Expectations for the Hex

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico and the C American teams have a big advantage in style. They all grow up playing a very similar way while the US is trying to transition away from their classic style to a style more like their southern neighbors with some Dutch / German mixed in. It will take awhile before that style becomes comfortable for our players while for teams getting together for short intervals it's a big advantage to already be well versed from birth on how to play together. It's one of the things I'm glad Stewart is doing at all age groups even if we take a few lumps right now. BTW, I was in the group kind of ridiculing GB for how he intended to play Adams but don't know what to make of RBL doing the same thing his last few games. I think with right back a strength he won't be needed there but maybe GB isn't as dopey as some have suggested. Really bummed that we aren't getting to see evidence with their play right about now.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Love the less bulky Jozy.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Adams at rb for the US was 'dopey' because he was the best CM in the team. Moving him to accommodate Trapp/Bradley was a dumb idea, rightly ridiculed.

4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt. That run to celebrate after he scores was more running than he’s done in a game in years.

5. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Exactly, nobody ridiculed Egg for thinking Adams could play some odd position, different whether we are in the attack or on defense. And I agree, the fact RBL is doing some form of it shows well on Egg.

However, these are two very different teams. RBL isn't shuffling Adams around so Trapp can start in the squad's most influential position, or so MB can get the caps record. If the US had a better player than Adams at the 6, I think fans would be happy moving Adams to get him/keep him on the field!

largegarlic repped this.
  6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The central midfield options behind Adams and McKennie could certainly use more work.

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think our depth there at CDM/CM is actually quite solid. Holmes and Yueil are solid. If you want more experience, you've got Morales. If you want experienced MLSer, you've got Bedoya.

As always, we're thinnest at striker and winger. We have plenty of good, strong defenders and defensive midfielders.

Three and Three repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I suspect Yueil lacks the athleticism for high-level international play. Bedoya is now passed it. Morales is solid depth. We have some interesting up and coming talent. Need experience, though.

DHC1 repped this.
  9. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Neither Holmes nor Yueill have proven any ability to play at the major league level. They may be able to but the odds are against it.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    C'ship is basically a top-8 Euro league, certainly a significant step above MLS. In the '18/'19 addition, only 5 teams spent below what TFC spends on wages.

As can be discerned from his every touch videos, Holmes's athleticism is top notch. He now seems to now be putting it together, in terms of all around game.

Eighteen Alpha and RalleeMonkey repped this.
  11. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yueil's athleticism is fine. He runs all around the field for Almeyda. He's also used to significantly more time on the ball and more space because he's used to MLS.

Bedoya's 32, that's far from "passed it". We've played CDM's that are much older in the recent past (e.g JJ, Beckerman), and he's infinitely preferable to a younger guy like Trapp, or a nothing-burger like Bradley (who is a whole 2 months younger than Bedoya).

Three and Three repped this.
  12. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holmes is not Yueil, he's much better. If you think about it, Holmes is playing against top MLS-level competition most of the time, and the rest of the time, he plays against the equivalent of bottom-feeding EPL teams (the teams fighting for promotion into the EPL).

Last year, had Derby won the Final in the CShip Playoffs, he'd be in an EPL relegation scrap right now. That's not a team that is handing out a spot lightly. Meanwhile, while the Earthquakes refuse to buy better players, Yueil is a cheap option to plug a pretty awful defense (especially at CB).

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bedoya plays box-to-box and has never really played the holder. Perhaps he could play the role for the US, but it would be only the 2nd instance, the 2015 fiasco against Brazil being the first.

Yueill doesn't appear to the have quickness needed for international level.It's great he has the stamina to run around in Almeyda's system, though. Would take Tommy Thompson over him, as a CM prospect.

14. phillyfan593

phillyfan593 Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Our next camp for the United States men’s team could be for a hex game considering all the games in the summer are canceled. Crazy to think. Wish some of the A players got some more time together with GB. Oh well, no excuses.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Everyone is operating under the same conditions.

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Adams should be the #6 against good teams but also that it may be worth a look at more offensive #6's because we have to play bunkering CONCACAF teams to qualify. With the excess of good right backs now though Adams should always be a midfielder. That experiment is over and now with virtually no time left before games that count no here's no time for anything other than clear starters combined with the best formation(s). If somehow Olympic qualifying is able to resume a little latitude is left for that.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Would like to see some of the RBs moved to LB. But Gregg seems obsessed with a left-footed LB. Sam Vines, Tim Ream, and Gasper. Are they better LBs than Hollingshead, Kyle Duncan, or Aaron Herrera? Probably not, but GGG wants that left-footer.

18. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He could have just played AR.

Also don’t forget his favorite lefty LB Daniel Lovitz.

19. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    This is going to be very interesting. Egg has somehow gotten on the good side of many fans due to one experimental January camp. Throws out Uly for a cap against CR, and now apparently all is forgiven.

Seems the past has been completely ignored, or at least forgiven? The two matches before that were against Canada. Starters for at least one of those must-win games were Bradley, Lovitz, Zardes, Roldan, and Ream.

If our next camp is before the first Hex matches, I would assume all of those players would be in camp, and many getting legitimate minutes. Trapp was also on the bench for both of the Canada matches (despite his poor play, he has kept receiving call-ups).

truefan420 repped this.
  20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m legit scared that cause we didn’t have March with the euros that it will be another excuse for why he didn’t call them in next and why we need to stick with the MLS guys he knows better.

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Gregg did well in the second match against Canada. The team solid against a Costa Rica who had fielded much of its normal lineup.

Let's see if he can build off this. I wouldn't be surprised if WCQers are postponed.

22. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    CR game was the first I watched in years. And maybe so many had low expectations from his previous matches, but I thought it was kinda "meh". Didn't look awful, didn't look very threatening. Outside of the first 20 minutes, it was generally more bad than good, I thought. Yes, the team was young, but if that was a solid effort for Egg's boys, color me slightly unimpressed.

He has shown better in the last two matches, but my point is two matches isn't much to write home about in the grand scheme. Agree with truefan, my fear is he could easily go back to Brucie Redux, and call in the "EXPERIENCE".

Hope not.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wouldn't be suprised if WCQing were to get moved back.

24. Mahtzo1

Mahtzo1 Member+

Jan 15, 2007
    So Cal
    I think the real wildcard is whether you are looking long term or short. Short was pretty bad not too long ago (Bradley and Trapp). Now Yuell and Morales have entered the picture. Holmes may be on the near horizon (after Covid dies away) but we have several potential game changers that could be able to help us before the end of the hex and by the world cup. If one or two of them come good, our midfield could be pretty good.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #200 IndividualEleven, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    By 'depth at CM', I mean players who are better than Alfredo Morales.

Young CMs who might breakthrough:
    The FCD Kids, Alan Sonora(21), Jole Sonora(23), Christian Cappis(20), Frankie Amaya(19), Jackson Yueill(22), Brenden Aaronson(19), Mauricio Pineda(22), Owen Otasowie(19), Keaton Parks(22), Hossani Dotson(22)

Mid-career CMs who might breakthrough in their prime years:
    Marco Delgado(24), Christian Roldan(24), Duane Holmes(25)

A position change to CM could lead to a breakthrough:
    Julian Araujo(18), Tommy Thompson(24)