Extratime on 1340 KCKN Wednesdays from 5-6pm

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by KC Salty, Jun 4, 2003.

1. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I probably should have posted this prior to tonight's show so I'll just have to remember to bump the thread next week.

Anyway, this is a good show. I encourage everyone to call in. The call in number is (816) 576-7369. I know SoccerNut Scott called in today, and I've called in each of the last three weeks. Kent, the host, never leaves anyone on hold for long, and is always willing to stop whatever he is doing and take a call.

The format of the show is as follows: 1st segment is to recap last week's Wizards game. 2nd segment is to run down the week that was in MLS. 3rd segment is to preview the Wizards upcoming match. But Kent has said that he's also wanting to talk about the national team or any other soccer you want.

He also said that at 1:30 pm on Fridays there is a short segment that is usually an interview with a Wizards player, coach, or front office person. Last Friday's interview was with Curt Johnson. Check it out and call in if your schedule allows.

2. KentinKC

KentinKC New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Kansas City
    Other Notables

Thanks for your support Salty, also if you all have any questios about the team let me know I can try to find inside things out before I go on the air, I am working to see who or how Chris Kleins shoes will be filled. Any requests for the show let me know. Extra Time is definitely Cauldron and Big Soccer friendly so please feel free to call and contribute. Thank-you everybody!!!

3. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened in tonight but could get to a phone in time. Well done I will try to get in next Weds if not friday mid-day.

4. SoccerNutScott

SoccerNutScott New Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Olathe, KS
    Re: Other Notables

Kent does an excellent job and deserves each of us to do our best to call in and give him our support. We have bitched and whined for a long time about nobody giving any love to the sport of soccer in the media. This station is giving a lot of love to the Wizards and soccer in general everyday and now we have our own show to listen too. I listen to sports talk all day and very rarely call into the shows but wanted to show my appreciation at what they are doing. Kent does an excellent job and you can tell he is truly excited to be talking about Soccer on the radio. Thanks Kent and 1340.

5. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    I usually don't call into shows, but I figured there probably weren't that many listeners so I'd get in. I was a little surprised not to talk to a screener first, but got right in.

I do like the show, and I am happy to see some media coverage. I'm still pissed the comets and now the t-bones have a play-by-play home, but still nothing for the 5th major sport and 3rd in our town. At least this is progress.

I'll tell all my tailgating buddies to start listening to the show.

6. KentinKC

KentinKC New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Kansas City
    No Play by Play

I share in your frustration, that there is no radio coverage of our Wizards,... all I will say is, Extra Time is phase one, next year will hopefully bring even more M.L.S. coverage. With you all's support and interest from advertisers, we will build, it and it will come, (corny I know, but it works). lol

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    More radio coverage tonight:

from kcwizards.com

Tony Meola on 810 WHB Tonight at 6:00 p.m.

KANSAS CITY, MO (Thursday, June 5, 2003) - Kansas City Wizards goalkeeper Tony Meola will co-host "Out of Bounds" tonight on 810 WHB. Meola joins Kansas City Chiefs tackle Marcus Spears and 810 WHB on-air personality Steven St. John in hosting “Out of Bounds”, a weekly, hour-long show dedicated to sports.

Tonight’s show will be broadcast live at 6:00 p.m. CT at The Other Place in Olathe. Fans are encouraged to watch live at The Other Place or call in and talk sports with Tony Meola, Marcus Spears and Steven St. John. The call in number is 816-381-0810.

The Other Place is located at 16590 W. 135th Street (corner of 135th and MurLen Rd.) For directions, call The Other Place at (913) 791-9500.

8. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    I've listened to the meola 810 show before, and marcus spears is BRUTAL.

he sounds so dumb, all I can do is cringe and picture ssj and meola rolling their eyes when he opens his fat mouth.

Plus, the only soccer talk is:

Marcus: I should go to one of you games. I have season tickets.
    Tony: So why don't you go?
    Marcus: you're right. I should.
    Tony: So how about saturday? what are you doing?
    Marcus: oh, ahhhh, I'm busy saturday. Why are all your games on saturday night?

9. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is really hard for me to call that station anymore becuase NO ONE there knows jack squat about soccer. Even the show on thursday night is a real joke.

10. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Everyone needs to listen to 1340 every Wed. night. Kent does a really good job covering soccer. I'm a big fan from the Comets broadcasts and call in show with Nick Vasos. Let's fill up the phone lines next week. Kent knows I'll be listening and calling.

11. KentinKC

KentinKC New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Kansas City
    Tomorrow's Guest

Currently the guest for tomorrow is Eric Quill, I am pumped about this guy, he has been a real shot in the arm for this team 15th in the league with 2 goals, should be fun. Feel free to call and talk with Quill. Time will be somewhere around 1:20 to 1:30ish.

12. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Can't listen, but maybe you can play a little bit back on Wed. Keep up the good work Kent.

13. KentinKC

KentinKC New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Kansas City
    Do Ihave to?

No if it's what the peolpe want ...fine, but GOD I hate tape delay radio. I appreciate these guys coming on but lets face it, what did he say we did not already know. Wednesdays are for you guys to dominate the air waves, I started out as a caller, I know what it means to not have a voice. Wednesdays are the MLS fan's canvas, and callers usually have a MUCH more colorful pallet than athletes.

14. dcrpoop

dcrpoop BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 15, 2000
    Hell'sKitchen is my
    Is there a web cast and what time is the show for est?

15. KentinKC

KentinKC New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Kansas City
    In the works

I know it sounds bush, but not yet,... but it is in the mix, should'nt be very much longer, BELIEVE me I am all over their backs on this, we are a young station and it is all coming. If you want I can let you listen on hold, I realize that's a pain but I do what I can.

16. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Do Ihave to?

Actually none of us knew about Arnaud starting or the status of Diego's injury until Quill revealed that info.

I wouldn't replay it on Wednesday, it will be old news by then.

I plan to listen and call in again next Wednesday.

17. rallen

rallen New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Shawnee, Ks
    Kent. Any interviews from Saturday's game? You had some interesting stories from the Wizzards last home game. Talk to you Wed.

18. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am planning on calling in, a certain striker needs some public critisim.

19. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    spoon, if you're going to call in to blast brown, that's lame. I think most observers will say when all are healthy simu and wolff are the ideal partnership, but that hasn't been the case. brown does what gansler tells him. he's just not as good as those other two or most strikers in mls, but he works hard and gets in good position to get goals.

he misses a lot of sitters, but he's a good teammate, doesn't complain and has a good workrate. why single him out when KC is top of the table in the west?

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    1) Brown should be on the MLS scoring leaders table with the amount of chances he's had. So the criticism is just.
    2) You obviously dont know Spoon. :)

21. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Defensively and offensively the effort can't be questioned. All you can criticise is his finishing. Even that criticism chould be tempered slightly by the play of he keepers he faced. Brown has as many goals and assists as Klein and Quill. He sits 13th in scoring. Only Simu and Preki have more points on the team.

Team game. Last I checked Preki, Quill, Klein, Simu, Zotinka, Wolff, Conrad, and Gomez all have glaring misses the last 4 games. Brown is just leading that category.

22. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    This thread about Brown:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=54089

23. KC Salty

KC Salty Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The as promised pre-show BUMP.

24. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bumb and on hold. God I hope I don't suck.

25. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done Salty!

Kop is that you?