Expansion Draft Tuesday

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Honore de Ballsac, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Possible Quakes pick(s) and protected list discussed on Republica Deportiva. Can anybody translate?

2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I predict Shea Salinas will be selected by someone.

3. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I haven't seen the Quakes' protected list. Does anybody have that? Wiki's list is as of Sept. 15...

4. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so.

But knowing Kinnear, he'll probably protect him. :rolleyes:

5. davez

davez Member+

Aug 10, 2000
    Mountain View, CA
    I think the objective is to protect anyone who might be drafted and only expose players who won't get drafted.

C'mon guys, Salinas is clearly going to be someone who will be, and should be, in the 18 week in and week out.

He is a solid MLS player, not a superstar or even a star, and he can play a number of positions and does bring a jolt of needed energy when he comes in as a sub.

alexiskool1991 repped this.
  6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So ... we have to protect most of our internationals, yes?

Ah, MLS Speaks:
    So we must protect three of our five internationals.

Bernardez, Dawkins, Imperiale, Godoy, and Quintero, except that Quintero probably doesn't count as he was on loan, the loan is up and we are trying to renegotiate the loan. So Imperiale, Godoy, and let's say we have to protect Quintero. I'd risk exposing Bernardez and Dawkins. I doubt that either of them would be taken.

We don't have to protect Tommy.

So, Wondo, Bings, Tarbell, Fatai, Colvey, Silva, Shea, and Quincy.

So there's my list:
    Imperiale, Godoy and Quintero
    Wondo, Bings, Tarbell, Fatai, Colvey, Silva, Shea, and Quincy.

We probably don't have to protect Quincy either, because no one is taking him until they see how he recovers from his injury. Same for Pelosi. I want to protect Cato, but we just don't have enough spots. I doubt anyone would take Sarkodie, and we can replace him if we have to. If Darwin gets taken, that frees up a bunch of cap space for us and he's redundant in any case.

Yeah, I think I'm comfortable with that.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

OWN(yewu)ED and JazzyJ repped this.
  7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    :thumbsup:

Confirms that Tommy's out of contract status does not then make him eligible for Expansion Draft. One less way for him to not be on the team next year.

8. The Terrier

The Terrier Member

May 26, 2008
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Good list, but no need to protect Tarbell; he's Gen Ad.
    Given Victor's form of last season and Quincy's injury, I think Victor is the more likely to be taken of the two, in spite of his age.

OWN(yewu)ED and markmcf8 repped this.
  9. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    No need to protect Quincy, he's damaged goods.

Earthshaker repped this.
  10. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Shaun Francis is protected.....

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #11 JazzyJ, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    ...and salary ratcheted up pretty good now too. That's the pre-cursor for Quakes forwards to get badly injured. Sign a big contract raise.

12. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! I forgot that Tarbell is GA. And yeah, probably no need to protect Quincy. Of course, we've ditched every forward on the team excepting Wondo and Quincy. So it might be worth it to protect him.

If Victor gets taken, that's a huge chunk of Salary Cap that we get back. And again, I doubt that any team would take him. He's old and he's expensive, and it's no great loss if we lose him. (Because we can sign a new defender for half what he makes.)

Well, should find out tomorrow who we really are protecting and not.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imperiale, Godoy, Quintero, Wondo, Bings, Fatai, Colvey, Silva, Shea, Cato I think is mine

Just piggy backing off Mark :D minus the Tarbell Gen Ad pick, threw Cato in there as number 10, but I got a feeling thatd be Wynne given Dom went and got him, so therefore hes a Dom guy. Got a feeling Wynne could take Colvey's spot too.

markmcf8 repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Ramiro Coralles, Chris Brown, Jamil Walker, James Riley, Shea Salinas, Joe Cannon, Arturo Alvarez, Bobby Burling, Jason Hernandez.

We have lost all of these players in various MLS Expansion Drafts. In fact, the only MLS Expansion Drafts where we did NOT lose players is in 2006 -- when the team didn't exist -- and in 2007 -- when the draft was held to stock the Earthquakes.

I fully expect we will lose two players and will be totally shocked if we do not lose at least one.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Quintero is not on the team currently, right? Do you have to protect him to hold onto his "rights" in MLS? And then if you do, doesn't really help your negotiation position too much.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No team can lose more than one player. Combined the two expansion teams, Atlanta and Minnesota, can only select 10 players, which means half the existing 20 teams will lose a player and half will lose none. I fully expect the Quakes to lose one and Seattle to lose none. And, again, I predict it will be Shea Salinas.

17. The Terrier

The Terrier Member

May 26, 2008
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think there's any point protecting Wynne. I'm not 100% sure of the rules, but Wynne is out of contract, he's 30 years old, and he's been in MLS 11 years. I'd be very surprised if he's not listed as a free agent.

18. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Shea's a good guess. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Quakes were passed up altogether.

markmcf8 repped this.
  19. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Protected:
    David Bingham, defenders Victor Bernardez, Andres Imperiale and Kofi Sarkodie, midfielders Fatai Alashe, Cordell Cato, Darwin Ceren, Simon Dawkins, Anibal Godoy and Shea Salinas, and forward Chris Wondolowski. Goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell and midfielder Tommy Thompson

Unprotected:
    goalkeeper Bryan Meredith, defenders Kip Colvey, Clarence Goodson, Shaun Francis, Jordan Stewart and Marvell Wynne, midfielders Leandro Barrera, Marc Pelosi, Alberto Quintero and Matheus Silva, and forwards Quincy Amarikwa, Chad Barrett, Henok Goitom, Innocent, Steven Lenhart and Mark Sherrod.

20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

21. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alberto Quintero unprotected?
    Shea Salinas protected??
    Kofi Sarkodie protected???

markmcf8 repped this.
  22. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Honestly, how bad could we screw it up?

I think we have some decent players that could be part of a good thing somewhere else. But who would I cry about losing? I guess if we forgot to submit our paperwork we might lose a (one) worthwhile player. But Bingham is now the only top shelf MLS player we have. And keepers can be found to do that job, if you're not gunning for a title.

23. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Oo. List is out?

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Changes I would have made:

Protected to Unprotected:
    -Kofi Sarkodie (the dude barely played for two bottom teams in Houston and San Jose, he is the definition of "replacement level")
    -Simon Dawkins (who is going to use one of their limited DP slots on him?)
    -Cordell Cato (who is going to use one of their five picks on him?)
    -Shea Salinas (don't really care if he stays or goes)
    -Victor Bernardez (who is going to take an aging injury prone defender at that salary?)

Unprotected to Protected:
    -Alberto Quntero (because at the very minimum we don't want our attack to get even worse from its current "worst in the league" state)
    -Matheus Silva (at least he's young)

After that I don't know which other three players to protect, because our team is crap... but considering they just brought in Henok Goitom over the summer, what does it say that they won't even protect him a few months later?

Marko72 and markmcf8 repped this.
  25. tenfourteen

tenfourteen Member

Sep 30, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Kofi is Dom's guy from Dynamo days. Wish they protected Mateus instead.

sacrxy, markmcf8 and ColinMcCarthy repped this.