Everyone Else But Us (Other Teams Thread 3) [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Twenty26Six, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Nice goal by Momo.
    Here are other goals.

2. AussieLFCfan

AussieLFCfan Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    WOW! two goals for momo in the one season now!:p

3. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Seeing Tim Cahills goal celebration against Portsmouth, I thought he was just gesturing to demonstrate that he was proud to be Australian. ;)

It turns out it was in tribute to his brother, Sean, who has just been sentenced to 6 years in prison for GBH that partially blinded a man. After kicking this guy in the head, he fled the UK and got extradited from Australia.

Everton have shamelessly defended this public gesture of support for a violent criminal. I doubt Newcastle would endorse Joey Barton publicly displaying support for his axe-murderer of a brother while wearing a club shirt. Although they are probably desperate for a goal-celebration of any description :rolleyes:.

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great post.

5. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Violent criminal" is a pretty concrete term and seeing as you don't know the man or the circumstances, I would refrain from judging and labeling the person.

Not to mention, this has shit to do with football.

6. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Well since Sean Cahill has been convicted of grevious bodily harm with intent, by a jury of his peers in a fair court of law due to the testimony of eyewitnesses and subsequently sentenced to 6 years in prison, I think it is a fair label. He is by definition a violent criminal as he has been convicted of a serious violent crime. If his conviction is subsequently overturned and he is acquitted then I will rescind my label and apologize. Until then, it's a label he's earned.

The relation to football is that Tim Cahill performed his handcuff goal celebration while playing for Everton. He then explained that this was a gesture of support for his brother and Everton have subsequently supported him in this. Now I fiind this shameless and inappropriate and shows little consideration to the family of the victim of his brothers attack.

If a Liverpool player shows support for a violent criminal while playing in the club colours I would consider that inappropriate as well. I would not expect the club to support such an action or allow it to be repeated. That's my position. If you don't agree then that's your call.

My horse is high, and I am sitting on it. In a morally indignant way! ;)

7. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're getting revenge for all those days you wee picked last in gym class aren't you?

Sounds like he's a real Hannibal Lecter. :rolleyes:

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    As the Everton spokesperson said:

In other words, tough.

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do I hear a bird chirping?

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I'm so sorry for stumbling into your secret Liverpool only board... :rolleyes:

11. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Oh, please. The club could easily have a word in his ear and tell him not to repeat it as it is bad publicity.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    They might have already done so but behind the scenes. Either way the fact remains that Cahill has done nothing wrong. You might not personally agree but that is irrelevant.

EDIT: I obviously meant Tim

13. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Yeah, he sounds like a regular charmer. Especially the bit that reads 'convicted of this extremely seriously offense'. He was obviously innocent which was why he skipped bail and fled the country before being extradited.

26 does not refer to how many years you've got left on your sentence/already served/people you've killed/BS posters you've hunted down does it?

I always just assumed you wanted to show you could do everything Jack Bauer could do and a little bit more!;)

14. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    This gave me a good laugh...:D.
    BTW, they have his brother on camera kicking a man in the head twice, while the latter was already on the ground. He blinded the man - he should serve the full six years but if Britain is anything like the US, he'll be out in 2 and get probation...

15. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I said I think he has done something inappropriate. If you disagree that's up to you.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No, what you did was have a go at Everton for defending the celebration. They had every right to do so because Tim Cahill has done nothing wrong. Fact. That is something you cannot disagree with.

17. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this one, I am with the Rev with a caveat. I think the salute was inappropriate but footballers are stupid. His analogy is apropos -- what if Barton had done a axe chopping gesture to show solidarity with his brother? I'm sure somebody was sorry that that "young man" was a racist murderer. That said, even though there is no constitutional right to free speech in Mrs. Windsor's realm, we would generally say he had a "right" to speak his mind by gesture. It wouldn't provoke a riot like Neville's gestures to our traveler's, so its OK within that context. I wouldn't really expect the club to come out and say "we know that was wrong but Tim is as thick as two bricks". They did probably have a word with him in private.

18. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    I do disagree with it. Fact. I thought his gesture was inappropriate given its meaning. I also thought it was wrong of Everton to condone it. This is my position. Fact.

Why get your knickers in a twist over my differing point of view? I am not asking for you to agree with me. Frankly I don't care, if you do. I don't recall asking you for what my opinion should be. This is because I did not. My opinion is not determined by what you think it should be. So like it or lump it.

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    What you have failed to realise is that regardless of what you might think, neither Tim Cahill nor Everton have done anything wrong. That my friend, is a fact.

If Joey Barton did his axe celebration then you might have a point because you could make the argument that it was bringing the game into disrepute. If it was done in Liverpool (as a city) then you could call it trying to incite the crowd. However, replicating the actions of a crime and pretending to be in handcuffs are poles apart.

20. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Your statement is one of opinion and not of fact.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No, it is clearly one of fact. Neither Tim Cahill nor Everton have broken any rules or laws. FACT.

22. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    OK this could quite easily degenerate into inanity.

Teso, you are just displaying your usual contentiousness and intolerance of dissenting opinion at BS. Fact. :D

23. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HUGE difference. He didn't mimic the criminal act, and thus DID NOT condone his brother's actions. He gestured sympathy and support for his brother's imprisonment. He was near tears and expressing sadness - not anger over the conviction or petulance.

As a person who HAS had family members incarcerated, I can personally tell you that it is possible to show remorse over someone's imprisonment AND condemn their poor action.

I mean, we could get philosophical and pretend that EVERYONE who has ever committed a crime is evil and undeserving of support. But, do we really want to be that pedantic - seriously?

24. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Please clarify whether the above is an opinon or a fact. Unless it is explicity labelled, readers are unable to judge and have to rely on reading the words. Fact :rolleyes:

25. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    revelationx, what rules or laws did either Tim Cahill or Everton break?

There is no need to rush into an answer, as I am going for food. Please take your time.