FA Cup: Nott'ham Forest V The Arsenal, 9 Jan 2022

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by And_ROOS, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we only have 2 strikers right now?

2. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    This looked like one of those games in which the team seemed to think that they would win simply by showing up.

Outside of Leno, I don’t think anyone played particularly great.

GunnerJacket repped this.
  3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This looked a lot like the doldrums from earlier in the season. Arsenal didn't work hard except for the last 20' of the first half. They lacked creativity, they lacked urgency, and they're not good enough to overcome the inevitable 1 big mistake.

Soares, Tavares, Patino, and Lokanga we're poor, IMO. Nketiah iffy at best, and blew Arsenals best chance. Didn't like seeing Martinelli spending so much time out wide, as well.

4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah. Auba's with Gabon, Balogun has Covid and is about to leave on loan, so we've got Laca and Nketiah, neither of whom can score.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I thought Tierney did his part, and Holding did well for a reserve.

6. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my kingdom for a vlahovic, I guess

7. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    With both foresight and hindsight, it was a massive error to let AMN leave on loan so early in the window.

Related: Roma are in the middle of an epic collapse against Juve.

8. wanye_stirrear

wanye_stirrear Member+

Sep 19, 2002
    Maryland
    Tierney wasn’t bad. I agree.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This was the kind of lax display I would've have expected from Arsenal had they played the midweek fixture. Alas.

Watching the highlights, that was an inch perfect cross for the goal.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    starting a central midfield with a kid in, i believe, his first full year in U23 football and another in his first year in english football who has been out for a while is . . . a choice of some sort.

opting to start saka is . . . . also an interesting choice.

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #136 NorthBank, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Just back from my travels and watched the 4 minute highlights (probably no real reason to watch the full match it sounds).

With the white numbers I couldn't always tell who was who, and in particular on their goal was it White or Holding who couldn't seem to keep pace with Grabban on their goal?

They either just didn't have the raw pace at 84' or decided to ease up as they got close to goal. Had they kept up maybe just maybe they couldn't blocked the cross, or put pressure on the shooter? Disappointing. Yes I understand that it can be dangerous for a defender to close from behind in case they trip him for a PK, but...

Edit: Apparently it was Cedric who was so unable or unwilling to catch up with the runner. At least that's what they said on Arsecast.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #137 NorthBank, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Also it was a bad day all around for AFC...

The 9am ET women's match which I tried to stream but was nowhere to be found, ended BIR 2-0 ARS. I don't have any idea how this match played out, but on the numbers it looks similarly anemic: the bottom team in the league wins with 32% possession and holds us to 11(2) shots. Compared to Forest who had 33% and held us to 10(0) shots.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The women lost?! To Birmingham?! F*** that.

14. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I said it before the season started, I will say it again.

We had no depth before the season started. We needed at least 2 mids and a RB. Now our shopping list needs 2 STs, 2 CMs, a RB and a LB.

Put out a poor squad and disrespected a team who is decent at home, get the reality check.

2 steps forward, 1 step and a ********load of memes back.

15. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    All correct except this; Forest is bad at home. They have the 19th-best home record in the Championship this season.

This was their 5th home win in 16 matches in all comps.

Makes the performance and result even worse.

daedalus repped this.
  16. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't watched the match, and am unlikely to do so. But if we ultimately lost this match in MF (did we?) then yes it does seem very unfortunate (to use the kindest word I can muster) that we didn't have utility man Maitland-Niles for this match and perhaps the next couple against Pool/Spuds as well.

This is of course was compounded by Xhaka coming down with Covid several days ago, when we can be pretty sure that Arteta's MF plans for January hinged around using Xhaka as the primary building block.

But OTOH if Ainsley and the club were committed to getting him playing time on a loan, and if the main or most attractive buyer was Jose/Roma, who may have only wanted to do the deal if we did it now, then it would be quite possible that we weren't able to fully dictate loan terms, especially a later timing.

With 20/20 hindsight about all of the above, including Xhaka, it's easy to say that it would've been wiser to keep AMN with us, AND USE HIM, for at least the portion of January until AFCON players come back. But then that would also be a bit hypocritical of us, or at least me since I've thought for some time now that we should ship him out.

So in the end, I don't feel like club management should be crucified for this decision, even if it turned out to be quite regretful for a portion of January, a key/pivotal month.

17. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    The best outcome of the FA Cup is to win the cup and secure at least a spot in the Europa League next year.

IMO, the next best result is losing in the first match. I'd rather bomb out now than make a run to the quarters or semis or even the final and have nothing to show for it. So I'm not that upset about the result (I also didn't watch, so that may factor in as well).

Focus on the league and finishing top 4. And since they are already in the semis, might as well try to win the League Cup.

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a sensible, legit position. Problem with the League Cup is that it's a fairly hollow victory (it's "only" a domestic cup and even at that it's a distant second to FA Cup, so many people think the whole competition should go away) AND it doesn't qualify you for EL, only the even more maligned ECL.

CarlosKaiser repped this.
  19. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The playoff round, no less. There's a two-leg playoff that would take place after league matchdays 2 and 3 next season.

20. CarlosKaiser

CarlosKaiser Member+

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 30, 2018
    Kansas City
    Oh I agree, I'm only saying go for the League Cup since they're already in the semis and there is no chance of a long FA Cup run. If there is a player struggling who can't go in both the League Cup and the NLD, prioritize the NLD, but I don't think you should completely throw away the League Cup at this point.

21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States