European opportunities for Manny Perez

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by bshredder, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    It seems like he's found a starting spot in the midfield after starting the season as a reserve -- is that about right, @Thundering165?

2. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Yes, it seems like he's taken hold of the RM position although Sarachan does rotate his squad fairly regularly. He did have an injury scare last weekend after rolling his ankle, but came back on the field after about 5 minutes. The team is much better when he's on the field.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Inbox:

Cary, N.C. (June 21, 2019) – Midfielder Manny Perez, currently on loan with North Carolina FC, is set to return to his parent club, Celtic FC, for a preseason training camp in Europe from June 25 through early July.

Perez, a former member of the NCFC Youth Academy who played collegiately at N.C. State, will rejoin NCFC on July 4.​

4. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    He hasn't played since the USOC match against Florida Soccer Soldiers. To the best of my knowledge he's had a minor injury. He's been missed while he's been out.

5. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    Thundering165 repped this.
  6. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Injury issues kept him out for a while and COVID ruined the whole USL season, but Manny was a difference maker for NCFC. He played right wing as the RB spot had been locked up by DJ Taylor.

He’s got talent but still a long way to go.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Not to derail this thread, but what's the story with Taylor? I really know very little about him, but his career path is fairly unusual (though it will probably become much more common). At 23 he's an established pro coming up on around 100 first-team appearances, and a cup of coffee in Europe early on. Even if he's not a surefire MLS starter right now (which isn't my opinion, just a hypothetical) he can presumably get a bigger payday somewhere with his resume, maybe even without a trial. Charlotte's launch in '22 is a long way off.

8. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Beats me, to be honest. He’s a very good two way FB for USL, and he’s a 97 so pretty young. He’s not flashy but his technique is solid and he is a strong defender. He trialed with NYCFC early this year (along with Andre Fortune, a young local product with a T&T call up).

NCFC has some talent and the academy is very solid here. It will probably become a source for Charlotte FC although the locals aren’t happy Tepper skipped to the head of the line.

9. justinkicks

justinkicks Member

United States
    Feb 22, 2019
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, does anyone have an update on Manny? Transfermarkt lists him as being with Celtic, but that is by default, since his NCFC loan expired 11/30/2020. I don't know if he qualifies for a work permit or not yet.

10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I keep an eye out but no updates so far.

11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #61 m vann, Apr 26, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
    I read an article in a Celtic publication back in early March that Perez was still limbo and at the mercy of the Home Office to have the WP sorted out. The article centered around the frustration Celtic (mostly fans) have had with both Perez and the Andrew Gutman signings. Many feel like Celtic could have done more to help them out and it’s now been deemed a waste. The writer seemed to indicate, Perez would probably be cut loose much like Gutman.

Celtic is at a crossroads. They are about to dump many players this summer. I think a philosophical change is on the horizon. They’ve relied recently on more established players from down South and from the continent and gone away from integrating youth into the side in the pursuit of 10 consecutive titles. They have failed massively. There’s many, including myself, that think they need to take a hard look in the mirror and see what clubs like Red Bull Salzburg are doing with younger players. The brass at Celtic needs to fancy being a develop and sell club.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    There is 0% chance of Perez earning a WP.

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably.Scotland is much easier than England, though. No idea on the credibility but on some Celtic forums that I am subscribed to, someone mentioned he (more likely the agent) was trying a backdoor entrance to a WP via a university degree. It was mentioned, he was finishing his degree online. No idea if that’s credible of not. In some ways it does seem far fetched and in other ways, it does not. So who the hell knows! I think it’s very possible he pops up in the USL Championship sooner than later.

14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News! Literally just happened. Signed with Portland and loaned to Austin FC

https://www.timbers.com/2021-mls-re...ment/signing/manny-perez-loan-austin-20210426

UniversalAdvice and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
  16. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Try another one.

TarHeels17 and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  17. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor that he's headed to AC Horsens:

m vann, Winoman and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Thundering165 repped this.
  19. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    The US-based Binnie family recently took their first club ownership by investing in AC Horsens through Carlisle Capital.

https://www.insideworldfootball.com...rst-club-ownership-steps-denmarks-ac-horsens/

At the same time Bill Binnie has become chairman of the board at AC Horsens, while his two sons Adam and Colin have become members of the board, just like the former USA U-18 assistant manager and now former Manchester United match analyst and First Team Scout Scott Donnelly has been hired to be in charge of their scouting.

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Exciting news for Manny who just happens to be my daughter’s favorite player. I haven’t followed him as closely since he moved to Louisville but by all accounts he’s one of the better FBs in USL.

He suffered a couple really tough injuries around his time in Celtic but that seems to be behind him now. He’s always been a very good dribbler and attack minded player, but he’s so one footed that it limits his ability as a winger since he can’t cut inside comfortably.

Horsens definitely seems to be diving in to the NA market as they also just picked up Simon Becher from Vancouver. Interesting approach to go for the guys who aren’t quite good enough for MLS but right on the cusp. There’s definite value there.

Ceres repped this.