European 22-23 Season

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ihateyousomuch, Jul 7, 2022.

1. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    I wonder if these FFP cases eventually drive the bigger clubs to the super league in the coming years. I find it hard to believe that Chelsea, PSG and the others are not breaking FFP.

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yes, of course this is true. But, I'll give another example of why Man City will get away with it. Their defense is likely going to be a defense that implicates other EPL clubs. They'll claim that they are being targeted and they will highlight the dealings of Chelsea, Man United and the like. And while maybe someone at the EPL, FA, or UEFA really want to make an example out of Man City, they don't want to if it's gonna implicate the rest of the money brands as well.

There are a few tiers of rules by which the game is played. The Ultra Rich EPL clubs, the rest of the EPL, the ultra rich continental clubs, and then everyone else. And this system has made a shit ton of people a shit ton of money. Club football is more popular than it's ever been and the brands are a huge reason why. And while it's not good for competition, it has increased the value of even some shitty rusted out clubs. A rising tide lifts all boats. They don't want the full scandal that would come with peeling back the curtain and letting everyone see what's behind.

kgilbert78 and hardhead repped this.
  3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dortmund was one of those back in the day.... they got a pass with some similar stuff.

4. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm still trying to figure out how in the world they can say that wasn't a PK in the West Ham v Chelsea game.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Because there's no definition of a handball anymore. It's become what traveling is in basketball.

MLSinCleveland and CybrSlydr repped this.
  6. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very simple rule change:

does the player that touched the ball with his hand (be it ball to hand or hand to ball, doesn’t matter) gain an advantage?

if yes, its a penalty. If no, its not.

The end.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    I wish it were that simple. I'm not exactly sure when they changed the rule but I can no longer define a handball.

8. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    D022BD79-095B-4E51-AB8C-89226D1719A5.jpeg From the IFAB LOTG interpretation section:

9. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    From the puttputtfc interpretation section.

Question: A team that overspends and has been terrible for the game has plastic, irate fans because they no longer get as much favoritism from the refs. How should one react?

Answer: Point at Chelsea and laugh!

It was still a terrible non call.

CybrSlydr and DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  10. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like jealousy to me.

Keep bringing the hate [emoji23]

11. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude hits the ball with his hand, clearly blocks what appears to be a shot on target, and that’s ok. That’s ridiculous.

stanger, puttputtfc and CybrSlydr repped this.
  12. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone interested in reading about the recent history of Valencia, here is a phenomenal article from the great Sid Lowe:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...t-engulfs-the-mestalla?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

15 coaches in 9 years. Two stadiums, one they can’t finish building and one they can’t sell. A team that has been around over 100 years, and has only been relegated once. Two championships this millennium, Europa League winners, and back to back Champions League finalists (losing to Bayern Munich and Real Madrid).

And now… they are in the relegation zone. This is the lowest they’ve been in the table this late in the season since 1987, the only time they’ve been relegated.

Fvck Peter Lim. Dude bought the team in 2014, hasn’t been to a game in FIVE YEARS. Fvck Jorge Mendes. This is historically the third biggest team in Spain, it’s the third largest city. Shitshow doesn’t even begin to describe this mess.

¡Lim vete ya!

hangthadj repped this.
  13. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    Sounds like the Spanish version of Newcastle

14. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The worst run EPL club or probably even Championship club has a much larger parachute than near all continental clubs, even clubs with great histories like Valencia.

To wit, this last transfer window Nicolo Zaniolo from Roma was on the market. His agent was angling for a move to Milan, the current Scudetto holders and round of 16 participants in this year’s Champions League. However, Milan could not match the bid from Bournemouth. The same Bouremouth that is in the relegation zone of EPL. Zaniolo eventually turned down Bournemouth, and Roma sold him out of Italy to Galatassaray who still didn’t match Bournemouth’s bid.

It’s just completely different levels of resources. It’s a different game. Which again is why continued English face plants in Europe are so enjoyable.

soccerncbus and Kyle Crew repped this.
  15. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Looking at the last 10 years of Champions League winners, the regulars are all there with nobody since Inter Milan in 09-10 standing out. I would argue the fact that PSG and Barca haven't won CL since 2014 is a bigger story than EPL face planting.

16. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I guess? I mean in the past 15 years Real Madrid has more than the entire EPL. And this isn’t taking into account European competition in Europa League or UEFA Cup, or whatever it’s been called, where the depth of EPL teams should outshine any of the continental leagues. And yet, continental teams near always punch above their weight against much better financed EPL sides.

As an aside, I’m not entirely sure PSG or Barca not winning is a bigger story than Man City not winning, or even the likes of Man U, Chelsea, or other giants being in and out of the competition year over year. But, your mileage may vary.

17. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Real Madrid isn't exactly some lightweight punching above their weight. Their estimated annual payroll for this year is over $314,000,000 which is higher than Chelsea by the way. Every team that has won CL in the last 10 years are super clubs. All spending more money than they should on transfer fees and salaries. EPL may have a few more that fit into that category than La Liga or Ligue 1, and Bundesliga, but the top teams in those leagues all look the same to me in terms of financial irresponsibility.

18. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    The depth of the EPL is a hinderance to Euro competition. Real Madrid can take it easy against the bottom half teams and still win while a Leeds or Crystal Palace can beat a top English team who is lazy. That's why Real is always ready for CL games. 25-30 of their league games are a glorified practice.

soccerncbus and stanger repped this.
  19. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to who?

20. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    Likely if applied evenly FFP. I'll admit I don't know enough to say for sure there and don't really want to dig into it myself. I might be off base though.

21. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not looking forward to watching Spurs get their clocks cleaned by Milan this afternoon. Valentine's Day heartbreak.

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chelsea had their books looked into very, very closely during the forced sale. While they had been in trouble previously, and had sanctions put on them, they are not in violation of FFP rules at the moment.

Manchester City, however, is in deep shit.

23. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PSG and Madrid are super clubs. Bayern can’t compete with then financially.

That’s the entire list of non-EPL mega rich clubs (add Barca again once they get their shit sorted out).

24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a lazy narrative. Madrid literally just lost to Mallorca last week. They are trailing Barca by a significant margin because they’re been dropping points.

hangthadj repped this.
  25. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madrid have actually gone into austerity for a few years so that they could afford Mbappe. They are one of the healthiest clubs when it comes to FFP.