News: European Super League Or Bust - The OTT [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The situation should be broken down into two separate actions...

1: Was it a foul? To me it is. Just because he got the ball doesn't negate that it was also reckless which it was. So for me, it was a foul.

2: Was it DOGSO? As a referee, you must assess the situation with the 4 D's:

• Defenders: Not counting the player committing the foul, there is at most one defender between the foul and the goal. That other defender is generally the goalkeeper. The keeper committing a foul can be sent off for this offense as well.

• Distance to the ball: The attacker must be close enough to the ball to continue playing it at the time of the foul.

• Distance to the goal: The attacker must be close enough to the goal to have a legitimate chance to score. So being in or near the opponent’s penalty area is more likely to be an obvious goal-scoring opportunity than the attacker being in the team’s defensive half of the field.

• Direction: The attacker must be moving toward the opponent’s goal at the time of the foul, not toward a corner flag or away from the goal.

So by the letter of the law, it was a DOGSO and since it was outside the penalty area, it's a Red. Inside, it would be a penalty plus a Yellow.

Stud83, CybrSlydr, jnielsen and 2 others repped this.
  2. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yes, I completely agree. That's what I've been saying.

benni... repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Yeah and was just saying why i thought it was still a red card, since you felt that it wasnt a dogso, maybe it was reckless.

I dont see why i deserved your rude ass reply.

So i never got a chance to speak on the Balbuena red card. Im sorry, but if you played football, there is no way a player will clear the ball and then come back down with so much force.

Thats not even a follow thru, thats not a natural motion after a clearance.

Think about it. When you clear a ball like that, you are swinging your leg, you are not stomping down at any point. You bring your leg down/back calmly.

Watch every other follow thru in any other football game. No player will bring his kicking foot back and down like that.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

5. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    That looks like a footballer walking after a packed schedule and playing almost 60 plus games

Not doubting he is injured in some sense of course. But man a lot of guys are struggling right now.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is true: hard to make any real conclusion based on this very short vid (plus most footballers must be hurting right now in some way, form or fashion after the season they just went thru). The fact that he's travelled with the rest of team is a potentially good sign.
    As far as his injury is concerned, calf strains can be a real pain (pun intended) but it all depends on the severity of it. If it's a light one, the rest from the past few days (on top of treatment) should get him ready for tomorrow. Conversely, a much serious strain could still see him out for the foreseeable future. We'll find out tomorrow, I suppose...

benni... repped this.
  7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I’m talking about the one where the defender was hit in the knee on the follow through? Can’t be bothered to go back. I’m working from memory here.

8. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Watching the Futsal CL Final (Sporting vs Barca) and one thing that's quite novel is during timeouts they have a boom mic over the huddles so you can hear the coaches instructions clear as day. Quite the insight into how simple some of the instructions and emotional tones are once you're talking to your players at this stage

johno and benni... repped this.
  9. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Also any genuine reason normal football couldn't run on a stop-clock system?

It's refreshing the only way to run down the clock being in play with either controlling possession or pinning in your opponents.

benni... repped this.
  10. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    The purity and tradition and all that bullshit

11. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The only thing that comes from not having it is the "Excitement of uncertainty" from when the final whistle will be blown, but in reality watching the last few seconds of the clock whittle away is the same if not better (and less bullshit compared to most of the time).

In the end was a spectacular final, Barca up 2-0 at half time, only for Sporting to come back to 2-4 in the second half, with Barca scoring after having gone with a flying keeper to make it 3-4 with 3 minutes to go.

Finished with Sporting winning 3-4, after Barca having a shot saved in the final seconds.

jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  12. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    If you stop the clock every time a ball goes out, you'd be extending each game by 30+ minutes.

13. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    too little too late for West Ham?

14. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not necessarily.

Chelsea still have quite a few games. Just a couple little slips is all it will take.

Chaz Striker repped this.
  15. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The ball is in play only about 55 minutes during an average EPL game so just make it 30-minute halves, no need for time-wasting etc.

16. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep, Chelsea have a tough run-in: (not to mention Real on Wednesday and Leicester in the FA Cup)

Chelsea 61 pts
    Man City A
    Arse H
    Leicester H
    Villa A

West Ham 58 pts
    Everton H
    Brighton A
    West Brom A
    Southampton H

Spurs 56 pts
    Leeds A
    Wolves H
    Villa H
    Leicester A

Liverpool 54 pts
    Man Utd A (TBD)
    Southampton H
    West Brom A
    Burnley A
    Palace H

If WH finish in the top 4, Moyes should get Manager of the Year

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1192 Ashur, May 3, 2021
    Last edited: May 3, 2021
    Chelsea have been on such a good run under Tuchel but, as stated, their run in is busy and difficult. Especially compared to West Ham's where they mostly take on weaker teams with little to play for at this point.
    I think it's a pretty safe bet/claim to assume they'll finish in the top 4 if they manage to run the table and pick up max points in their remaining games (as Chelsea should be dropping points themselves).

Edit: Will honestly be super happy when it's official that Pool will miss out on top 4 and CL qualification. Not only because it will be nice to see toil on Thursday nights from the start but more importantly because it should mean they're out of the race for Sancho, in all likelihood...

18. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What happens if West Ham finish 4th and Chelsea win the CL? Does that mean 5 Prem teams in the CL next year?

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    Right, that's what I mean - if you want to use stop-clock you need to do 25 or 30-minute halves and independent timekeepers (not ref) that keep track of time.

21. Numquam Moribimur

May 30, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    topnoevili and jnielsen repped this.
  22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Get out of here, scum!

23. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
  24. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    [​IMG]

jnielsen and johno repped this.
  25. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Just for the hell of it, I clicked on DS' profile. It shows he made a post on another forum in 2017. Not that he was especially active, but good to know he was still kicking around.