Euro teams failing in Asia = More games in USA?

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by lond2345, Jul 26, 2005.

1. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    For those that haven't noticed it seems that the novelty is wearing off when it comes to Euro teams playing in Asia. Man U couldn't sell out their 2 games in China and their most recent one came in a half empty stadium. This happening in a country where Man U supposedly has like 40 million fans! There were also lots of empty seats in the Real games in Asia as well. None of the euro teams were able to sell out their games in Asia. Everyone regards Asia as a goldmine for euro teams, but seeing their recent attendances compared to the great crowds here in the USA, could we see the Euro teams shift their attention to the USA?

2. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, "half-full" in that stadium is about 40,000 people. Chelsea and AC Milan attracted 26,000 at Gillette.

3. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    the article said not even half full.

galaxy vs madrid = sell out
    madrid vs chivas = 50k +

4. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    I think a poster in the Asian forum said it best - people are getting sophisticated and won't shell out lots of money to watch meaningless friendlies. The same thing is happening in North America.

Revenue from international tours will dry-up for this clubs in the next few years, but they still have great potential to raise money in terms of merchandising and media rights.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Real still made ~ $25M off its 6-game tour. That's good money even for them.

6. Bogart

Bogart New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    True, LA sold out its match and the crowd looked great. But, according to the Fire boards they are only expecting 20,000 - 30,000 for the AC Milan match. And, Steven Goff states that DCU ticket sales just surpassed 20,000 for the Thursday night match. Now, that is great compared to where soccer was 10 years ago in the USA, but let's not kid ourselves. We have a lot of work to do. Based purely on the ticket sales, I don't see European teams passing the Asian market to come stateside.

7. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Well Chelsea and Milan are not as big as Man United here in the states

8. Nepal Footy

Nepal Footy New Member

Feb 8, 1999
    Nepal
    They won't be offered that much in the future. These tours are a passing fad.

9. lpowen13

lpowen13 Member

Jul 28, 2002
    NY
    also teams always talk about the great treatment they get in the USA while Beckham got spit on in Japan

10. MLS SupaStr3

MLS SupaStr3 New Member

Jul 2, 2003
    NJ
    i don't mind if it's meaningless. if they're playing good ball intensley, i want to watch it. if man u had their pre-season here, i would definatly go to most of their games in the tri-state area.

11. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, there's something quite cyclical about it. You come a couple times, you can't come again for a while.

12. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Aug 21, 2002
    JSC, Houston, TX

Not yet mentioned is relative ticket prices. I would be surprised if ticket prices in China were even half the US level, so 26,000 in the US probably generates more revenue than 40,000 in mainland China.

13. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I doubt it. This is all about building a presence in potentially big markets. While I'm sure they'd like to sell out games, the real goal here is to build merchandising down the road. In that respect, the Asian market is almost certainly larger than the US market.

14. EdTheRed

EdTheRed Member+

Feb 6, 2001
    Loose On The Town
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Cook Islands
    As of Wednesday morning's Post, Goff says they're over 25,000 sold, with the lower bowl almost full, so at least United-Chelsea in DC will likely outdraw Milan-Chelsea in Foxboro.