Even more . . . Stuff from other MLS Teams

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Mar 30, 2014.

1. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the previous post was a tweet in response to this tweet.

3. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Nothing official, but sounds like he'll join Atl in summer. Also sounds like Hou holds his discovery rights. That could be lucrative. #GarberBucks

Watched Atl dismantle Motagua, they will be an exciting attacking team to watch this season. Damm would add to that -overlapping with Lennon? Or replacing Lennon in starting XI?

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lennon for Atlanta last night looked exactly like our Lennon. Same positives and negatives.

RSLer repped this.
  5. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    As some of you may have gathered, I'm not impartial - I'm a huge fan of Nashville, and was quite defensive when they were originally awarded a team and many criticized that decision. Very few seemed to think Nashville would support a team. It's exciting to see the news that they've sold 50,000 tickets to the opener Saturday, and I also understand that they have at least 22,000 STH's.

15 to 32 repped this.
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apropos of nothing, Portland today started its oldest lineup ever for their game against Nashville.

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . and Portland went the entire final 45 minutes without a shot. Not without a shot on goal, a shot. At home, against an expansion team playing its second-ever game.

rslfanboy and RSLer repped this.
  9. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I caught most of the second half and Nashville looked a lot like RSL did yesterday with shot after shot after shot. They should have scored.

Portland looks like they are ready to implode already.

10. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pcny and rslfanboy repped this.
  12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1236881343306489856 is not a valid tweet id

13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably but I wouldn't consider it "goal of the season" material. Now, if he did kicked the ball straight up, executed a perfect bicycle kick and scored a goal from that far out, THAT would be the goal of the season.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stayed up to watch this game and *takes another sip from massive coffee* do not regret it. This is goal of the year material. the way the ball moves is insane

RSLer repped this.
  15. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That game was super fun to watch. The Union hit the post and the bar, and LAFC had two clear-cut chances that were saved beautifully, while both teams could easily have scored five or six.

RSLer repped this.
  16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The free kick goal was jaw-dropping, and the comment right before he hit it from Stu Holden - befuddlement in his voice as he realizes Glessner planned to shoot from that distance - made it even better.

17. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jessyca, El-ahrairah and RSLer repped this.
  18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, stuff like this makes the game interesting. in the modern era, to quote Jerry Seinfeld, you end up cheering for laundry more than anything else because of how much players move. Having some consistency and a hero/villain kind of story makes it fun.

If you don't think the individuals are important, even to the top level of rivalries, look at El Classico without Ronaldo. it's a shadow of its former self. I don't like Benny in MLS (I loved the guy with the national team, no way around it) and thoroughly enjoy booing him when he comes. But that makes going that much more fun.

When we played NYRB over the weekend there wasn't anyone on that team that I cared to enjoy watching or booing. By the end that somewhat changed with the time wasting, but I couldn't tell you that guys name and it's only been a few days since.

Here is to hoping someone can pick up the villain role at FUKC with Benny gone. Oh, Espinoza still is there? We'll be good for the year, at least.

RSLer repped this.
  19. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel the same way. Kind of like the cRapids when they had Casey. Loved to boo the guy. Made the rivalry feel more real. Now? I'm not sure I could name anyone on their team without looking. I don't even feel like it's much of a rivalry other than it's 'supposed' to be because we're close to each other.

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SUKC fans are claiming the Supporters Shield if the season doesn’t resume.

21. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they are. That's the only way they will win any hardware.

jessyca repped this.
  22. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the wake of lawsuits against MLB, Ticketmaster, and others for refunds on cancelled events, it appears that MLS teams are starting to provide some communication with season ticket holders regarding their plans regarding refunds. A poster on Reddit posted an email from LAFC they received from their ticket rep. Has anyone received anything from RSL?

23. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s interesting. If any games are cancelled they will apply that money to next year’s season tickets. If you want a refund for cancelled games you have to contact them. As of yet there are no cancelled games.

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    reddit is, understandably, blocked at my work. Are you summarizing the LAFC email or stating the situation for RSL? Andy Carroll was pretty adamant that refunds would not be made for RSL games but instead would be credited towards next season. This is under the assumption that games are cancelled.

When pressed to describe how the club could handle a potential full year of non season ticket holder money (if RSL never plays a home game in 2020 with a crowd, which isn't far fetched) Carroll really didn't have an answer.

25. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I'm actually fine with having my season ticket money moved to next season. This is MLS not NFL and I don't want us to be the canary in the coal mine of current leagues that folded. Leave that to American Football start up leagues.

If MLS folds I wonder when or IF a new league would get rolling. If they do fold then it's possible worrying about soccer might be the least of anyone's worries.

To be totally honest I have not missed sport that much or at least not as much as I thought I would but much of that could be the circumstance or experience we are all trying to manage. I bet it would be totally different if all other sports were playing except soccer.

Of all the things I miss it is going to RSL games followed by early morning EPL games. We literally just upgraded to actual cable tv because our internet/phone package was so old that we were able to add cable or whatever they are calling subscription tv nowadays for less than we were paying for not having cable.

We did that like a month before no sports. Oh well.

But I digress. I get needing the money and if my job had been negatively affected I would have needed to cancel and ask for a refund but so far so good. Knock on wood.

Lets hope that they are able to get back to playing soccer at some point. Even if its some sort of round table tournament/s where every team is guaranteed so many games and the winners move on or something. Just get to playing soccer when it's safe.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and Ismitje repped this.