FA Attempt to Catch as Cech Can

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by the101er, Dec 14, 2004.

1. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    'If the attacking players ask for a quick free-kick the referee will allow them to get on with it. In the Arsenal v Chelsea game Graham Poll was seen to ask Thierry Henry if he wanted a quick free-kick. Once Henry had confirmed that he did, Graham Poll asked Eidur Gudjohnsen to move away from the ball and signalled for Henry to take the free-kick.'

That pretty much is Graham Poll admitting he's made a mistake.

If the attacking player says he wants to take the quick free kick, then there is no penalty for players within 10 yards of the ball. Poll was out of line in moving Gudjohnsen.

As I read the rule, you can't have it both ways which is what Poll gave Arsenal. Why would he give Arsenal an advantage. Maybe he's an Arsenal fan. Cech was just speculating not accusing.

Too much investigation of this sort of thing, is the real bottomline here.

2. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    To be honest initially I was in thinking with you that poll made a mistake. I think it has become apparent that most of us simply do not understand what the rules in this situation actually are. Im still not entirely clear myself, but am now convinced we did nothing wrong.

Chiefly because this thing has happened against us with leeds, for us against Aston Villa and yourselves, against you for Arsenal, and for you against West Ham.

Surely if it was illegal it wouldnt have happened so many times in such a short space of time?

Until one of us bothers to actually look up the rules somewhere though discussing it further is fairly pointless, as we will all just be throwing baseless opinions around - and such opinions are invariably club biased.

As for Poll being a closet Gooner I would day "Don't make me laugh" and point you at this thread:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141839

3. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Any nominations for good ref's. Sometimes I say that was a well kept game but I never take note or remember who did the good job, it is only when I see Poll, Riley or others muck up a game that I and most seem to take note.

4. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    The only one that seems to have any respect, both with the players and the fans is Colina. Hes not fautless, but you dont need to to have that respect. I think that even when he gets it wrong most people believe his is doing his genuine best to play fair.

I also forgot to add - I dont think Cech should be charged for what he said, any more than Wenger should be for what he said about Ruud. It doesnt really matter if the comments are factual or not. I feel that when people are passionate about things, in this case their sport and proffesion, then things are said in the passion of the moment.

I think it is farsical to deny people their own humanity, even though The Law seems to want to do this increasingly

5. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Has Eidur said Poll told him to move out of the way? Because from replays Eidur looks to be signalling to Cech to move over because he know's Henry is going to take a quick kick.

Who said the quote in the first post? Cech or Poll?

6. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    I dont think thats a quote - but its very similar to what Cech said to the press following the match.

If it is a Poll quote then it would require Poll to be reffering to himself in the 3rd person, which is unlikely, so I dont know what he means by "That pretty much is Graham Poll admitting he's made a mistake".

Also in the same article Cech was quoted as saying "but we won the match" so I think that once again the press may be - fabricating - to suit its own ends"

7. the101er

the101er New Member

Jan 29, 2003
    Here it is. Straight from the mouth of the Professional Game Match Officials Limited.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=319288&cc=5901

In the first paragraph which I didn't originally quote, the ProGameMols say:

'Referees will ask attacking players if they require a quick free-kick; if they say no then the referee will manage the free-kick and ensure that all defending players are at least 9.15 metres from the ball.'

So there's your direct contradiction from none other than the ProGameMols themselves. I ask you, even you Arsenal fans, is there a higher authority than the ProGameMol ?

I didn't think so.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Eidur is now on this debate as well.

http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3247730

9. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    interesting, thanks for the link.

I wish there was audio from this, like the ref was miked or something like that.

and now its going to be a "he said/she said" type of thing with Poll saying one thing and Chelsea saying another thing. I did make a comment at the bar that Poll would make a decision that would decide the game, and he did for both sides. This call for the Chelsea fans and the no call in the box for some Arsenal fans. I for one do not think it was a penalty.

I do not think we will ever get a clear answer on this.

10. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    ProGameMols is not Graham Poll. If Poll is quoted as saying he told Eidur to move out of the way, than there is a point.

How the hell does ProGameMols know what was said between two/three people on the pitch?

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Whats that lad withthe really wierd name?

Uriah Renee (sp?).

I think he's pretty good.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wiley. I thought he reffed a great game in the Liverpool/Arsenal match.

13. bmw9983

bmw9983 New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Boston
    Totally irrelevant, but Poll reffed the Blackburn home game from earlier in the year, and made a decision against Chelsea...leading to the inevitable chant Mr. Poll has become acquainted with...good stuff.

14. Bluto11

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    agreed

15. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Oh yeah - he failed to award us two penalties and booked Lampard when Volz stepped on Lampard's foot in the area.

16. gunnerdude11

gunnerdude11 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    den haag-for now
    IT WAS A DRAW!!!!! Get over it! I could see being pissed if we had won the game because of the call, but it ended in a DRAW. In Arsenal's defense, if GoodJohnson had kicked it past Lehman, he would be a hero in this forum. Poll made an iffy decision and it went against Chelsea. Thats It. If Cech had paid attention and stopped the ball instead of worrying exactly how the wall should be set, then this wouldn't have been a problem.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    MOST OF US HERE AGREED A DRAW WAS A FAIR RESULT.
    Are Arsenal fans as blind as Wenger? I hope you don't have to pluck out one eye when you decide to support Arsenal in honor of Arsene.

Can't do both, can you. :rolleyes: