Everton Captaincy

Discussion in 'Everton' started by Gmak, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    with stubbs gone who shuld be our new captain? the smart and creative Cahill? The reliable and loyal Carsley? Super Defender Yobo? or James Beattie?

2. chifirefan

chifirefan Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Chicago
    The obvious choice from those four is Carsley. But I'd bet on Martyn or Duncan Ferguson as the new captain (if Ferguson is fit).

3. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    I think Martyn would be a good choice, but Dunc - no way. First, he's just a substitute at this point and second, he's just too volitile. Can't have the captain acting like a moron. :D

David Weir perhaps? I can't see any of the poll options, other than maybe Carsley, getting the job.

4. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Yea some bad choices here...Carsley on the poll, but in real life, I'd say Hibbert.

5. HazyDavey

HazyDavey New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Definitely going to be Weir. With Arteta back, Carsley may not be on the pitch as much as a captain needs to be. It's also doubtful Moyes will hand it to Cahill in only his second year on Merseyside, but I do like that call. Yobo doesn't seem like a leader. And Beattie...needs to stop doing the George "The Animal" Steel Flying Headbutt before he wears the armband. It'll be Weir or maybe Martyn...or a dark horse like Kilbane.

6. Scouse

Scouse New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Manchester
    Weir's not likely to get a starting place with Yobo and Kroldrup.

7. zerorespects

zerorespects New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    Arizona
    i like kilbane for captain: irish international, consistent, composed, only like 3 or 4 cards last season

8. Nicodemus145

Nicodemus145 Member

Jul 10, 2003
    AL
    I cant believe the number of Cahill votes. Does seniority mean nothing in the captaincy? I always though loyalty and consistency were bigger factors than just talent.

9. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    The person who made up this forum gave us bad choices...if he gave us more, then it wouldn't be so lopsided.

10. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    that'd be me :D
    i may have voted 1 or 29 times

11. EvertonChris

EvertonChris New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Club:
    Everton FC
    If playing, Weir will be captain.

If he's not playing and Dunc is, Dunc will be captain.

If neither are playing.....

Maybe Nige or Super Lee in my opinion.

12. HazyDavey

HazyDavey New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
  13. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I think Weir might be a good choice, but he's a touch old. That said, he could fill the role for a year or two, and somebody like Hibbert (homegrown and a quality player) could become the longterm option. Seeing as Weir, due to age, won't be able to play all of your games, I actually don't thing Zinedine would be a bad choice for the other matches; he has an incredible engine, gets stuck in, goes in both directions (attacking and defending), seems to get on well with pretty much everybody and be respected by his colleagues, has a good bit of experience, has improved dramatically over the last 18 months and is a real team player... he's not the most vocal guy on the field, but he's hardly a mute, either.