Fabian Johnson at Borussia Monchengladbach

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Dec 16, 2004.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    felloveranddidanadu and Winoman repped this.
  2. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FJ did not get off the bench in Gladbach's 2-1 win

3. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Fabian will be a free agent come June 30. Would be nice to see him retire in MLS (if he wishes to do so).

felloveranddidanadu and edcrocker repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    double Johnson update.

1-Out for the weekend.

2-Not surprising seems headed out in Summer.
    Fabian Johnson has been playing for Borussia Mönchengladbach since 2014, but another year is unlikely to be added, in summer the signs are goodbye.
    https://www.kicker.de/4000000033336/transfermeldung/johnson_im_sommer_vor_abschied_aus_gladbach

Winoman repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    32 and injured 90% of the time. Time to hang them.

6. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Officially out in Summer.

Fabian Johnson will leave Borussia Mönchengladbach in the summer. Sports director Max Eberl confirmed on Monday. The 46-year-old also spoke about the fight for the Champions League spots.

The signs of Johnson's farewell had been increasing for some time, now Eberl officially confirmed: The American has no future with the foals, his contract, which expires after the season, will not be extended. This was "decided jointly," said Eberl. Where the variable Johnson, who has only been used six times in the Bundesliga this season, is still uncertain.
    https://www.kicker.de/777094/artike...n_neuen_vertrag_gespraeche_mit_raffael#twfeed

sakibomb523, schrutebuck and BostonRed repped this.
  8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I, for one, knew Fabio was getting long in the tooth, but he hit mid-forties in no time!

Really too bad he's been injured so much. He was a pretty interesting wide player when healthy and on his game.

9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A smart player could squeeze another couple mill out of some stupid team for the next few years. I don't know that MLS would be that stupid team as I think they've become smarter buyers after a few high profile fails over the past few years. But I think he could prolong his meal train at least a few more years. He should hang them up, but if he can get paid to spend more time in the trainers room, why wouldn't he?

IndividualEleven and largegarlic repped this.
  10. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember watching one of the few USMNT games he was in (I'm sure he has a bunch but it feels like few in hindsight) 2 or 3 more FabJos, this team goes up a level, at least.

On his day, very talented, smart, good athlete. Super versatile and can play a bunch of positions at a top level...again, when he's available. Would love to see him drop down a bit and string together a few good years.

Edit: Lol, he has 57 caps??? How'd he have time for that?

11. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Eredivisie/Jupiler would be good. He could get a 2-year deal there from an EL side that needs experience instead of a 1-year deal for relegation fodder in the BL. Of course he wouldn't get any extra $$ over the 2 seasons but if he wants to keep playing, why not?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's been plagued by chronic issues, I don't think it'd be a good thing for his health to go to a place where they actually expect him to play.

13. Konut

Konut Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd say there's a chance he ends up at LAFC. They're currently #1 in the Allocation order, and I could see Fabian wanting to play in LA. It would also be good for marketing IMO. Hard to say if the team would want him though with all of his injuries. Either way, I would like to see him in MLS and think it would be a decent spot for him. If he continues to attempt to play "at his highest level," he could probably get a contract with a mid to lower table Bundesliga team, but I think MLS would be just as good for him at this point in his career. I've always really like Fabian, and hope he finds the right new opportunity.

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  14. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be interesting to see him in MLS but I wouldn’t spring for him on my team. I don’t think he is a grinder and you need some of that in MLS with the travel, heat, turf,etc. Good luck to him on his next move.

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Isn't MLS just going to move all the teams to LA, and play all their games in Compton, Exposition Park, Rose Bowl and Colosseum? Fabio can handle the 110 north - even at rush hour.

16. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    It depends on how low Johnson is willing to go on salary.

With his recent injury history, if he wants something like $1 million a year or greater, then he'll have to hope that a middling club like Nashville or Vancouver snaps him up. If his salary target is lower, then I think the big spenders would be willing to chase him for depth and half the teams in the league would be after him.

ttrevett repped this.
  17. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be leery about paying a lot for him as injuries may well pop up. I would also be leery about not paying much for him as then he may not give a f**k. I do admit to being a bit jaded about FJ while recognizing his talent.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At his peak, he was quite good.

But his peak was short-lived. And now he's done.

ttrevett repped this.
  19. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep just ravaged by injury. Unfortunate, Fabian we hardly knew ye'.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what was his best club season?

21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #3621 KALM, Jun 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    He had a pretty solid run of maybe 5 seasons between 11/12 and 15/16.

In terms of productivity he contributed to 10 goals (goals+assists) in both the 11/12 and 15/16 Bundesliga seasons for Hoffenheim and Monchengladbach respectively, with another 2 goals and 2 assists in the Champions League in 15/16. He played the most Bundesliga minutes of his career in the 12/13 season for Hoffenheim (31 appearances, 30 of them starts).

In terms of table position, Monchengladbach finished top 4 in the Bundesliga in both 14/15 and 15/16, whereas Hoffenheim typically finished midtable while he was there.

And in terms of Kicker ratings, for what they're worth, his best years were with Monchengladbach in 14/15 and 15/16, where he received a rating of 3.37 and 3.36.

After that, things went downhill pretty fast, in large part due to injuries. He went from starting 25 Bundesliga games in 15/16 to starting 12 Bundesliga games in 16/17 to starting 5 Bundesliga games in 17/18. That number increased slightly last year, but so far he's started 3 Bundesliga games this season. His Kicker rating average also fell from 3.36 in 15/16 to 3.64 in 16/17 to 4.08 in 17/18. This year, it's at 4.17.

The USMNT is pretty fortunate that his peak roughly coincided with the 2014 World Cup.

Also worth keeping in mind when thinking about those numbers, I believe he mostly played fullback during his time at Hoffenheim, whereas he mostly played in the midfield during his prime Monchengladbach years.

22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The project and the situation have to suit me. I’m not really committed to specific countries or leagues. I can say that I really want to play football again and I am very motivated to take on a new challenge."

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Translation: they're not offering him a DP spot.

24. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3624 bshredder, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    If he comes to the US, my guess is that it will be Austin.

He still knows head coach Josh Wolff who was his teammate at 1860. But signing for Austin would mean shipping him out on loan until January

He’s definitely not a DP player

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  25. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.