"Excuse me!" - Jeremiah White at GKS Belchatow (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not me. Belchatow might have been able to pay him decently, but its not like he was raking in. I think he is still clinging to the big bucks from Saudi Arabia (right?) and Denmark and signed in Poland to try to work his way back up.

Why won't he try the same here? Sign a short term deal and work for a pay raise.

2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    I believe his plan was to stay for good when he return home... and unlike Europe, ther is no way to work your "way back up", if you are already playing MLS... in Europe Denmark is a country of just about the same size/population of an average state in the US. So playing in Denmark or Poland is much like playing in a state/regional championship and a good opportunity to work your way up in Europe, while MLS is the final stop if you want to play in the USA.

3. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was talking salary-wise.

MLS often gives "lowball" offers to players returning from abroad, but if a player is good enough, he'll still get paid. Columbus made Chad Marshall one of the highest paid defenders in the league despite Marshall unsuccessfully trialing for several 2.Bundesliga clubs.

4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he takes the lowball MLS/Philly offer, he will likely be locked in for a decently long time, maybe even 4 years. I don't know how old White is, but that doesn't leave him much time to "work his way up the ladder."

5. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then he doesn't have to sign the 4 year offer. Maybe he could sign a 2 year deal.

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But that's the problem with negotiating with MLS. They give you really crappy deals when you're coming back. Witness Lee Nguyen's offer.

Sure, if they offer a shorter low deal to White, then maybe he should take it, if he has money saved up, and hope to cash in one last time after that.

7. Kermmy803

Kermmy803 Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Denton County, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS doesnt do anything but 2 + 2 deals. And the "+2" is always at the league's option.

8. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that is the typical offer, and as White is nearing his 29th birthday, this would likely be his last "real" contract. He needs to make decent wages while he can (if he can).

9. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I'm going to say possibly 80-100K maybe even just under 100K, around 90K.

But who knows. Didn't Chicago offer him around 100K or was that never confirmed?

I know he has talked about wanting to live in the States again because of his children, their schooling, etc.

10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    So was I... In Europe you can easily take a short-term "lowball" offer in Poland and then fairly quickly move on to something better... when he return to the US for good to play in MLS, he wont be signing a short-term deal.. He is turning 29 in April, so he would be a fool to take a "lowball" offer now, which would not be possible to extend before he probably has past his prime.

11. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If MLS cant offer him a decent contract right now, he will no doubt keep trying his luck in Europe and then move back to to play in MLS when he has past his prime.

12. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Not to forget that White is at least a leve if not two better than Lee Nguyen... White was a good Danish Superliga player for sure, while I very much doubt Nguyen would ever be able to become a regular starter at that level.

13. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Will another MLS team make an offer for White? They have until April 15. I imagine he could be of use to either of the expansion teams, Vancouver and Portland. I think he might even be able to make a pretty poor Toronto squad.

14. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    White is still languishing on the free agent market. I'm sure there's a team out there that could use him, but he's not willing to take a low-level MLS salary. Vancouver, Chicago, and Toronto could all be good fits potentially. I'd say he's worth 70k/season.

15. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Jerry's clawed to Aachen.

[​IMG]

18. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  19. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    He should worry less about his opponents exhaling and inhaling and more about getting signed somewhere.

Good lord what a strange "instructional" video.

21. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    He was so serious when he talked about breathing which makes it even more strange.

22. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just came in to post this. I was trying to figure out where he was the other day. Now I have my answer.

24. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Higher Learning

Jul 1, 2009
    San Jose
    Club: