Expansion Draft Thread - Who do you protect?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by lkgf09, Nov 6, 2011.

1. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rules for the expansion draft are here

Copy/pasted from the link

• MLS Clubs may protect 11 players between their On-budget and their Off-budget Roster. If the Player’s contract expires at the end of 2011, he will still be considered part of the club’s roster.
    • If a club protects a player, it is not obligated to exercise the player’s option. It may renegotiate subject to terms of the new CBA.
    • If a player retires, he will not be a part of the club’s roster, but his club will lose its right of first refusal to him should he ultimately decide to play.
    • Players on a club’s Off-budget Roster, other than Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2011 MLS Season or Homegrown Players on a Club’s Off-budget Roster, will be part of the expansion draft.
    • Generation adidas players who have not been graduated at the end of the 2011 MLS Season and Homegrown Players on a club’s Off-budget Roster at the end of the 2011 MLS Season are automatically protected (Clubs do not have to use a protected slot on them).
    • Clubs are restricted in the number of international player(s) that they may make available. Clubs may make available a number of international players equal to their total number of international players minus three, provided that if a club has three or fewer international players it may make available not more than one. (See table below).
    • For purposes of this expansion process, for US-based clubs, any non-domestic US player would count as an International and, for Toronto FC and the Vancouver Whitecaps, any non-domestic US player or non-domestic Canadian players would count as an International.
    • Designated players are NOT automatically protected (i.e., clubs must choose whether to protect such players and if such player is not protected, he will be available for selection in the Expansion Draft). However, if the Designated Player has a no-trade clause in his contract, then his MLS club must protect him and he will count as one of the 11 players who may be protected.
    • Once a player has been claimed from a team’s non-protected roster, that team is eliminated from the expansion draft and may not lose any further players.
    • Rounds: The expansion draft will be 10 rounds.

Number of Internationals Make Available Not More Than
    10 7
    9 6
    8 5
    7 4
    6 3
    5 2
    4 1
    3 1
    2 1
    1 1

Who is on your list? Who do you want to see go to Montreal?

2. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't see a problem for us to make that list this year, because we don't have eleven player that deserve to be protected....

Automated Protected: Horwath, Lassiter, Hot, Schneider, Kassel, Hertzog....

To Protect: Mendes, Keel, Ream, Solli, Tainio, Lindpere, Richards, McCarty, Rodgers, Agudelo and Henry...

The rest true them to the dogs...But them again, maybe Backe will not protect Agudelo, who knows....

3. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah after those that we protect, I don't think it will be a major loss for us to lose any of those guys. All replaceable.

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miller for McCrappy makes more sense as we have no LB.

5. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reading this and trying to keep track gave me a headache, too many rules:eek:

6. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo is a homegrown player. He's automatically protected.

Horwath was signed as a free agent and Lassiter and Schneider were drafted. They are not automatically protected.

As for who I'd protect...

Auto protected: Agudelo, Hot, Kassel, Hertzog
    Protect: Henry, Lindpere, Ream, Tainio, Solli, Richards, Rodgers, Keel, Mendes, McCarty, Miller

Marquez is a jerk, is overpaid and underperforms. We'd be lucky if Montreal took him. Ballouchy and Auvray are mediocre. Albright and Nielsen are too injury prone. None of our keepers is worth taking up a spot. Everyone else unprotected couldn't get off the bench so I don't think they'd be likely to be taken.

I protected Miller because while I don't like him, he's our only LB and at least he was healthy this year. Meanwhile, I wasn't overly impressed with McCarty but I think he has more trade value than a lot of other players on our squad so I wouldn't want to lose him for nothing in the draft.

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protect Keel

Best hair in the club!! =p

Young and can still improve.
    At worst can be a super sub and add depth.

8. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do either Henry or Marquez have a no trade clause?

9. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    We don't need subs or depth.

10. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Backe would agree with you, but common sense tells us you cant go through an MLS season without depth. In fact that was one of our problems this year--we never recovered from Backe and Soler dealing away our bench, cutting them, or relegating them permanently to the reserve squad and never getting game minutes.

11. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your sarcasm detector is broken.

12. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    You just wait when Backe will start given more players away for the 2012 rosters picks...Because I think we don't have any for this year he give mostly all of them away........Now he will give away some more to rectify his boo-boo...

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure do hope you are wrong on this Metz. Maybe we learn our lesson?

14. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Backe makes roster decisions?

15. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way in the world that Mendes gets protected. He is at best mediocre. Is it your only criteria is that Mendes was born in the U.S and Miller wasn't. And Mendes actually gets paid more.

Miller will be protected. Agudelo is a home grown and does not have to be protected as well as Kassel, Hot and Hertzog-GA.

Protecting Schneider???? Why? Is he that much in demand? Just because he is young and an American WHO has not played a minute in MLS. Are you kidding me? You really don't have a brain. Horwath is also in great demand.

16. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I think metz is under the impression that Schneider automatically gets protected, although I think he's confused as to the rules about who does and does not need to be protected.

17. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump

Expansion draft is this week. I assume we will have a list out early in the week and then we can see if Montreal wants any of our garbage.

18. stang217

stang217 Member

Dec 30, 2006
    Long Island
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mendes is faster, stronger, and tactically more aware then Miller is... and he's leaps and bounds in front of Keel...Keel sucks, I'm sorry I don't know what Backe has with that kid. Mendes should have been playing starting CB all year long he's a solid, veteran, center back who is a versatile player... but no, Backe will play Keel who doesn't belong starting on any MLS team and Marquez who is overrated and one giant liability.

19. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what is the date of the draft?

20. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wednesday the 23rd I think. Or is that when the protected lists are released

21. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly lists will be released today and draft is on Wednesday.

22. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List of unprotected players (from SBI)

New York Red Bulls

Albright, Chris

Auvray, Stephane

Ballouchy, Mehdi

Coundoul, Bouna

Horwath, Alex

Jones, Mychel

Lassiter, Tyler

Mendes, Carlos

Nielsen, Brian

Paullo, Marcos

Robinson, Carl

Rooney, John

Rost, Frank

Schneider, Teddy

Sutton, Greg

Would Montreal take anyone from this list? Would we care if we lost any of the guys here? The only one I wouldn't want to go is Mendes but I doubt Montreal would take him.

23. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mendes,Albright, and Auvray left unprotected? i would think they are at least worthy of being depth players.

It's sad about Teddy Schneider and Tyler Lassiter--were they ever given a real chance?

Rost left unprotected--I guess that's confirmation that he was never going to be the answer at GK, which makes the moves they made to get him during the season even more useless and damning....

Nielsen and Robinson--i guess the club finally got tired of the endless injuries

Rooney we hardly knew ye....

24. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one is gonna select an overpriced Auvray and a constantly injured Albright.

I doubt Montreal would take a chance on any young guys we have since they are so untested and there are many better options for them on the rest of the league.

25. ckonas

ckonas Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Fairfield, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Schneider is Automatically Protected. Horwath too.