European Clubs at Bridgeview in late-July

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by BMike86, May 22, 2007.

1. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In late July supposedly Toyota Park will be hosting a little friendly tournament with these clubs Olympiakos (greece), Valencia (spain), Wisla Krakow (poland), Inter Milan (italy), and Juventus (italy) to name a few. there might be more, but those are the only clubs i have read about so far.

my question is, have any of you heard any more about this? or what dates these friendly matches might be played for this "tournament" in late july at toyota park. it should be a site to see none the less, even if some of reserves are playing on the pitch.

yes, i know Cracovia Krakow is coming in June, and Celtic is in a friendly with the Fire in July, but these clubs supposedly have no connection to this "tournament" they will host at toyota park

2. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002

Luis in the Trib had made mention of it before...but he had Cruz Azul as one of the teams (though they've had their own issues in the last week and were rumored to be out before that) and this at Soldier Field.

I'd find the link to his blog but I'm lazy. But there was at least another thread about this a few weeks ago.

3. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it would definitely make more sense to host some of these clubs at soldier field... if you have time it would be much appreciated if you could post the link... thanks! :)

4. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Wisla, Necaxa and Sevilla, plus one other Euro team to be announced later. At New Soldier Field.

5. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    definitely still sounds interesting as a Wisla fan :)

just wondering, where'd u hear that from, or what source? because i've been getting anxious ever since hearing Wisla is coming to chicago

6. Es Brennt

Es Brennt Member+

Feb 25, 2003
    Shermer, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  7. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
  8. CHI_TOWN_BALLA

Dec 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard about most of those teams but i DIDNT hear about INTER MILAN!!!! Thats insane! if I true I def. need to get tickets at that!

But yea, I heard somethin like they were just waiting on one team to give the ok then it would be set. I can`t remember where I heard it from though

9. Super Sting

Super Sting Member

Jan 27, 2006
    The teams announced are:
    FC Sevilla
    Parma
    Toluca
    Cracovia

A far cry from the speculated teams. I am glad though as I didn't think I would be able to afford it anyway, I don't think I 'll be missing much.

10. Tom Dunmore

Tom Dunmore BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Source?

Pretty excited about Sevilla.

11. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it can't be... Wisla Krakow have been planning to be part of this tournament the past 3 months!!! i don't see why Cracovia would come back out here if they are already here in june. i'm hoping this guy has messed up on the Krakow clubs for this tournament... **fingers crossed**

i will be focking p!ssed if Wisla doesn't come out, and Cracovia comes out twice in one summer!!!

13. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I'll go if it doesn't cost alot, but I agree with Super Sting

14. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you are wrong... that ******** apparently thought there is only one club in Krakow... too bad he is badly mistaken

Wisla Krakow will be in the tournament in late July... Cracovia Krakow will not be there in july, they are only coming for the friendly in June against the Fire :D

four clubs are:
    Parma
    Sevilla
    Wisla Krakow
    Toluca

15. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that guy assumes those are the clubs... but he didn't check things over before writing in his blog... it will be Wisla Krakow NOT Cracovia in the tournament

here is news from Wisla TODAY stating again how they will be in the tournament in late july in chicago with the clubs as mentioned Parma, Sevilla, and a mexican club

http://www.wislakrakow.com/www/showarticle.php?articleid=14607

again, it is wisla krakow, not cracovia... to the average fan it may not mean much, but to poles it means everything!!!

16. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Wait, wait...so cracovia's coming and not wisla, right?

;)

17. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

I think to fans of good soccer it also means everything. Much as I despise them, Wisla will put on a better show than Cracovia (with whom I trained for a few days with their youth team).

18. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    To those not up to date on Polish soccer: Wisla and Cracovia are two hated rivals from Krakow. Their derby matches are often marred by extreme (even by Polish standards) fan violence and on-the-field antics. The confusion that occured on this board probably had to do with the name "Cracovia", which is latin and Italian for the city of Krakow, but also happens to be the name of one of the teams.

To get back to the tournament itself: as krolpolski said, Wisla will put on a much better show than Cracovia would. Even though they had an "off season" this year - generally they feature in Champions League qualifiers or at least the UEFA cup, but not this year - they still have four or five players who are regulars on the Polish National Team, plus a decent foreign contingent of players.

But my question is this: since this tournament is called the "Chicago Trophy" is the Fire going to play in it as well?

19. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nope, no chicago fire. it seems like it would make sense to have chicago fire, but it doesn't

4 teams, the first match will be on thursday or friday, then the final will be on sunday (i'm assuming probably with a 3rd place game as well so the other two teams face off)

20. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

From what I've seen, each team will play two matches and will be awarded points for a win, draw and bonus points for goals scored. Trophy goes to the team with the most points.

And can the mods change the title. This will not be at Bridgeview but Soldier Field.

21. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea... i didn't know where the venue when i first asked

22. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Rev. Lacy in the Sun-Times today has the Italian team TBA. Not sure if Parma dropped or he didn't get the same memo that Luis did, but...

23. BMike86

BMike86 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I talked to Luis and he noticed he made a mistake, and wanted to crawl underneath his desk when he saw it. He will correct it in what he releases today about the official press conference. It is Wisla Krakow coming, NOT Cracovia like Luis initially thought. Just a minor slip up on his part:rolleyes:

24. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    Right...we covered that...still doesn't solve the confusion over the Italian team though.

25. FireFanInPackerLand

Dec 8, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh.