Evra, "We were Babies" - The other teams thread (Special humiliation edition)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by ZIAD, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    u got a link yos?

also, is Ryan Giggs serious? or am I just making it up that Juve made three straight Champions League finals in the late 90s?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8073233.stm
    the fact that BBC ran with this too :confused:

2. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 person likes this.
  4. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats true too... so again, what were they thinking?

thanks Yos... I thought it was interesting he gave VDS an 8, when he should have saved the first goal... he also gave Rio an 8, even tho he got turned around a few times that night.... other than that, he is spot on...

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I confess to always checking DS's take on big matches, and posted in the match thread that I thought his analysis would be down on Carrick.

The thing about Barca's weak defence was always overstated. They of course put excellent pressure on the ball carrier very high up the pitch. Carrick didn't cope at all. As DS points out, it was only scholes (and xavi+iniesta) who can cope with the heavy traffic.

6. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    It wouldn't be too ott...if it were my own.:p
    Truth is, I copied it from something that was said by a fan from somewhere north of your home town.;)

7. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I understand the system quite well. I agree you don't need ball winners per se, but if you don't have them, you need players who can defend positionally. Carrick can control the ball, he just had a howler of a game, but Anderson doesn't have a defensive thought in his mind. He really wants to play forward, charging forward like a headless chicken every time any Man Utd player gets possession. He's simply not cut out for the position. And England aren't really the team to emulate if you're trying out the 4-2-3-1. Really.

8. Owen Gohl

Owen Gohl Member

Jun 21, 2000
    SAF never has been a great tactician and he was wrong to start Giggs. On the other hand, he was right in not starting Scholes, who was carded less than five minutes after he came on. Always a terrible tackler, he's gotten worse in old age. Had Scholes started he might have been sent off by half-time.

As for Fletcher's absence, I thought the man United missed most was Mike Riley. :)

9. UncleMike

UncleMike New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    This old man, Ferguson
    he has choked upon his gum.
    With a knick-knack, paddy-whack, give the dog a bone.
    Man United's walking home.

10. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  11. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    i suspect he was distinguishing between the champioins' league and the european cup. so technically accurate, but a rather pointless distinction, really.

kind of like when folks refer to 'premier league records' as if the old first division had never existed.

12. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    but it was called the Champions League when both Milan and Juve did it...

13. thesicknessuntocesc

Sep 23, 2007

what the ********, now we are worse than everton? jeez.

14. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ummmm.....................:eek::confused:

15. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    fair enough.

rather exceptional laziness, there, on my part. i recalled seeing giggs interviewed post-match, and him referring to their effort to be the first club to win it twice in a row. upon hearing that, i thought "what the hell is he on about?", but after a second or two, it occured to me that he was making the distinction i referred to above. if i'd taken two seconds to read the entire post, i'd've seen that you fellows are taking issue with the 'three finals in a row' comment, on which you are correct.

my mistake.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Agreed. It's really an interesting analogy in terms of our own issues.

The keys to their best 4-2-3-1 were:

* Giggs movement and ability to carry the ball at AM
    * Rooney's ability to defend the left flank
    * Brown's ability to hold the right so Ronaldo can seagull forward
    * Tevez defending from the front
    * Two deep lying passers as the '2'
    * Scholes ability to retain possession and run a game from very deep

In interestingly though, SAF + CQ did not trust that formation for the Barca semi or Chelsea in the final. Park / Hargreaves were brought into midfield to run for Carrick/Scholes

Without Scholes the system really falls to pieces. Carrick can unlock the runners with long passes - but he hasn't the bottle/experience/gumption to hold the ball.

Thus what you saw against us was 3 physical runners in Park, Fletcher and Anderson - with a plan to disrupt in midfield and hit on the break.

Whatever formation we play, functionally it is why Arshavin is so important for us, because it leaves Cesc free to play that General role, and he has the player ahead of him who can keep possession (like Hleb) and hurt you (unlike Hleb)

And whatever formation we play, it solves the 'Chelsea' / 442 issue, because you will have 2 players like Cesc and Song/Denilson holding midfield, with a 3rd in Bergkamp's #10 / AM slot.

A relatively narrow triangle like Nasri, AA + Cesc gives their midfield something to think about for once, instead of powering up and overloading us

This is what we had with Pires/DB10/Vieira

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    well imo united shouldve had

..............berba

tevez.......rooney..........ronaldo

they offered NOTHING centrally in attack, if u watch the game most of their opportunities came from a ronaldo run out wide with little support in the middle

with these 4 i feel that tevez helps the left as much as rooney,but rooney helps out centrally! rooney is unquestionably at his best driving the ball from midfield and looking for a diagonal pass or a shot on goal! he also put in ALOT of work and tracks back. i feel that carrick and anderson would be somewhat protected by rooney in this formation and they both have good istribution, especially carrick who is probably a better passer than scholes now

its all subjective but i feel united couldve done better with this lineup rather than park and giggs in the team

18. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    so winning every qualifying game since capello took over and plaing our best football in years isnt something to emulate?

just cus u hate england doesnt mean we are as shit as we were under mclaren

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Well this is almost what they did for the 2 Barca legs last year...

Except that Rooney defended the left, Tevez defended almost as an AM (really sacrificed to be honest) and any time Barca had the ball, Park moved to CM to run in front of Carrick / Scholes.

The problem is when you don't score first.....

20. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting new rules regarding the Olympics. England will have a team with the bulk of it presumably made up of Arsenal players. There will no longer be U-23 teams/qualifiers.

It is now a U-21 tournament, with the qualifying being done through U-19 teams (just how the U-19/U-20 teams qualify for the YWC.)

It is no longer a U-23 tournament, and no overage players are allowed. Somewhat puzzling now is the question....what is the point of the Euro U21/23 tournament this summer? It is meaningless as it was an Olympic qualifying tournament previously. Will it be scrapped just as I assume the other confederation U-23 qualifiers will or will the age group change? There are already the Euro U-19 Championships, but they are to qualify for the YWC. The same goes for other confederations.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=651043&sec=england&cc=5901

21. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I think they have a Euro u21 championship every other summer

they have the u17 and u19 every summer...

lol @ Chelsea

22. Hyuuga Neji

Hyuuga Neji Member

Nov 20, 2007
    The Bay Area
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I would like to see Chelsea lose, I think they will grind it out eventually.

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Drogba levels it

24. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    I just started watching this game about 10 minutes ago, don't know if it's been like this all game, but this is shit.

25. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you've gotta wonder what's the point of the U-21 Euro's if they're no longer used to qualify for the Olympics, or anything at all? It just seems like meaningless exhaustion.

With the U-19's you can have one year qualify for the YWC and another year qualify for the Olympics. There's something to aim towards.