Everton v. Aston Villa 10/30/04 [R]

Discussion in 'Everton' started by sarabella, Oct 29, 2004.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    So looking ahead at tomorrow, it's eerie how close these two teams are as far as statistics are concerned. The only thing we have a real advantage over them is we've conceded three fewer goals and we're a bit more successful in our tackles.

We're sure to see Big Dunc, as the website says, after his game-winner last week. I wouldn't even be surprised if he starts, maybe resting Cahill. Of course, that's purely speculation on my part. I heard Carsley was out after an injury in the Cup match, but I can't confirm. In other words, I have no frickin clue. :D

Anyway, I don't expect us to win. Again, I'm sticking to my pessimistic theme as it has been working miracles for us. (Yes, I'm really conceited enough to believe that I control the destiny of the Everton matches simply by my state of mind.) I'd be happy with a draw. At least we're going to be in third for one more week. Yay!

Thoughts?

2. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Oh, by the way, I always feel a bit silly talking to myself on the in-match commentary. Does anyone actually read it? If not, I'll shut up. No sense annoying the crap out of people with my random and unanswered chatter.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    People do read these threads, even if most don't post until after the match. I say chatter away.

I know I won't be able to weigh in until probably Sunday ... NU-Mizzou football and the Wizards playoff game will eat up the entirety of my Saturday.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read them, Sara, when the game's not being shown on FSW.

Your play-by-play is much better than the "attacking throw-in" nonsense that the BBC offers.

5. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Thanks, guys. Then chatter away I will!

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Sure.

After all, something has to keep you sane. :p

7. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I don't know what you're talking about Trooper. I'm as sane as a naked person walking down the middle of the street talking to God. :D Only, in this case, I'm not naked, I'm usually still in bed, and I'm talking to all of you. Luckily, I usually get the same response from you as I do from God -- niente.

8. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I'm a few minutes late getting my lazy bum out of bed, so I missed the lineup. The only change I can determine so far is Steve Watson in. Not sure who is out.

Gravs had a great chance a minute ago, but I'm not sure what happened. Good tempo so far.

9. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Great defending by Hibbert and Stubbs. Villa had was pressuring, Stubbs takes down his man cleanly and clears. What's up with Stubbsy? He's a changed man...

10. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Gravs is on fire today! He and Kilbane team up, push it down the right side, and a killer shot nearly goes in. Hits the side netting instead.

11. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Did you know...

Only Arsenal has more wins than us so far this season?

That we have yet to lose a match on the road?

Is this the same Everton team from last year?!? I think I'm still in shock over our run so far.

12. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    A small altercation between Gravs and Solano gets tempers soaring. Not sure exactly what happened, commentators say Solano started it. Let's use that energy to our advantage, Tommy. Give us a goal!

13. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Yellow to Hendrie for taking down Cahill on a scoring chance. Villa seems a bit desperate. They're lashing out and making us even more motivated to score.

Free kick taken by Gravs, Stubbs heads it but it was saved by Sorensen.

14. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Crap! I hate radio. I can't see what's happening!

Cahill nearly scored. Sorensen screwed up somehow and Delaney cleared it off the line. Not sure how it all came about.

15. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Hendrie scores on a spectacular strike from about 20 yards out. Puts it in the top right corner. ********. See what happens when I start thinking positively?

16. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Oh yeah! Bent scores on a brilliant setup by David Weir, who managed to keep possession of the ball from midfield and feed it to Bent to chip it in over the keeper.

17. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    We nearly score again. Gravs throws it in and Bent heads it just wide, but he had the keeper beat.

Everton has definitely had the better chances this first half. Good possession, terrific job getting the ball to the open man in front of the goal. We're really playing well as a unit, with everyone getting involved in the plays. I'm so proud of our boys!

18. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    HT 1-1

Really, a great half for us. Like I said earlier, we had the better scoring chances and we look like we really want this win.

19. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Not even one minute into the second half, we get a scoring chance. Osman puts it just over the crossbar on a superb setup by Marcus Bent. He's got to be the steal of the season, and he makes Moysie look more and more like a genius every day.

20. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Cahill picks up a yellow for a late tackle on Hitzlsperger.

21. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Steve Watson has a chance, but my @#*%&ing radio cuts out and I have no idea what happened. I think it goes wide and we get a corner out of the deal.

22. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Villa coming on strong, but our D comes through. Goes over the crossbar.

23. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Bent puts one over the crossbar. Kinda quiet right now.

Bent breaks in again, tries to get it into "Little Osman" but those pesky defenders get in the way.

24. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Big Dunc comes in for someone, not sure who. Goodison erupts in cheers, like he's the second coming.

25. sarabella

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    Ohhhh, Osman hits the post!!!! Damn!