Expansion to "The Carolinas"

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by paladius, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    All this talk about markets, stadium sites and nicknames is groovy and all, but has anyone - I mean ANYONE - been mentioned as a potential owner and/or ownership group?

Because without someone stepping up to write the 40 million dollar check and cover the consdierable start-up costs, this is going nowhere.

Now, one could argue that Donny G wouldn't have mentioned "the Carolinas" if he didn't have interest from an ownership group. But it could just as easily be hyperbole from da Commish's part.

I have said this before, but a best-case scenario for the South and MLS is to come in with established rivalries, which is why I think Charlotte-Atlanta, or Charlotte-Raleigh or Atlanta-Nashville (or Birmingham) are such good ideas.

But, baby steps. As of now, the only team in the South with a prospective owner is Atlanta. Until someone steps up in Raleigh or Charlotte (and really, those are the only markets in the Carolinas with a shot at MLS) and says they have the dollars to bring a team to town and are willing to spend them, nothing is gonna happen.

For the record, I think the Carolinas - both Raleigh AND Charlotte - would be solid additions to MLS so I'm in no way opposed to it. I just don't see it happening without the deep pockets needed.

2. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's funny that people wouldn't support a USL1 franchise, but would come out in droves for MLS. Just look at Toronto and Seattle. Soccer is a niche sport (as a spectator sport). Charlotte Eagles are a niche of that niche (they have never really been a 'mainstream' team -- nothing wrong with that). They have a great organization that has been around for a long time. They tried the top USL tier before, but for now they seem to be happy with where they are -- they are still waiting for that soccer complex in Matthews.

I don't think MLB is coming to Charlotte anytime soon. So, that's a big plus. BofA Stadium is hardly utilized -- I wonder if the Richardsons would ever consider getting involved with soccer? BofA could be used for 2-3 seasons before a downtown SSS could be built. That being said, Charlotte has never been on the soccer radar -- unlike Nashville and Atlanta they never host any large, high profile soccer games that I can remember besides a couple of Mexican club teams several years back. It's a long shot, but who knows.

3. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    That's kind of funny--the Carolina Lightnin' of the ASL were one of the best supported ASL teams. I think you get a lot of people who, when it seems that MLS is somewhere on the radar, will say, "When MLS gets here, then I'll come out." I know that has happened in Atlanta, and it probably happened in TO and Seattle. That, and it's sort of hard to advertise minor league sports in a major league town (although it hasn't hurt the Glads and the G-Braves). If the support for soccer is as good as everybody ways it is, Charlotte may be a go sooner than you think. I think (keep in mind that my opinion and $.75 will get you a Coke out of the machine where I work :D) that if an owner could be found, and if the Parks Dept. can find a way to save and rehab A.L. Memorial Stadium (especially if the MLS owner agrees to foot the bill) Charlotte could be a lock. Sucks for Atlanta, unless Blank gets the OK to play at the Dome (and then maybe Charlotte and ATL could come in together), but it could happen.

4. HoopsBhoyInNC

HoopsBhoyInNC New Member

Jul 24, 2007
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love a Charlotte/Raleigh vs Atlanta rivalry! And it would be cool to go in together.

Maybe someone will step up here in NC. If I was rich, I would have had a team here a long time ago.

5. Count

Count New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, we all know this. I don't think anyone here realistically thinks that MLS is coming to NC in the forseeable future.

The biggest development that I would like to see is raleigh and charlotte both getting USL-1 teams playing DOWNTOWN.

I think a small soccer stadium would be a fantastic addition to raleigh, since the area is growing rather quickly and is still lacking downtown entertainment and zero sports downtown. I'm invested (emotionally) in both soccer and the development of the downtown, both of which would benefit from a soccer stadium.

I think a soccer stadium in Matthews would be a step in the wrong direction. The knights have been talking about building a stadium in uptown since I was 8, and it would be a wonderful addition and IMO very successful. There is enough interest in summertime entertainment downtown that doesn't exist right now. Charlotte has this idea of itself as more cosmopolitan and urban than it actually is. More sports options feed that. Big drawback is that the bobcats arean really poisened the well for sports, so the complex would have to be paid by private money.

6. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It will be a huge boost for the Eagles, but it's still not going to do much for pro soccer in Charlotte (if that makes any sense).
    I agree. A nice downtown ballpark like in Memphis would be huge for Charlotte and the Knights. However, there are forces out there that want to derail this in the hopes of holding out for MLB, which is way too unrealistic at this point. The Knights are languishing in Fort Mill -- they need to move Uptown ASAP. An Uptown soccer stadium would be awesome, too. There's definitely plenty of space.

7. ACRealUnitedFC SpA

ACRealUnitedFC SpA New Member

May 7, 2008
    I might start paying attention to the MLS if Carolina were to get a team, but I've not heard of any credible talk of anything actually being put together. There is a better chance of the local elctorates voting in cock fighting before soccer in NC. Without someone with deep pockets in NC funding the whole thing it ain't going to happen.