Ex-RSL Players Part 6: Here, There, and Everywhere

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Feb 17, 2015.

1. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I thought Glad had a great match, yes he made a couple poor passes out of the back but his positioning and reading of the match was very good. Also thought saucedo came in and played well.

2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fiar enough, let's just say that while I will take the 3 point they will need to vastly improve against Mexico.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point, the entire focus should be on beating the Dominican Republic and ensuring advancement to the next round. They weren't a pushover against Mexico. The Costa Rica game was always going to be nervy as both sides knew, if they wanted to advance, they needed points.

msilverstein47 repped this.
  4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can I ask if Ochoa is your #1 GK? That was some performance!

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for RSL or the US Olympic team?
    Regardless, the answer is the same. At least for me: YES!

The confusing thing is that Ochoa didn't get a start until the very last game of the season last year. He was apparently beat out by a guy that, at best, looks a journeyman MLS GK. A more honest assessment is that Putna (the GK that earned the most starts last year for RSL) is a career backup. I wouldn't say it was because Ochoa was bad. It seems Freddy Juarez is very slow to make adjustments at certain spots of the squad and is very fast to punish young players for being, well, young

goobx1 and msilverstein47 repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry yes, I meant for RSL...this kid can play and he might be with the full Nats much sooner than later. I'm kinda pumped.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't a big problem for Ochoa last year the COVID restrictions once he played some games for the Monarchs?

8. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'll cross-post Med_Phys from the other, more pertinent thread:
    Plus, my "contact" said that Ochoa had another slight injury that was never reported, and they were being extra cautious because they are banking on him.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we shift this conversation back to the offseason news thread? The post this all launched from was about Lalo Fernandez (at least, he's why Ochoa was mentioned in this ex-RSLer thread).

15 to 32 and rslfanboy repped this.
  10. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, feels like we're setting up a jinx talking about Ochoa here, eh

goobx1 repped this.
  11. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Saucedo had the assist to Yueill to open the US's scoring against DR last night.

Had a missed shot just before that.

RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Soto ever play for ESL? Probably not, but I didn’t know where to post this. He just screwed us against Mexico. It was almost as bad a backwards pass as you’ll see.

13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will likely be his last time on the pitch during this tournament because of that play.

14. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s too bad. But that one error cost us. The final was 0-1. Herrera played very well as did Ochoa. Ochoa really showed an Alpha personality, which I had not seen in him before this game.

15. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watched all the US games and a consistent theme was heavy touches and garbage unforced giveaways. No surprise that one cost us the goal and game to Mexico. I think they've played well enough to deserve a spot in the Olympics but they need to improve big time if they want to go far.

16. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. And now Puliscic is making noise about wanting to join the team if Chelsea will allow it.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Chelsea allow it then Pulisic has no spot in the team. Full national team players are already going to have a ton of international games next year with nations league and world cup qualifiers. Then you add in the Gold Cup (likely just an MLS roster) and the Olympics, and you have a hard time seeing a club being ok with it unless they don't have plans for the player.

Honestly, under Tuchel, Pulisic has lost not only a spot as a starter, but even in the gameday roster. His average minutes are like 20th on the team. That is not good. I really hope he either fixes whatever the issue is in the next 5 games or moves in the summer to a new club

RSLer repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't win if you don't score. While that moment is the highlight of the goal against, the US never really seemed a true threat to Mexico. Which, honestly, is fine. Mexico has a stacked team. The US, on the other hand, has a mix of players with so many of our most talented players this age in Europe and thus not allowed to come over. The entire focus is on the semi final against the winner of the other group. Having watched some of those games, there isn't a team over there the US shouldn't beat.

RSLer repped this.
  19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer, jessyca and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he a GA player?
    Holy hell, 6th division. Is that even professional?

21. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Kinda.

According to the all knowing

Do National League players get paid?
    The wages in the National League top division are between £20,000 and £50,000 per annum depending on the player and club budget. Under the National League top division, few clubs are full-time professional and wages drop significantly. Football in the UK is split into regional leagues.

15 to 32 repped this.
  22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I looked at the team website and noted that many players have personal sponsors for their gear, different for home and away:

https://darlingtonfc.co.uk/squad

Here's a guy called Joe Wheatley's sponsors.

Home kit sponsor: Cleveland Club Supporters

Away kit sponsor: Paul O'Cain

rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.
  23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, that is cool as shit. Tax write-off, but a cool way to grow the sport.

One of the guys on the team (Nicky Hunt) stood out to me because he looked so old. He is. But he played for Bolton in the premier league. Not just a handful of games, but a legitimate contributor. That's awesome.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an A-league minor league baseball team in Spokane, and the way the fans have to and get to interact with players - who actually board in the fans' homes - is akin to this. It's about sixth tier too.