Expanded FIFA Club World Cup: Tournament News & General Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    They'll never do it (cuz rea$ons) but coming from someone who doesn't really watch club football outside of the Prem and CL, the old Intercontinental Cup sounds way more compelling than whatever the Club World Cup is. Specifically the original home-and-away format. Instead of this bloated mess of a glorified repeat CL (with some teams that won the CL three whole years ago), they should just resurrect the Intercontinental Cup imo.

IMO they should have a qualifying tournament on neutral ground during the current December CWC timeslot with the five non-UEFA CL winners. You could get it done in three matchdays like this:

- Everyone except CONMEBOL plays the first two rounds before the qualifying final.

Two rounds of one-legged ties to get the 4 CL winners down to 1.

- One leg between Libertadores winner and qualifying second round winner to decide who goes to the Intercontinental Cup.

Then you could have the winner play the UCL winner home-and-away. You'd have to schedule league play for the involved teams around the fixtures, but you have to do that now with the CWC anyway. I'm sure there is room for two fixtures and requisite travel somewhere in the calendar.

2. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Thumbs down, IMO. Current format is fine (current, not the expanded version that is coming next year). Just need better variety of hosts. Middle East and Japan once awhile OK, but needs to go somewhere with atmosphere too - like places in Africa, South America, or Europe that have a population and passion for soccer but don't have top 5 league. Mexico City for example.

And cheaper tickets, so good crowds can get in there. Actually Japan has been pretty good, but has had plenty of turns already.

BocaFan and Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I don't know. The current format frankly feels a little gimmicky almost, between the presence of a random host team alongside six CL winners and the weird placement games. I get why - UEFA doesn't care about it enough for FIFA to host an annual CWC with a proper group stage. I actually think the newly proposed format is in some ways superior, I just don't think the (lack of) prestige of the CWC justifies such a bloating of the tournament.

At the very least scrap the host spot imo.

4. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if you just did 6 winners play it out. If you wanted to expand it, go to 8 and have Europa League and Copa SudAmericana winner as teams 7 and 8. Rotate the tournament from confederation to confederation.

AlbertCamus and Every Four Years repped this.
  5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  6. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club World Cup is happening, super league is not.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, the money grabbing attempts by FIFA just embarrassing at this point. Club WC doesn't work when all the top clubs are from one region. (D'uh!) And that gap keeps widening. The idea might've had some appeal 30+ years ago but the landscape has changed since then.

Imagine a Copa America of basketball with teams from Mexico, the NBA and South America. You have the mismatches when NBA plays teams from other countries (yawn). OTOH you have matches involving the NBA champs against an NBA team that was good 3 years ago but who kinda suck now (e.g. Lakers v Golden State). Yawn x2 Just silly and what's the added value (apart from a handful of people raking-in more money)?

AlbertCamus repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One option would be a six team tournament with 2 groups of 3, winners play in the final, runners up the third place, and bottom place teams playoff for 5th. That way everyone gets 3 games, there are no teams coming just to play one game (seriously OCEANIA must feel like a pluto-confederation), and the big guns only have to stay for 1 extra game. You could redraw the groups the next year based on how the confederations performed at the previous years competition... ie Group A: last years 1st, 4th, 5th teams and group B last years teams number 2,3,6. So this year you'd have group A: Bayern, Ulsan Huyndai, Al Ahli group B: Santos/Palimeiras, Monterrey, Aukland.... just get rid of the host nation or maybe host the nation could be one of the confederation winners rotated every year. But anyway, it looks like FIFA are going in a very, very different direction here. I hope for the best but am worried it's just going to turn into another Euro-dominated tournament.

Every Four Years repped this.
  10. Holiday_Jenkins

Barcelona
    United States
    Jun 10, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, probably best if the tournament was in the Americas then otherwise Europe will dominate. They may anyway.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    To me this was the most important takeaway as well.

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to Qatar then Palmeiras.... they should feel right at home at Qatar's Education City Stadium.. their Allianz Parque is very similar from inside

Allanz Parque:
    Allianz_Parque.jpg

Education City Stadium:

buwzqxpm8pj3cvxkualy.jpg

dinamo_zagreb and Paul Calixte repped this.
  13. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Have been waiting for Palmeiras at the top for years. So happy with their triumph last night, so happy to have them at the CWC.

14. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Gents, the 2020 Qatar CWC is thread is here.

This one is for China 2023/2025/20XX. :D

15. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops... sorry wrong thread :whistling:

Was looking all over the 2020 CWC thread and wondering why my post was deleted :ROFLMAO:

Both these threads look pretty similar on my feed with Nico's avatar as the thumbnail though...

16. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    My thoughts exactly. :D

Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The latest from Infantino:
    https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...-will-boost-competition-infantino-tells-afp-1

AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    24 teams is just so stupid in my opinion

unclesox repped this.
  19. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  20. shizzle787

shizzle787 Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a couple questions about this.

1) Will the competition take place once every four years and eliminate the yearly FCWC?

2) Will qualification be based on results in continental competitions in just the year concerning the competition or in all four years leading up to it?

3) Will the European sides boycott?

4) What is the likelihood it will be expanded to 32 teams with a format identical to the current World Cup?

5) Will the confederations not named UEFA move their continental club championships to a fall to spring schedule to line up for the event?

6) How will this affect the African Cup of Nations, the Gold Cup, and Arab Cup which are usually played in odd years?

7) Will this take place at all?

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    1) Yes. The 2021 CWC in December is probably the last annual CWC.

2) I imagine all four years leading up to it. Confederations like CONCACAF and the OFC won't want to lessen the importance of other editions. But this has yet to be announced in detail.

3) Only if the prize money doesn't meet their expectations.

4) Depends on how popular the first expanded edition will be in China.

5) If results of all four years leading up to it are used then that becomes less of a consideration. There may also have to be "playoffs" between winners depending on the allocation to a confederation.

6) CAF will probably move one of their AFCON's to the February winter slot they used to have. CONCACAF will potentially have an issue with the CWC being played in the same summer. Which Arab Cup do you mean?

7) I think so. It's the only way FIFA can substantially increase their revenue in non-WC years. And FIFA fully backed UEFA during the "Super League" episode which may mean that FIFA now asks for a favor in return.

22. Templinho

Templinho Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Wirral, England
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned in the whole biennial World Cup debate is where the Club World Cup (expanded or otherwise) would sit. Have FIFA thrown in the towel on this (seeking gains elsewhere) or is it hiding in some corner of the proposal?

Wenger is suggesting alternating World and Confederation tournaments; a Summer competition therefore appears out of the window and I doubt clubs would be accepting of a Winter competition with the expanded international breaks.

Thoughts?

Cosmin10, BocaFan and locoxriver repped this.
  23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The expanded CWC is on hold until a decision is taken on a biennial World Cup. If it gets approved there won't be room for an expanded CWC and I guess the status quo will remain.

If FIFA can't push the biennial World Cup through then they will demand "solidarity" from those that oppose it and say they should at least go along with the expanded CWC for the "good" of the football community.

At least that's how I see it playing out.

dinamo_zagreb and Paul Calixte repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lolol

25. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team: