Everyone Else But Us (Other Teams Thread 3) [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by Twenty26Six, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or an underachieving, headless chicken that has yet to reach his potential at 25.

2. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA-Mexico friendly is up in less than a week, I am already excited.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Check their respective goal figures over their careers to date. I'd have had Defoe at Man Utd. It will be good to see him finally getting regular first team football again.

4. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can not judge players by goal-scoring figures alone. I know it's convenient to overlook everything but what supports your argument, but it doesn;t really convince anyone.

If you know football, then talk about Defoe's movement/positioning or technique that sets him apart from other forwards.

5. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    And thats why he isnt worth buying...and certainly not worth a spot at a 'big 4' club.

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Well, his technique and his pace are probably his strongest points (although is positioning is, except in the most formulaic situations, suspect). But he's renowed as a lousy trainer and for having some pretty serious attitude problems. There's a reason why a string of Spurs managers have preferred the infinitely more talented and disciplined Robbie Keane to him.

7. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the report. Pace. Touch. No sense. An attitude.

Given the attack that I've seen Portsmouth run, I thought they would stick with Benjani's power over Defoe's quickness.

Upgrading to a younger striker makes sense, but I don't see how Defoe fits - unless Redknapp felt it was a "best player available" situation and didn't want to pass it up.

8. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    He is a striker and that is ultimately what matters most. It also highlights why he is better than Benjani. Add to that his other attributes and he is a good option to have. You need to remember that it was Redknapp who originally signed Defoe for West Ham, so he knows exactly what he is getting.

9. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of making a blanket assertion of less than absolute truth, how about you back this up with some argument?

And, then we'll move on to thinking about everything else in your argument - because EVERY OTHER POINT depends on someone believing THIS ONE. And, you haven't established that this is a fact, yet.

10. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    The fundamental role of a striker is to score goals. I do not see how anyone can disagree with that. It is even important for strikers who contribute to their teams in other ways because scoring a certain amount of goals outweighs everything else they bring to the side. I have discussed this previously in relation to Van Nistelrooy and Saha. The former provides far more goals but the latter provides more to the team in terms of his style of play (movement, pace, strength). However, if Saha did not contribute an acceptable amount of goals then he would not be in the side regardless of anything else he can provide.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Hmm, I agree with Teso on this particular aspect of this discussion.

When given a run of games, Defoe is proven to be more prolific (and he's younger). Benjani, at his peak age right now, is having the best season of his career but that could also be a peak. City have gone for it with a big cash bid - and to a guy like Harry Redknapp, they're plum suckers ripe for the picking.

When you're Portsmouth you need goals to survive. Defoe is likely to match or exceed Benjani's goalscoring contribution for the foreseeable future (which, at 25, is longer than it is with Benjani).

In those terms alone, it's a cracking bit of business for Portsmouth.

12. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not every team plays with a "striker", yet still they succeed.

Your own team sold its "striker" in RVN and decided to go with a pair of multi-purpose forwards. Rooney and Tevez facilitate good movement and combination play - which leads to many goals from midfield [Ronaldo].

A striker should score goals, but every team does not need a striker. So, therefore every "forward" does not need to be judged solely on his ability to score goals.

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Nice attempt to change the discussion but ultimately an unsuccessful one. We are discussing strikers not forwards. Whether a team decides to play with a striker or not is irrelevant to what I posted previously.

14. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    F*** YEAH!!! Spurs are 1-0 up on the scum...21st minute...counter-attack after Man Utd lost the ball, Jenas went from half-way line into the box, recieved a challenge from Hargreaves, ball spilt to Lennon who got to the byline...his cross was badly blocked by VDS to Berbatov who places it in...again...F*** YEAH!!! :D

15. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    43' Evra takes a bullet for Ronaldo...(eg relieves Ronaldo of his diving duties)

And those f***in scum continue to argue against decision that are clearly against them...Hargreaves and Ronaldo have argued against handballs when it HIT THEIR HAND...CLEARLY...you bloody sulks

16. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Pompey could be beating The Enemy of Football if awarded a PK for Beletti's handball -- no such luck and they slammed one off the crossbar immediately after as well

though a Pompey win isn't exactly in our best interests these days :(

PS: another Anelka goal -- Baros is back

17. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Makelele thrusts a studs up boot into Baros' groin -- no card, of course

18. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Tevez scores off a corner in the 94th minute...last kick of the game...the only mistake that Tottenham made throughout the whole game...F***in lucky again Manure

19. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    A handball created the move that resulted in their tap in goal. I'd call that pretty lucky. We did not play well but still got something from the game. That's the mark of a good team.

20. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Stop making excuses...the handball resulted from a clumsy challenge by Hargreaves which shouldve been a penalty...either way, it was going to be a goal for Tottenham. Bad GKing by VDS also contributed...that was a terrible block.

Getting lucky in the last kick of the game isnt the mark of a good team...thats luck. You actually played shit...not one of your players played well and probably 8 or 9 tottenham players deserved a MOTM before any Man Utd player.

21. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I don't see any excuses. What I do see is a Liverpool fan having a good old whine because a rival side played poorly but still managed to get something out of the game. Quite how you can claim that our goal was lucky but completely ignore the clear luck involved in their goal is unbelievable.

22. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If you call a clumsy challenge and a GK error lucky then your very mistaken.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Manchester played like shit and Tottenham played great....until the 93rd minute...and they paid for it. Simple as that.

24. Twenty26Six

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You wonder why you're not welcome here...

25. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    We also scored very late against Spurs this season from a corner. There is a similar theme between todays Spurs - Man U match and Spurs at Arsenal this season. Spurs were leading both 1-0 and Keane missed a great chance to make it 2-0. Both occasions cost Spurs 2 victories.

I only saw the 2nd half but I was very impressed with Hutton. On his Prem debut he certainly looked one of the best defenders on the pitch. If he performs so well consistently he will prove an excellent buy. As it stands, no Scots outfield player has impressed me so much since McAllister!

Also it was interesting to see Chimbonda play at left back. Was this a ploy to counter C Ronaldo who cuts inside when on the right flank?