European Qualifiers: Italy vs. Greece & Liechtenstein October 2019

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Oct 12, 2019.

1. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nice win, really stepped up towards the end, 5-0 I'll take it

Rosay repped this.
  2. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    You know it.

He's the only player who's played the full 90 in both games. A true workhorse the last two games.

Rosay repped this.
  3. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    You were saying?

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    He is a work horse. Nothing special though. Does well as part of the XI. He will never be the protagonist and I am fine with that.

The Spaniards tied it in injury time. That puts them through. They join us along with Belgium, Russia, Poland and Ukraine who had already qualified.

calabrese8 repped this.
  5. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Belotti's header from the corner kick and then Romagnoli's header from the broken corner play finally opened it up. But we still need the midfield to pull that trigger when a side closes it on us.

6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I want to see him work with Sensi

Rosay repped this.
  7. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    I know. I'm just having fun. All four second half goals were scored inside the penalty area. :D

8. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    But you understand my point. When sides pack it in, then it is necessary to get shots from outside of the penalty area. These players are unwilling to try.

9. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Tonali came on too. We have alot of wealth in the midfield.

calabrese8 repped this.
  10. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Even at halftime when Italy only lead 1-0, I figured they would score a few more once Liechenstein tired in the second half. I'm sure the heavy rain helped our opponents park the bus, as players were slipping everywhere. Biraghi had a good game. He was probably the standout along with Sirigu. Berna had his moments, and Belotti worked hard for his brace. Not much to take away from a game against a far inferior opponent during bad weather after qualifying. We got the win, and stayed perfect.

calabrese8 repped this.
  11. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    The one shame is that we have all this talent in the middle of the pitch in Verratti, Jorginho, Barella, Sensi and Pellegrini and not one convincing #9. It's a shame to see one or more of those guys on the bench and someone like Immobile starting.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Must be the 40 banana a day diet he's on. So carbs don't pass through you after all. Those communist nutritionists have a lot to learn.

13. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    So De Rossi called up next couple for a farewell game?

calabrese8 repped this.
  14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Is this true

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Belotti hasn’t been convincing enough? As convincing as guys like Luca Toni and Vieri were in the past.. don’t forget even those guys missed the easiest of chances. I’m all in on Belotti. The guy hustles ... opens up space for his teammates... and is good in the air / on set pieces.

Nek Sanalet, Rosay and Falc repped this.
  16. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Mancini said so. And Buffon as well.

calabrese8 repped this.
  17. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I agree. Belotti should be the starting CF for the Euros (Immobile can be his backup for 10-15 minutes). I wouldn't take another CF. Just those two, and take an extra winger for false 9 depending on the opponent.

calabrese8 repped this.
  18. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    He scores once every three games for the NT--and hasn't come up when we have needed him most. FFS Mancini prefers Immobile to him. That should tell you all you need to know.

19. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    when exactly has he not come up when we needed him most for the NT?

are you talking about the world cup qualifying playoff vs Sweden when he was playing on an injured knee?

Edit: one goal in every three games isn't that bad.. matches the scoring record of Luca Toni with the national team.

20. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    He was useless in the playoff against Sweden over two legs. Let's stop making excuses for him. He was on the pitch in both legs and did nothing. If he were hurt he wouldn't be on the pitch. Frankly if he were as good as some here rate him, he wouldn't be at Torino.

21. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    ok.. so he disappointed you coming off an injury?? not everyone can play on one leg coming off an injury like Totti in 2006.

La Magica and Rosay repped this.
  22. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Who did not disappoint in that playoff against Sweden?

johnny6, calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  23. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    That's not the point. When has he ever been good when it has mattered? Remember when there was talk of Belotti moving to a big club? It hasn't happened--perhaps because the big clubs have recognized he is nothing more than an above-average player.

24. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    The big move can happen still and by staying and growing in one decent level club he can be better for it when he does move. Too many talents move to young and it sets them back.

The correct system and he could explode yet at 25 years old. Timing is good.

calabrese8 and Falc repped this.
  25. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Maybe, but it hasn't happened yet and the fact that the prior interest in Belotti died down is telling. For the sake of the NT I hope Belotti does take that next step. That said I think we should be sensible and not overrate our guys.