F1 2oo9

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by the cup, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Jean Todt is the new FIA president taking over for Max "The Nazi" Mosley...

Hello new wave of Ferrari titles... :rolleyes:

2. IvanIV

IvanIV King of all He purveys

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. todt always seemed to be confused to me while he was at ferrari...

3. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. I'm completely torn right now with Alonso driving a Ferrari next year. Talk about cognitive dissonance. In my short time following this sport, I've learned that I can't expect a full season without some type of controversy. I just don't want to see anything like what happened with Renault ever again.

4. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol. more gray hair but not so much in the wrinkles dept...

6. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nascar driver Kyle Busch is rumored to go to the new American team USF1 altough his Nascar team is already denying those rumors.

7. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hhhhmmm.....

i'd root for him. of all the names rumored so far i think he'd make the biggest impact and have the most success.

8. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    We all did...

:(

9. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    IMO, I think Tony Stewart would be the best option. And I'm judging that from his performances on Watkins Glen as well as the 24 hour races he did at Sebring.

I don't know much about Busch, I've never seen him race outside of an oval.

10. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tony would do well also. ;)

11. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So, starting in a few hours, the first free practice for the brand new Abu Dhabi GP in the spectacular Yas Marina.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike Singapore, it looks more like a proper track even if it somewhat reminds me of Valencia (eek). Normally Tilke did his best to put straights after slow corners and finish them with hairpin bends which normally improves the chances of overtaking. There are some tricky corners like turn 16 and we can add to that the strange pit exit alley which might lead to big troubles.

I played it on GP4, I found it OK but not great in terms of layout but it's the kind of bland track that can lead to good racing provided that cars are close enough...That's one of the parameters we'll discover. The lap times might be in the 1:52 -1:54 bracket ; very difficult to know since the level of grip is not yet known, especially with the influence of dust brought on the track from the nearby desert.

Bruno Senna on board :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikvjwBEYk50"]YouTube - First F1 laps of Yas Marina[/ame]

12. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looks like an assault rifle. Any idea how fast the cars will get up to on those straight aways?

13. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I haven't watched any session yet but given the slow section of the track the top end speed in straights must surely be compromised...

Well, the lap times are rather in the 1:41, that's a huge discrepancy with what I had in GP4 !! 10 seconds ! :eek: Very unusual, most of the time, it doesn't exceed 3 or 4 seconds even for brand new tracks where people never actually raced. Hem, it's a beta version after all...:D

Anyway, the 'stop-start' nature of the layout may favour the Mac Larens and their efficient KERS ; other drivers will be eaten at the exit of turn 7 !

14. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Al Queda sponsored race?

15. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well they settled for F1 when NASCAR turned down the idea of the Jihad 500. They were also turned down by the FIA to host a 24 hour race with lighting at night provided by grenades and gunfire.

16. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Confirmed moves for next year:

Alonso --> Ferrari
    Barrichello--> Williams
    Brunno Senna ---> Campos Racing
    Kubica----> Renault

Glock is almost a done deal for Williams.

18. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I really think Barrichello should consider retiring. He had a good season this year, but he has never been able to match his team-mate, granted he's never had the right to be number one driver for his teams, but he clearly isn't going to win a WDC at Williams, so I think the best thing for him would be to call it a day or move on to DTM or something.

Alonso to Ferrari was known about for quite a while. I can only imagine how long before he gets upset about some mundane detail and complains that Raikkonen gets this and that. :rolleyes:

Nice to see Senna make it into F1. I believe he was close to getting a seat at Brawn (when it was still Honda) but he had his seat stolen by Rubens at the last minute.

19. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Raikkonen will leave Ferrari. Don't know where to yet. But Alonso's teammate will be Massa.

20. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Rumor is:

Räikkönen back to McLaren to replace Kovalainen
    Rosberg to Brawn to replace Barichello

However, Rosberg is still a candidate for McLaren. Mercedes wants a German driver in their team and after Vettel extended his contract with RedBull, Rosberg seems like the likely choice. Still, it seems to be more likely for Rosberg to join Brawn right now.

21. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That's certainly interesting.

22. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh.

23. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh as in "Huh?" or eh as in "meh". Either way, I'm not sure what he's getting at, either. I'm still torn with Alonso going to Ferrari. I'm just glad he's not with Renault, anymore. That's clearly a team moving in reverse.

But I enjoyed seeing the success that Webber had this year. He seems like an all around good guy.

24. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Sad to see him go even if it was a matter of time and I can understand that driving for Ferrari is a dream for many. there will always be a special relationship between him and Renault, it has been his family. But it's true it's been an awful season for them in so many aspects...

That said, Renault like Ferrari clearly abandoned the development during the course of the season to focus on next year. Clearly, a brand new diffuser and designing the car to withstand a big capacity fuel tank are on the engineers menu.

Concerning the GP, it has been all right IMO, not great but OK. Kobayashi did impress but really for a driver who was dominated by Grosjean earlier this year in GP2, it really shows that one ought to take a lot of elements when analysing individual performances...In other words, the Toyota wasn't that bad and the Renault must be a bitch to drive.

I'd be gutted if Romain was dumped without having a proper full season ; I think Renault has some moral duty towards him and his career...And I'm being objective there, that means it hasn't got everything to do with his nationality. Anyway, he's Swiss ! :p

25. IvanIV

Apr 8, 2006
    TN
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh as in not that interesting.

alonso to ferrari is pretty cool. hope he does well there. he should barter and get his old buddy Jarno a ride there too....