Expansion Draft :: It's Gameday

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Nov 19, 2004.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Day of Draft Crew forum discussions here. Who do we keep, who do we lose.

Draft begins at 4 pm ET. ESPNews will cover the first round live.

2. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Lose Denton for sure. He's done with anyways but will anyone take him?

3. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Nelson is already on a plane to SLC.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    No one has anything else to contribute?

After seeing a few mock drafts, consider the following...Nelson seems to be all but gone through concensus, at that point who is more likely to be protected, Scott, Testo or Lagos?

I'm going to go with Lagos, if for no other reason, Musab al-Anclueless likes to hold onto players that are well into their prime. Testo, was a starter the first match and then pretty much fell off the match. Keep in mind as well that there were rumblings about bust ups between Osama Bin Anclueless and himself. You have to figure that based on playing time alone, Erick Scott won't be protected before either Testo or Lagos by Kim Il Anclueless.

Thoughts? Any pick on the first two players taken?

I'm going with Walker to Chivas, and Akwari to RSL.

5. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe Walker was left unprotected. Does he have a huge salary or something like that? I agree with Zak, he could very well be the top player taken. Of course, there's a ton of GK's in the draft, so maybe there's no rush to take one early.

If Akwari is indeed our first player drafted, I think we'll protect Lagos. If anybody else is our first player taken, then obviously we'll protect Akwari.

6. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been discussed already in other threads but if Akwari does get picked first I would like to know the status of some of our other players before deciding whom to protect.

If it's true that Jeff might be leaving for greener pastures and there is no immediate replacement then I would look to protect Scott if he is staying otherwise Washington. Otherwise we have Buddle alone (leaving Martino out of the mix) with hopes Ritch or Sutton will step up.

If our forward situation is looking good then I would probably protect Stephen Herdsman.

In no situation would I protect Matt Jordan (doubt he'll be picked as starter or backup considering ALL of the other options available), Brian Maisonneuve (expensive, injury prone, probably retiring anyways), Eric Denton (duh) or Manny Lagos (expensive, injury prone, already have midfield).

Although, Manny Lagos is a question mark. He can play the left side fairly well and brings experience (with a MLS cup), would it be worth keeping him as insurance (expensive policy, though).

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    furthermore, given the parity in the league, it's a safe bet that at least one of the expansion teams will be in the playoffs next year. Anyone think it's possible that an expansion team might have more points than us? I think one will make the playoffs, but finish ahead of us on points, not likely. Also depending on when we travel to play them, hopefully mid to late season, I expect a squash.

Although, if it plays out that Akwari goes first from Crew, we protect Testo or Lagos, you could potentially see Herdsman go to RSL as well. A defense starting Akwari and Herdsman wouldn't be terrible.

8. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    what is all the Jeff trade talk based upon? I've heard nothing conclusive. The only reason imho to trade jeff is if we know for certain he's not going to start and you don't want to gamble that much cash on a 12th man. Then again, is anyone willing to wager that Buddle won't have the injury du jour next season? Trading Cunny for anything less than his scoring value would be stupid on our part.

9. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fid's thread title has the ESPN College Football Gameday theme running thru my head now. I guess I'm getting geared up for tomorrow (got tickets, bitches!).

As for the draft... I'm pretty down about it since Akwari was exposed. I hope we manage to escape this draft with him still on the roster. I am planning on leaving work a smidge early so I can catch the draft. Got the TiVo set just in case I can't get away.

10. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All speculation on my part based on a few folks with "birdies" and ears to the wind. It wouldn't be a trade, it would be Jeff selling his Hyundai for a Volvo or Volkswagon overseas somewhere as an alternative to working under the reign of the BBC (bearded beanbag coach) ...

11. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I expect Cunningham will be back next season. Of course I have absolutely no basis for that, but the topic of him leaving seems to keep coming up and its never happened. The guy has been around forever and I think he's still got a lot to contribute. He's got so many goals for a reason. Although I wish he and Buddle worked on the field better. They've been playing together for a few seasons and it seems like one has success when the other isn't on the field.

But if Cunningham and Andrulis have a rocky relationship, then he probably needs to go because it looks like Andrulis is going to be here for a while.

I expect us to lose Akwari in this draft. Everyone else is up in the air. To be honest I don't really want to protect any of them. Neither Testo nor Scott got much time to prove themselves. Herdsman seemed pretty solid, and Dante would be a suitable backup, but I wouldn't be hearbroken to lose any of these guys. I doubt any of the teams would pick up Dante due to his age, but he did prive that he can score goals at some level, and can hardly be blamed for getting the undeserved start in our playoff catastrophe.

Taking all of that, I would be shocked to see a guy like Maze get picked up in this draft. And I doubt anyone will take Jordan due to the high amount of keepers already in the draft. I mean, do you guys remember when Jordan was the shiznit with Dallas? Now he's behind Busch, and Busch doesn't look to be giving that spot up any time soon. And I don't think anyone will take Lagos or Denton, either. If we waive Lagos someone might give him a shot, but I figure Denton's on his way to the A-league.

12. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    Once Akwari and Scott go watch Andrulis protect his man for the play-offs - Washington, and the likes off Lagos - the man is an imbecile - sack him.

13. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    Isn't Testo only on a year's loan? How would that affect things?

I would assume we'd trade him off and that team would have to deal with his contract.

14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still like to have David back for another year. Lose Manny.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    That's my understanding. It was a one-year loan deal with an option for MLS to purchase the contract at the end of the season.

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Testo's transfer fee can't be that much, it was a set performance fee. I wouldn't mind bringing him back. I wouldn't mind having him back, but as a LM, not a forward. I think he has the potential to be the left footed Brian Mullan. I know he spent most of last year learning that position as well, which was one of many we didn't see much of Testo.

As per Cunny, the only thing I heard was he and his agent have kept in close contact with Helinsborg in Sweden, the top team Cunny chose the Crew over in the offseason. I have no idea if Helinsborg would want to pay a transfer fee for him or not. As for a trade, I think all that speculation is based on the fact people don't want a 195K super sub and that money could go to get a good allocation replacement. That's perfectly understandable and logical, but then when did this club ever do anything logically.

I expect to see him back in Columbus, but I don't really want to because Andrulis doesn't know how to use him and it's a little morbid watching our once proud confidant striker turn into someone who's afraid to step up for an important penalty. It's just sad. I knew Arena just brought Cunny in to be his practice bitch like he does every offseason, but I was really hoping he'd at least put Cunny on the bench this time around. Maybe that could get him some confidance back, but no such luck.

18. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Little Nicky spouted off after the season that Walker had a poor year in goal (which he did, but it wasn't like their backline was much to write home about).

And if that wasn't enough cunning, Metroshag also exposed their backup keeper Zach Wells. Which, IIRC, means they have 0 goalkeepers protected.

But then with pre-season training usually starting in February, Nick S. has 60-90 days to find a goalkeeper.

19. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I realize these teams are out west, but I wish this draft started earlier than 4 to get me through this mundane Friday afternoon.

20. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody watching this?

21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of, course. I've got odds on Garber wearing a red tie today.

22. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone following at the MLS website? I cannot find a link.

23. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got it on ESPNNews.

Rob Stone and Eric Wynalda wanking on about something or other.

Nothing much else going on.

24. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's sitting across the table from some chippie. Bet they're playing footsie.

25. Saltenya94

Saltenya94 Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    DC United
    Go to "Sights and Sounds"
    should be there...