Expansion then Momentum then expansion

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by dsylvest, Aug 7, 2002.

1. dsylvest

dsylvest Member

Jan 18, 1999
    DC
    I can't stop thinking that without expansion, we are not going to see the league put together much momentum without expansion news and/or new stadiums.

If the league is hinging its ability to lure expansion owners purely on the existing attendance/tv ratings, we're never going to get anywhere.

OKC is a good opportunity...or it could be. We need a couple of smaller-market expansions that come with quality grounds to get the energy level and marketability up a notch.

I'm just so frustrated. and tired. Pardon the vent.

2. detroitexpress

detroitexpress New Member

Oct 24, 2000
    Detroit
    This month's Soccer Digest lists expansion as one of its recommendations for MLS.

3. dcunited81

dcunited81 Member

Jul 18, 2001
    Green Bay, WI
    I totally agree that we need expansion and soon. Personally I see expansion as the only way to get more exposure for the league. There is always an interesting buzz around those expansion teams and it can generate a new buzz about the league, rather than the black eye the league took when it closed the FL franchises(which I think was a great thing). I just hope that OKC can get a local investor/operator. I would also like to see Portland get the next team, that city is great in support of soccer and with their own stadium and some new blood for ownership I see things working out great in both of those locations.

Maybe with those expansion franchises we can increase our exposure and bring in a few more i/o's because there is no way the league could survive with only three investors in it, you know. I see that expansion is going to be a springboard on any and all levels to get the league even better.