Euro 2021 - (news, scores, etc...)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by yasik19, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chelsea fans arent exactly the classiest group of humans going, but the pond life that 'support' england are a shameful embarrassment.

And it doesn't need to be that way. The england rugby fans are great and the cricket fans are largely brilliant. The barmy army provide robust support with passion and humour. The football fans bring the worst brass band in the world and a unique collection of National Front tattoos.

Boris10 repped this.
  2. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chelsea FC over country 100%

3. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    But the biggest scum are the ones running the country. The 'leaders' like Boris Johnson and the Bullingdown Club, Farage and the other Dulwich College boys, The Saxe-Coburg-Gotha family, etc. These are the people that are the real problem.

mings.jpg

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say I'm the opposite but, tbh, it's always been a false choice as Chelsea are NEVER going to play England.

So, for me, when England are playing I'm more interested in how England do and if that means a Chelsea player sitting out a game, so be it.

But when Chelsea are playing they come first and if that means someone gets injured or is knackered for an England game, again, so be it.

Frankly it's like choosing apples over oranges. If you want an apple then you'd prefer an apple and vice versa. Why is this an issue.

Boris10 repped this.
  5. Boris10

Boris10 Member

Chelsea
    England
    Sep 25, 2019
    I agree with the bit about wanting England to do well even if that means a Chelsea player sitting out a game. Completely. I mean that in terms of what matters more to me, the hypothetical ‘would you rather win the league or England qualify for x tournament?’ Type of thing.

I’m certainly not anti-England.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm guessing that the majority of people that support Chelsea, (who are, after all, an English club), will at least have a passing interest in whether England are competitive at a national level... not least because, if they're not, what does that say about the quality of play in the EPL where, again, Chelsea play the bulk of their games.

So, to my mind, they should either want England to be doing OK, (not necessarily winning anything but being competitive, like I say), or they just won't care one way or the other.

I mean yas is of Ukrainian background I believe so I'd imagine he'd want them to do well. There's absolutely NO reason why anyone should expect him to support England, particularly if they're playing against Ukraine. That would be ludicrous.

The people who annoy me are the club supporters, (usually of Liverpool or yanited it has to be said), who are English and yet STILL don't care whether they win any games. That just seems a bit perverse and, frankly, a bit sad.

Boris10 repped this.
  7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    I actually semi-support England exactly b/c of Chelsea. It obviously makes it easier when a few players from Chelsea represent the national team.

8. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    WANEWAS-high-res-e1612192160430.jpg

Rman3349 repped this.
  9. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. Rman3349

Rman3349 Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Oct 31, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Same here. For internationals I'll also go for USA first, then Italy, and England third.

Despite my whole family being Italian, my first language being Italian, and all of my early experience with the sport being on Italian-language TV, I found myself very torn during that final.

It's because, as many have said here, I definitely identify with the club over country mindset, and Chelsea play in England

JimWharton and yasik19 repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  12. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Club Football/Soccer Vs. International Tournament Football/Soccer

The World Cup. Such A great tournament. It is a tournament and as we all know tournament football/soccer is very different to the bread and butter that we all love. Club level is where it is at. The national tournaments are great, the world cup, every 4 years, we love it. Everybody gets into it, people who normally do not give 2 fcucks about the game get involved. During the tournaments I support Merrie Olde England, even though the national anthem sucks and the royal family can go to hell imho. I am solidly behind our players. I like rugby and cricket, but those collegial and friendly middle-class sports just don’t have the same meaning as football/soccer. Although the beautiful working-class game comes with its beautiful working class baggage, it also comes with extreme passion. The nasty side of that nationalist support is ugly and inexcusable and thankfully those “supporters” are in the minority. The media fires up that ignorant fan base and gets them into a frenzy and uses them to sell their wares. Meanwhile the Eton schooled Prime Minister says things like “Watermelon Smiles” and uses words like ‘piccaninnies’. Fcuck him and all the Tories and Royals. . . ahem, where was I?

Oh yes, Club football is better, it is a much better Soap Opera for a start. It is all week and every week. Comings and goings and possibilities. It just has much greater texture and depth. Club football is of a higher standard. Club football is more sophisticated. There is a much much greater intensity to following at the club level. International football is for tourists.

There is nothing wrong with being a tourist.

Boris10 repped this.
  13. StamfordBridgeLions

Chelsea FC
    Sep 4, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC