Expectations for the Hex

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by DHC1, Jan 24, 2020.

1. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    It is criminal to play Adams at RB while will trapp plays DM.

sXeWesley repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The combination of being ruthless, a monopoly, and single entity is the really big issue here.

DHC1 repped this.
  4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #304 IndividualEleven, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Correct, Yedlin had a secondary assist in the Canada game.

He piled on the assists in that first year and a half when used as essentially a deep-lying winger.

Nominal position is not as important as how the player is deployed. Zlatan and Messi interpret the forward position in different ways.

Tactically, as wingers, Dest and Yedlin would be used in very different ways.

Yedlin had an assist in the Concacaf Cup. He really changed the game when subbed on as a winger.

5. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    #305 DHC1, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    All of that is manageable except for the fact that no one at USSF is willing or capable of advocating strongly for the USSF when its interest aren’t aligned with MLS.

on one hand you’ve got a ruthlessly efficient organization and on the other side, you’ve got a naive, unsophisticated inbred organization that primarily relies on the efficient one for most decisions....it actually boggles my mind how people can think that SUM isn’t inherently biased in favor of MLS - it’s the Yankees vs the Bad News Bears.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2019/03/1...uador-chile-adams-pulisic-yedlin-weah-sargent

7. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's very fast. Especially when running at tired legs. As a starter, on the wing, I want someone who can do more than occasionally get off a good cross. I'd rather Yedlin at RB and Dest at RW, if you're going to have both on the field at the same time.

I don't see a ton of difference between Cannon and Yedlin, although I recognize that Cannon's much more of a stay-at-home RB for us. Meanwhile, Yedlin's offensive skills are only marginally superior.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other, play whichever one's more in-form for club. Cannon's marginally younger, and hopefully makes a move to a better league soon, but we'll see how much more he develops.

Dest's younger and probably superior to both (although he doesn't have Yedlin's recovery speed, that's for sure) at RB.

8. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    1. I never look at mlssoccer player ratings and they are definitionally biased.

2. players make mistakes. Pulisic didn’t score and was pulled after 60 - should we bench him as well?

9. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will never understand the suggestion that Yedlin play anywhere other than right back. He is absolutely terrible in the final third and kills attack after attack, the suggestion by Berhalter or anyone else that he has a good cross on him is ludicrous, it perhaps his biggest weakness. This is an even bigger issue when we have more actual players and less donkeys now who need real partners to combine with.

I am not trying to just crap on Yedlin, just Yedlin at RM/RW/anywhere further forward. Yedlin is absolutely useful as a basic right back and I don't see much difference between he and Cannon. If any of the RB candidates were to play farther forward I think Dest clearly makes more sense than Cannon or Yedlin.

truefan420 repped this.
  11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. The big difference for Yedlin and Cannon is two. Yedlin is challenged at a much much higher level. Not to say Cannon couldn’t rise to the occasion but no matter how you skin it he hasn’t. The other, Yedlin has world class speed. That can’t be taught. Cannon isn’t slow but Yedlin is special fast.

DHC1 repped this.
  12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Yedlin is actually pretty productive when used as a deep-lying winger by JK in '14-'15. GB saw that and wanted to tap into that. The articled explained this.

Just saying 'x sucks' is not much of an argument. One sees too much of this in society: emotion and feeling over reason.

Posters get caught to much in nominal positions. There are numerous ways to play a given position.

Possession can be played through Dest. He could probably be an a-mid for the US. He is quality defender

Cannon is a quality convention right-back and probably the best pure defender of the 3 of himself, Dest, and Yedlin.

Yedlin has rare pace and quickness while having an excellent workrate.

13. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yedlin isn't very good with the ball at his feet and is a poor passer and crosser. That isn't "emotion or feeling over reason", just a pretty obvious observation to anyone who has watched him over the years. He's clearly better suited to play RB or RWB.

tomásbernal and truefan420 repped this.
  14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Tactically, Yedlin would not be used in a manner that stresses passing and ball-handling. This has been explained numerous time. The explained it. Gregg explained. Not taking on board what has been explained is just emotion and feeling.

15. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Explaining" the same dumb idea repeatedly does not make it any better.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Sticking your fingers in your ears and 'ninnner' 'ninnner' 'ninnner' 'ninnner'
    'ninnner' 'ninnner' 'ninnner'. Doesn't solve anything.

17. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Saying 'x is dumb' isn't much of an argument. Do better.

18. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, pointing out the obvious weaknesses of a player which would make him a poor fit for the position you've been advocating that he play (in the front 3 of a 433) is actually a very strong argument, but ymmv...

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Those points had already been addressed.

20. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not effectively

21. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
  22. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  23. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    The interesting takeaways for me are:

1) He seems concerned about how to fairly award that last spot in the Hex to either El Salvador or Canada when neither had a chance to play more games this spring. It seems obvious that a playoff between the two would be the fairest option in a vacuum, but I don't know how you would justify that procedurally.

2) He thinks that it's quite likely that at least the first round of qualifying will be played in empty stadiums. I think that helps the U.S. We'd get a bigger benefit from not having to deal with rowdy fans in Central America and Mexico compared to the loss we'd get from not having our fans at home games.

24. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    #324 KALM, Apr 14, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    1.) I wonder if you could procedurally justify a home-and-home playoff between El Salvador and Canada that doesn't immediately award the 6th spot to the winner, but whose sole value instead is providing additional FIFA points (with an elevated importance coefficient equivalent to a World Cup qualifier if FIFA allows it?) to each team's total. Assuming that could make any difference, that would give Canada a fair chance to catch up to El Salvador's points total without discarding the advantage El Salvador already has up to this point according to the process laid out beforehand.

2.) This would provide an interesting experiment to test whether the USMNT's historical weakness on the road is due more to stadium atmosphere, or something else instead (pitch conditions, or the travel itself, etc.).

largegarlic repped this.
  25. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I suspect it's all of the above factors. Obviously, the fans weren't the reason we lost at T&T last time, but I'd have to imagine that playing at Azteca would be at least a little easier with no opposing fans.