Fútbol Chileno

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by Dave141, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    Ever since I got my DirecTV ParaTodos dish 15 months ago, I have regularly checked the guide for TV Chile, expecting to find some soccer there, even if only occasionally. After many months of looking, I finally gave up. I just assumed that the rights they once had to televise the league had not been renewed.

Imagine my surprise on Saturday night when I was flipping through the channels and started watching live soccer (U. de Chile - U. de San Felipe)!

Does anyone know why they are suddenly showing Fútbol Chileno? Mind you, I'm not complaining, I would just like more info, such as: a) will they have a regular game of the week? b) is there any way I can find out the schedule in advance? c) is this a result of a multi-year agreement?

Any assistance on this issue would be very helpful.

Thanks,

2. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Try

http://www.tvchile.cl/index.php

Click on Programacion on the left. On Sunday, it will show Wanderers X U. Catolica (live) and on Monday morning, Conception X Colo Colo (en diferido).

Anyway, there are lots of domestic soccer on TV Chile, but no real fan with the right mind (except Chilean) would be interested in Chilean futbol. A few years ago, Fox Sports World covered one Chilean game per week, and that decision of covering a bush league was widely criticized. Covering Chilean league is likely covering the Romanian league or the Finnish league. These are 6th tier leagues that very few non-immigrants of those countries are interested in. It's a waste of bandwidth. That's why TV Chile can show the games without any objections from Fox Sports International, ESPN International, GolTV, Close-circuit operators, etc.

The only games of interest on TV Chile are the Copa Mundial Eliminatorias. Back in 2001, the games involving Chile were shown on tape-delayed (live games belonged to closed-circuit providers CCN).

3. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    I had checked the TV Chile website and was already aware of the matchups being broadcast this weekend. However, they didn't have any background information as to why they were showing those matches. All it says is that it is part of a joint effort between Canal del Fútbol and TV Chile. That's what I was curious about. And although I can't say this with 100% certainty, I am pretty sure that there was no domestic soccer being aired on TV Chile from June 2003 through July 2004, as I had checked the guide pretty regularly during that time out of curiosity. So, the situation has changed somewhat recently, and I didn't know if anyone had some info.

I am trying to ignore the fact that I must not be "a real fan of right mind" for even wasting the effort to think about such things. But a quick review of the rankings of the "Strongest National League of the World" as determined by the International Federation of Football History & Statistics (found at http://www.iffhs.de) lists the Chilean league at #18, which is just two spots below Mexico at #16. That's a far cry from Romania's #41 ranking and Finland's #48. And the United States? They aren't even in the Top 50. So if Chile is a sixth-tier league, what does that say about the MLS?

Now, obviously I understand that MLS is my domestic league, but I have read countless posts from people wondering how much A-League or Lamar Hunt Cup was going to be shown on FSW. Not once did I hear anyone suggest those people must not be real fans for wanting to watch such a "bush league" that was a "waste of bandwidth." And I wasn't asking FSW to pre-empt West Brom - Aston Villa for the Chilean game of the week.

As I recall, you have no problem criticizing Oliver for mixing his opinions in with facts on his posts, but it seems you have no problem doing it yourself. I'm not asking anybody to watch the games with me. Heck, I probably won't have time to watch anymore than what I saw last night. I simply had a question and figured someone might have some more info.

4. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    It's probably true that TV Chile didn't carry any domestic soccer for the past 12 months. But it had been carrying domestic soccer since 2000. So if what you said is true, last year was simply an aberration.

Yeah, and what's the criteria of ranking the "strongest national league of the world"? It's by continental competition. Do you think the Copa Libertadores is the equivalence of the Champions League? Look no further than the exports of star players from South America to Europe to see the flaw of this ranking.

If they put the CL as the equivalence of the Copa Libertadores, this ranking is obviously flawed.

If they factor in the Copa Libertadores as inferior to the CL and normalize the points in the rankings, then what is the factor they used? And based on what they determined that factor? Worse yet, the Asian/African/Concacaf leagues are obviously inferior to the European leagues in general. That's why the highest ranked African league is #27, highest ranked Asian league is #39. Now, how do they determine that factor? Is it by an objective criteria or wishy washy?

Even their first statement

"The classification of the best leagues of the world is made objectively without any out side influence of any sort."

is subject to debate...

Heck, I am not a fan of the MLS, so if it's ranked #150, so be it. You obviously know me from my past postings. I am a Eurosnob, you know?

Relax. It's obvious that I touched a nerve when I criticize the Chilean league. No sensible person would confuse that my harsh words ("bush leagues", "waste of bandwidth") on the Chilean league as "facts".