FA rules on Sol charge...

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Oct 8, 2003.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  2. Brodo

Brodo New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Deep in Spurs territ
    Great news

Sol has been fined £20,000 by the FA but escaped without a ban!

3. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Hmmm...Sol escapes a ban just days after Sky sells its shares in Man U. Coincidence?

Geez, I'm starting to sound like Mr. Daoust here!

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    okay, so where is the fine on djemba-djemba for his lethal high boot? sheesh... sorry but even this fine is rediculous~~

hot under the sports collar~

phishy

6. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Agreed the fine is stupid for how high it is, but if I had to choose between the ban and the fine, I would take the fine.

7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also agreed. I just hope the FA didn't ease up on Sol because they know they're going to lower the boom on the players involved in the "Battle of Old Trafford."

8. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think some of it has to do with the England/Turkey game. With Rio out, then the FA would screw themselves if they decided give him a ban.

9. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy that Sol won't be suspended. Surprised at the fine, although I guess that's what you get for a violent conduct charge. Either way, glad he'll be with the team.

Is there a date set for the other hearings involving the Battle at OT?

10. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    Um...Mr. Waldman...there are ENOUGH wind-up merchants here already...point taken, though. Actually I might even have said earlier on I thought they'd use the same strategy as With Bergkamp after he'd been banned earlier and just fine him...although obviously I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been banned for life...

11. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Good to see the FA employing a least a modicum of common sense once in awhile. I agree it's still harsh for what Sol did and all, but the big thing is to not get suspended.

12. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    My thoughts exactly. What'll be really funny is if Sol blows that logic out of the water by "striking."

13. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    i know it's not a happy subject, but they could also have gone easy on him because of all he's gone through with his father. to then ban him would have just been rubbing salt in the emotional wounds

14. Martin Daoust

Martin Daoust New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Hartford, CT
    This IS the FA so I doubt such consideration would be forthcoming, although that now appears not to apply merely to Arsenal players...at least not ONLY Arsenal players...

15. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    I, for one, don't see any similarity between the Sol situation and the Rio situation.

The issue in Sol's case was whether his illegal reaction was excused by the fact that he was the victim of a vicious challenge. The issue in Rio's case is whether his illegal skirting of the FA's drugging regulations was excused because he was "moving house."

In Sol's case, the issue is limited to England's own borders and England's own idea of how the game ought to be played. In Rio's case, the issue implicates UEFA and FIFA concerns about drugging that go well beyond England's borders.

In Sol's case, I personally feel that the FA were behaving parochially. In Rio's case, I personally feel that the FA are behaving pragmatically.

Flame away.

16. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is right. My first thought upon seeing the number was
    "Da-a-a-a-amn...," which was then closely followed by a "Thank God," and several other such expressions of gratitude towards a higher power. I'm American and I don't really know all the nuances of the FA, but does anyone think that thay may have gone easy on him because of his dad passing away? I really don't know if they would take that into consideration in handing out disciplinary things, so if anyone could let me know, I'd appreciate it.

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see any reason you should be flamed. I agree with your assessment. There have been several articles (sorry don't have the links) mentioning that the FA is possibly worried about Turkey filing some sort of protest if Ferdinand were allowed to play, so I think they were acting (or slightly over-reacting) pragmatically.