Expantion teams colors/kits

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by Bravehart3, Oct 10, 2003.

1. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi
    We've talked about names for expantion teams, now I ask what color and kit style would you want for expantion teams?

Black should be outlawed from being used in any new team... Col, SJ, Metrostars, DCU, Crew, Dallas all have black in their uniforms(kits). Three teams are RED and Black(met-dal-dcu). Blue and Black(Col-SJ).

For expantion teams to stand out they need to have original colors and kits...try not to rip-off euro uniforms... errrr Colorado(i liked the green)... Unless they are realy cool like Celtic's!

2. Z010 Union

Z010 Union Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland is a toss-up. Because the Stokers had the same colors as Chivas does, that rules out Cleveland's return to vertical red/white stripes. Some fans in the Cleve area prefer Forest City FC and some prefer Bulldogs. Kelly Green and White might make sense either way.

Philadelphia should stay with a colonial color scheme - cream and colonial blue. Should go with the name the Framers (like the framers of the constitution). Plus it is alliterative.

Houston should be orange and navy. Houston Heat, Hurricane whatever.

Seattle - colors should be a nautical theme, but with the amount of rain, I think Caution Yellow would be a great second jersey - they would kind of look like the Gorton's Fisherman :)

OKC - Maroon

3. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it would be great to have a green team again, though ripping off Celtic may be a bit to obvious. The OKC guys put so stuff together here: http://www.mlsinokc.com/jerseys.html.

Whoever comes in, we need a team with something more than solid colors. Maybe a team with white somewhere in their home jersey? I hope some red and white stripes come in from somewhere (Chivas, Cleveland), too, or some red-and-blue. Basically, I want stripes...

4. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    as for colors, i would like to see a club utilize orange...a nice change of pace. imo, whenever philadelphia gets a club, i think that should use red, white, and blue and use a kit similar to PSG's: solid blue with a thin, vertical red stripe down the length of the shirt and short.

if cleveland decides to name their club forest city, obviously they should use green, but i don't think that they should use kits like celtic's...

5. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Philly should be pink.....

6. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    that kind of pointless banter is not welcome here.

orange- YES, but for the NYC expansion team whenever they come.

7. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    A NYC expansion team should be Red, White, and Blue

8. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi

red white and blue is boring because it is so common...used buy New England and Chicago... i think about every other major league baseball team is red white and blue...

Orange and navy or Orange and royal blue or Orange and dark grey... basicly the next exp. team needs to have orange kits.

Purple green and gold is on hold for when New Orleans gets a team;-) The French Quartermen FC

9. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Chicago is red and white..... no blue

10. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like all of your ideas, but I assume the Seattle part is tongue in cheek. :)

Traditionally, the Seattle Sounders have worn white shirts with green trim and light blue shorts as the primary uniform, and dark green shirts and white shorts as a change strip.

Maybe the Gorton's fisherman jackets can be used as warm-ups.

- Paul

11. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi
    their logo/emblem is navy blue

12. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Yes, however they are known as "Sarachan's red & white army"...

13. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    Said it before, I say it now.

If New Orleans gets a team and the colors are not purple, green and gold, then someone is guilty of a crime.

14. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hhffgd

Interesting designs on the mlsinokc website. I'm a bit curious though, is MLS going to continue to enforce it's unique aesthetic of sponsor on the tail and team name up front? I ask because some of the examples looked more like European jerseys.

Also, will the team be called Oklahoma City _______, or just Oklahoma __________? Personally, Oklahoma City is long winded.

15. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi
    Re: hhffgd

http://www.mlsinokc.com/jerseys.html

pretty cool designs

I dont think the MLS plans to changes its polices for sponsorship on jerseys anytime soon....and hopfully never will.

16. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    = /

If you want to look for good jerseys to rip off look to asia. J-League jerseys look great. Why? No stupid huge team name across the middle.

Only Jersey that looks good with the team name across the middle is Chicagos... and even there i'd rather it just be plain red/white.

17. Rock

Rock New Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Santa Clara, CA
    I wish the Timbers would go back to their original Timber Green, Old Gold and White, instead of the green and black the A League team uses...way too many teams think that black is cool...not when everyone looks alike...

Houston, should they ever get a team, should stick with Hotshots and use orange, red, and yellow trim on white...but I still have my doubts about a pro team there...doesn't anyone remember what a dismal failure the Hurricane was?

18. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    NYC's colors are orange and blue. Forget about the Rags here.

19. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Not a good combo (i.e.Chelsea, Mid 90's).

C14

20. worldsoccer-Jeff

Mar 4, 2000
    Atlanta
    The New York Knicks of the NBA beat us to it. The color and the name.

21. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi

I fond that kit at http://www.kitclassics.co.uk
    lol... you were right... not a good combo

I tried to paste the pic but I cant get it to.

22. Bravehart3

Bravehart3 Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Mississippi
    I think that some one should try pen stripes... ripping off baseball... I think they would look good expecially since every team has plain white away unies(except the Crew).

23. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    New York Yankees FC
    New York United FC
    New York Yankees United FC
    Yankees FC
    Yankees United FC

????

24. Snarf

Snarf Member

Oct 9, 2003
    Eagle Mountain, UT
    pen stripes?

They're Pin stripes. Nobody is using a pen to draw those things on.

25. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    The Islanders and Mets have those colors as well.

We could go the opposite route and use Navy blue as the dominate color w/orange & white trim.

When you're done, name the team the Cosmopolitans, go for a Real Madrid, Inter Milan style shield/logo and place the team at a re-modeled Aqueduct Racetrack.