Euro 2024 Thread

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by fdasilva, Mar 17, 2023.

1. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We could have had 6 or 7 goals. I think Slovakia got lucky with the weather conditions in this game.

Martinez looks really mad that we let in two goals. One was deflected and the other was a wonder strike, nothing we could have done.

Hard to fault the team with rain pouring down like that. Those who have played a game in weather like that know how ridiculous things can get. A touch of the ball can be so unpredictable.

Martinez is still the king.

jec1 and verde-rubro repped this.
  2. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  3. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yea and Ronaldo has 6 goals. The should keep playing 90 of every game

4. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think we will struggle a lot against better teams. I’m not a fan of Palhinha either. I think he’s good at being a destroyer but I don’t think he offers enough support to the centre backs. He never really makes himself available for passes from the cbs. Given that Slovakias press was weak today, it didn’t hinder us much, but against better teams who will heavily press I can see us struggling to transition the ball out of our end of the pitch. This is probaly the reason why Amorim preferred ugarte to him

it’s a pity we don’t have a team like Denmark/Netherlands in this group to provide us more of a competitive game to show if we are legit or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if he reverts back to 3 cb when we face stronger nations

5. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    What I do blame them is for the mental let down at the end when all they had to do was ball possession like they did the rest of the game . Everyone thought the game was over and wanted to score themselves . Coach pissed and that won’t happen again.
    The remainder of the game, we played really well and are making strides towards the kind of ball we need to play

6. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Lol Palhinha played a great game and saved our back end numerous times . Going forward I agree but that’s not what we need from that position . We have other players for that .

jec1 and nelly29 repped this.
  7. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Amorim preferred Ugarte to Palhinha?!?!?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My god you really have no idea what you're talking about. Ugarte was there as a substitute for Palhinha once he was sold to Fulham. And when Ugarte was there, there were massive holes defensively.

I do somewhat agree with playing him in a 3-man midfield. The problem with a 3-man midfield is you either have a CM who plays more defensively, or one who plays more attack minded. Portugal might be better suited for a #8 if they're going to play 4-3-3 rather than a #6. But regardless, there's a reason why this dude had the most duels won and most tackles made in the EPL in his debut season. He does his job as a trinco and does it well. He also has the dribbling ability to bring the ball forward as well.

8. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    not trying to start a forum argument this is a legit question what is it you feel like we need at that position and who?

9. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Gonna have to disagree here, Ugarte took Palhinhas spot. That why he was sold, and why he was sold so cheaply. He wasn’t starting by the time he was sold to Fulham. Love Palhinha, but Ugarte is a much better player imo.

Anyways, Bruno man of the match yet again. He’s been Portugals best player in these qualifiers.

10. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Not even remotely true. But if you have anything to back up that claim, please share it. Palhinha's last season with us had him starting and featuring in way more games than Ugarte. That's an absolute fact. Ugarte never took Palhinha's spot until Palhinha's was sold, and when he finally was a starter, we were leaking in goals left and right. Dude was an absolute liability at the back, especially with a 3-man defense. He was nowhere near as good as Palhinha. Palhinha was a massive reason why we became champs after 20 years. Ugarte was still at Famalicao.

Palhinha:
    Screenshot_20231014-083014.png

Ugarte:
    Screenshot_20231014-083027_copy_600x1160.png

11. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Can someone explain why bum ass Antonio Silva gets minutes on this team? Aside from him being literal dog shit for Benfica this season, you can see Diogo Costa bitching at him after the game blaming him for both goals. And he almost scored that own goal. I'm not sure Costa knows how he saved that.

How this clown starts over Inacio is a joke

12. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    He has his face away from the camera LOL

No one knows what he said.. he could have said you owe me 2 cervejas after the game..

13. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

How do you rate his performance?

14. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Fair question . With as much attacking players as we have, we need a player that is good at winning midfield battles, stopping counter attacks (even if that means fouls) etc . We don’t need another attacking style player getting caught upfield on counters . Don’t Niels weak physically players that get easily bodied off the balls etc .

15. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    but isn't that exactly what paulinhas strengths are? i thought you were saying he played well but that's not what we need at that position and have better players? or did you have a typo and were talking about someone else? my bad I'm confused. lmao wtf

16. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    My bad, I worded that poorly . I meant going forward he is not great but that’s not what we need from that position

money11 repped this.
  17. money11

money11 Member

Apr 15, 2007
    my bad! gotcha. agreed.

eurodad repped this.
  18. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hit me up when Antonio Silva can put in a ball like Inacio just did for that Bruno F. goal.

But ya know, Jorge Mendes and Lampiao things.

19. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    4-0

Cancelo with a bomb. Ronaldo, shut up! Throwing his hands up like it was his to score.

Btw, Danilo playing well!

money11 repped this.
  20. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    5-0

If santos still coached... We'd parked the bus. Romar letting them roam.

21. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    JP always gets hate. He is exactly what we need down the middle, he will provide cover and is intimidating, you need those players.

SCP_16 repped this.
  22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  23. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    These results are impressive. Last team to give Bosnia & Herzegovina a loss this big was Argentina and that was all the way back in 1998.

Martinez is the king.

Euro 2024 trophy incoming.

24. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

RamyBt repped this.