Euro Qualifier Sept. 8th, 2007 : Italia - France [R]

Discussion in 'France: National Teams' started by jpg75, Aug 27, 2007.

1. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    World class defenders are world class defenders...what else do you want me to say?

2. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Funny enough stupid Domenech did the exact same thing tonight against Scotland , he playes with 2 DMF , while he knows Scotland is going to have 875878748 players behind the ball . :rolleyes:

3. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Ah, how both teams could benefit from having a different manager. I think Group B can go down as the worst-managed Euro 2008 qualifying group because on paper, it really shouldn't be this way.

In any event, it does make it more interesting, though if one supports either of the teams that were blue, all the more bitterly difficult.

4. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    ... Yet Italy is still firmly in entrenched in the qualifying round.... How interesting. :rolleyes:

If Donadoni makes it and starts performing well in the Euro 2008, you and all the other Italian fans will begin worshipping him non-stop.

Why is that?

Because the exact same thing happened with Lippi. EVERYONE hated him before the World Cup, and loathed him.

Yet, once he performed.... He was praised.

No wonder Lippi resigned - being the Azzurri coach is one of the most difficult jobs ever - the fans and media always ready to destroy you.

I wonder what would have happened had Lippi stayed, and the team still went off the way it did... Like with Bearzot in 1984 - completely hated after failing to qualify for Euro 1984.

5. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And the guy starting with K who used to play for Inter was hung in public in germany for the 2 years before the world cup...and then what?

I think people just need to blame the guy wearing the suit because they don't want to blame their heroes - the players. Unless the player is OUTRIGHT RUBBISH, the blame always goes to the manager.

As far as I know, the reason we fell in love with the game is because of the feats of the players. Not by staring at the guy in the suit.

So now, be objective and point the blame at the players when the team plays bad. There are 11 players on the pitch, not 11 managers.

The managers don't screw things up in matches that go wrong anywhere near as much as bad performances by players do.

Any decision he does make during the game with regards to a sub, might, just might be because he knows the player 100 times better than us, and has spotted or intuitively knows something about what might happen next to this guy given the way the match is going.

If the next guy on does better, the manager is a hero. If he doesn't, "it's all the manager's fault".

If a team plays badly, just admit the players played crap.

It amazes me that this cause of the bad performance has not occured to people.

6. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Support Napoli! ;)

We're always looking for converts :)

7. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Donadoni must of slipped him his play book!

8. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Oh c'mon. Who STARTS Del Piero anymore? That's enough grounds to say he didn't know what he was doing. He finds out the hard way, luckily for him today Di Natale, ADPs REPLACEMENT, came through. Now, what if he started Di Natale against France...hmmmm

9. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    yes, but did you see where kéké was playing? and against a physical physical side like scotland you need your pitbulls. if ray started nasri, it's should have been in place of either nico or trez. the problem wasn't having enough players forward, sometimes there were almost too many! no, you have to give scotland credit, they played the match of their lives.

we still have our destiny in our hands: come november in glasgow someone's going to drop points and our goal differential should see us through.

10. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    (Sorry Les Bleus fans for posting this here, but it was posted here so I gotta reply here...)

Actually, I for one liked Lippi since his days at Atalanta in the early '90's and was very excited when he was appointed as Azzurri coach. Never stopped believing in him for a single moment once he because CT, and was annoyed with that whole "Forza Ghana" movement that came out of the pre-WC 2006 scandal...

In addition, I have yet to hear a single voice (outside FIGC) defending Donadoni in Italy. Not a one. Sure, he's a great guy. Sure, he was a great player. Sure this. Sure that. Frankly, I'm not impressed, and to be honest I was very excited when he too was appointed CT. Here, for once, was an Italian institution putting faith in a "youngster." Instead of going with a 60-70 yr-old "Trap II," they turn around and appoint a guy who seemed to have clear ideas, though a very modest career as coach to that point. Well, it ain't workin'...and while it may not be 100% his fault, the coach is the first person that needs to grab a situation by the reigns and make things happen. Italy won the WC last year primarily because of Lippi and the unit he created. Rather than build on that, it appears to me (and a huge % of the population of Italy) that Donadoni doesn't quite know how to handle it. If we are proven wrong, so much the better. But if not, somebody needs to ring Capello (or whoever else I suppose) on his cell phone...

11. SuperSebGrimaldi

May 28, 2007
    Scarsdale, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Capello would be, I think, the best choice, butI think you know he'll call on Panucci at right back. ;)

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    why can't we accept that if the match doesn't turn out well, that it was because the players couldn't do it right?

I am sure they didn't before the match come up with the most brainless idea and spend 90 mins executing it

I think they all have very good plans before the match, but during the match they did the right ideas, incorrectly in practice.

yet, we interpret it as they did the wrong ideas correctly for 90 mins.

if that is the case, our footballers must be the dummest people on earth.

then, we act smart and say "why didn't so and so play instead of this guy".

Well, great idea mate, but if the guy you suggest goes out there and plays crap, we are back to square one

13. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Did not mention you personally, I meant in general.

Yet, the squad has fiercely defended Donadoni. Not one player has said a word of criticism against Donadoni, and in fact, openly sustain him. When Trapattoni was coaching, for instance, many were already having "bracci di ferro" against him.

I do agree that Lippi was excellent in building 'the team.' That is our most essential point to remember, and something Donadoni should remember.

But I don't think he's been unsuccessful with it. He has called up a lot of players - yes, but the ones that get to play are generally the same group.

Calling up Panucci and Chiellini was important, as was Gamberini's. We've been suffering with our starting defense, and even now we have to decide who will replace Cannavaro in the match against Georgia. If anything, these are wise moves as Cannavaro and Materazzi won't be here forever. Their suspension and injury respectively, though may seem painful now, are needed as Donadoni needs to begin reflecting on our future defense. Panucci probably won't be involved, but his call up was important in placing an element of experience.

The only match where Donadoni truly disappointed me was against France. Both sides were pulling for a draw, and both seriously miscalculated their numbers when doing so. I'm not even going to discuss the first two games - as I really can't blame the coach for Lithuania, when for instance Inzaghi missed quite a few important chances, as did other players.

The first France game was similar - how can you blame him for a goal incorrectly called onside, or perhaps an Henry strike that deflected off Cannavaro? It's ridiculous (French fans - please understand I'm not trying to minimize the victory at Stade-de-France, it was deserved, I'm just establishing a point) to do so. Plus, we were out of form, the league hadn't started, the World Cup hangover....etc. But in the rest of the games - the Azzurri performed and won - though occasionally shakily (like against the FI), but all in all, he gave us the points, what truly matter, and that explains why we are sitting in second place, and are contending for first.

I do think he has a lot to learn. However, I also think he is merely in a transition phase. He is learning, and is on his way to choosing his own kind of tactical strategy and squad he needs. He didn't really step on as coach at the best moment in time.

Bearzot was awful in the games following the 1982 victory - much worse than any of us can complain about - losing even to Cyprus.

If we make it to the Euros, and the Azzurri sail through the group stage like in the World Cup, everyone will repent and become bandwagoners, I feel it.

PS - I don't give a damn to what is the opinion of most Italians and people outside of Italy - I form my own opinions.

14. N. Platini

N. Platini Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Londres
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Should we just move this thread to the Italian boards , seriously ? :p

15. Reazzurro90

Reazzurro90 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Connecticut, USA
    Wouldn't be bad thing.... :p

All right... You are right... Discussion on Donadoni in here ended.