Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
  2. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2003 15 to 32, Apr 12, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    1. Hadn't realized Maas had left UVU. Hopefully everything is ok there. He's a hell of a coach.
    2. KB coaching college soccer is a weird spot, IMO, for a guy who never played in the complicated mess that is NCAA soccer
    3. According to google maps, you can get from the UVU soccer field to the Provo River area in less than a half hour
    4. Hopefully this creates a pipeline of sorts for the academy through UVU. Still, as we've talked about on here before, a kid who has an offer from a school like Stanford isn't going to seriously consider UVU if they care about the quality of their education

4. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    More like, if they care about getting interviews for future careers just because their degree came from a prestigious school, whether anything was actually learned or not.

6. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My brother who works at UVU texted me with the news. There's a buzz at least.

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that UVU is, in reality, BYU-Orem, it will be interesting to see how he fits in.

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Dude has a mouth on him. I don't even remember a game where I didn't see him at least mouth the word "F*&^%^&*&". But I can personally attest to being an entirely different human being when playing competitively vs the rest of my life.

RSLer, SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. JLaw

JLaw Member

Aug 15, 2008
    Happy Valley
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a UVU alumnus and a current BYU student I whole-heartedly revoke this assertion. His colorful lexicon will not be his demise.

RSLer and Allez RSL repped this.
  10. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Well, let's see if he can continue his track record and lead his league in yellow cards as a coach!

goobx1, SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Corey Baird scored the first goal in his first game with LAFC. He started in Rossi's usual spot out left.

RSLer repped this.
  12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked a lot like he did last year for us - lots of attempted passes into packed defenses and behind runners - and he scored off of a deflected shot. I would have liked to see how having Vela on the field would have opened space for him, but in a weird moment around the 20th minute Vela felt a twinge lunging for a ball, indicated to the bench he wanted a trainer to come look at him, and was promptly subbed out. He was clearly unhappy about it.

13. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole KB5/RSL/UVU thing really escalated this week. (Based on the most recent Reality Check podcast)

14. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Beans...spill, please. Haven't heard it.

Ismitje repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same. No idea what you mean.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KB did an interview with Spence in which he ripped RSL on some things. For example, he said the women’s team at UVU has much better video support operations than RSL. He said he begged for video support for years at RSL. Also, they discussed the difference in the stories given by KB and RSL on why he isn’t on the RSL staff. All of them (Dunny, Trey, Spence) speculated that KB wasn’t going to accept anything less than Head Coach at RSL. They also speculated that he took the UVU job to prepare for returning to RSL as HC in the future.

SpiffCoug and Ismitje repped this.
  17. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    This is going to be fun to watch.

18. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spence: What’s going on with the Front Office? Why can’t they get ahead of something like this benefits it goes public?
    Dunny: Maybe KB didn’t want to cooperate.

rslfanboy repped this.
  19. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    * before, not benefits

20. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    TBH, I think the UVU opportunity is a much better situation for KB than anything he would have landed at RSL in the short run. Now if he's dissing on some particulars of the club resources, that may be a bit juicy, but in the grand scheme of things not all that meaningful or even surprising. DLH was all about the sizzle, but there were a lot of fundamentals behind the scenes that were neglected. This club has always been on a shoestring budget in many key areas that matter. That's not a secret to anyone "in the know" around the club.

21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I will have to listen to this but reading between the lines it sounds like there was quite a bit of friction between Kyle and perhaps the HC along with others last season.

My mind immediately thought, "oh, so that's why Freddy couldn't figure out how to get Kyle to 500 games". Makes total sense now.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kyle interview isn't all that bad towards RSL. The video review stuff was a swipe at the club, no doubt, but Spence asked the "why aren't you with RSL?" question at the very end and KB didn't really offer more than just "the job I wanted wasn't open".

KB's story was essentially that he was enjoying his time away from the game and then was contacted by UVU for the role. It was a really accelerated timeline to get him hired and I wouldn't fault RSL all that much for not having a "counter offer" of sorts. It sounded like KB wanted to be a head coach at RSL so he was just laying in wait. Not a lot of ill will towards the club, at least from what I heard in his comments, about that.

23. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After this season there should be a friendly game between RSL and UVU. Winner gets the HC job.

2nd Mouse and 15 to 32 repped this.
  24. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    This is interesting to contrast against what Saucedo said about RSL's facilities in comparison to what he'd seen at Liga MX.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how much of KB's gripe with the lack of video review/analysis was driven by Freddy/coaching staff. I find it really hard to believe that RSL doesn't have the means to do video review - hell, most high school football programs in this state do - but some coaching staffs just dont value it.

Still, if the captain of the team - a guy who has spent a good chunk of time playing for the national team - is calling for an enhancement, you might want to listen to it. Especially if you're as green of a coach as we've had since... well ever.