Euro 2020 - Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by noar1985, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    Other than the potential outrage by taking those tickets arbitrarily first, the problem with that is I assume that smaller groups/singles are more apt to have the more expensive seats than groups of four do. Because it's UEFA, I could see them saying we need money and refunding all of Tier 3 first if they don't do a lottery. I think they will do a lottery though.

2. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Certainly from the UK side the lock has and will be the toughest in Europe and though probably over cautious they absolutely do not want another wave again.

LaParka710 repped this.
  3. detredwin

detredwin Member

Oct 30, 2019
    I can see it being done for the group phase, especially for host team cities. I do not see it for the non-host groups and especially for the knockout rounds where 0 teams are playing their first knockout round at home. I may be foolish but I do not see local residents paying Euro prices to watch 2 other teams to the full extent of capacity permission. Given how money driven all of this is, I believe UEFA will punt on this and leave it in your hands whether you can get there or not.

4. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I get that belief for sure because it is UEFA, but it comes down to whether the money overrides the PR fallout and government issues they could have.

5. detredwin

detredwin Member

Oct 30, 2019
    And again, we are still 2 months away. 2 months ago, US was in uproar over awful vaccination metrics. Now, we are on pace to basically have one for anyone who wants it by late April. By mid-June, European attitudes in many cities may change. Why would UEFA purposefully grab non-res tickets at this time? Wouldn't it make more sense for them to leave the burden of getting into a stadium or seeking refund with us, not with them?

6. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    But, UEFA isn't making the decision in mid-June. They're making it this month where countries in Europe are struggling with case counts, vaccinations, and lockdowns. Not to mention they have to listen to governments that are having those issues as well.

7. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
  8. BarneyG

BarneyG Member

None
    Mar 16, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC

I’d be shocked if they didn’t refund all of Tier 3 first. Or if you’re in 1-2 you get more tickets for a lottery.

Take Hampden at 25% capacity, and requiring 2m rule, you’re going to find that fans with Tier 2, Tier 1, are going to end up in less premium seats, so where does that leave Tier 3?

LaParka710 repped this.
  9. detredwin

detredwin Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Just saw remarks from the KNVB director De Jong that foreign fans have just as much chance as Dutch fans to attend games. Hopes to have the number as high as 20,000 per game once June rolls around.

welshbairn and LaParka710 repped this.
  10. detredwin

detredwin Member

Oct 30, 2019
    And, according to Turkish media, Baku has confirmed 50% capacity concerning both local and international fans. aa.com.tr/en/sports, second article on that page.

11. Olegrussia

Olegrussia New Member

AC Milan
    Russia
    Apr 1, 2021
    Санкт-Петербург и Баку, с оценочной заполняемостью 50%, вероятно, сохранят категорию 3, по крайней мере частично.

12. BarneyG

BarneyG Member

None
    Mar 16, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    St. Petersburg and Baku, with an estimated occupancy rate of 50%, are likely to retain Category 3, at least partially.

Interesting to know, doesn’t bode too well for lower % Stadia mind.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But that's the normal situation. What I mean is that when we have just 1 (or 2) hosts like for all previous Euros, less than 15% of the matches (or <25% if two hosts) involve the host nation.

Sure there are some travelling fans but I am pretty sure that stadiums at past Euros still had a lot of residents of the host nation in them. Depends a bit on which country we are talking about of course, but in the UK for e.g. people just love their footie and are pretty much willing to watch any two teams duke it out, especially a knockout stage match.

BarneyG and LaParka710 repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    But even in the US, there is a strict capacity limit for sporting events (except Texas) and quarantine requirements for int'l travelers, so....

LaParka710 repped this.
  15. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Like most places Scotland has been starved of live football and I bet Croatia v Czechia will be sold out in seconds from locals, especially with the Wembley game being restricted to 3000 odd (aye right lol). Not sure about Croatians but we have a fair few Czechs settled here too.

16. detredwin

detredwin Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Right, but if a citizen of Italy is in NY and has a capacity-restricted ticket to the Yankees game for next week, no one will prevent him from entering the stadium. Forget about country entry requirements, quarantines, and so on. If that person is in NY and has a game ticket, he will be allowed in. That's how I would expect UEFA to operate. If an American is able to be in Holland or Scotland or Denmark in June, regardless of how it is accomplished, why would UEFA care that this person is an American? Ticket by the gate, vaxx or test result in hand, should be allowed in.

Wern repped this.
  17. BarneyG

BarneyG Member

None
    Mar 16, 2016
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Wembley as confirmed as 22,500 for final group game.

Despite it passing the UK government deadline for “normal” to resume.

Very bleak couple of days for Football hopefuls.

18. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I fully sympathise, but UEFA has three strings of tickets, members of national associations, corporate and hospitality, and general fans. With crowds down to 25% in most places who do you think will draw the short straw? They'll cancel and refund your tickets, they wouldn't let you turn up with a ticket and not let you in. I very much hope I'm wrong and you have a great time.

LaParka710 repped this.
  19. belfasteric

belfasteric Member+

Northern Ireland
    Apr 22, 2014
    Northern Ireland
    Club:
    Glentoran FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    Baku

Attached Files:

20. mkdaman1818

mkdaman1818 Member

Manchester United
    Canada
    Feb 16, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Interesting, so it’s saying that you have to be a citizen of a country that’s participating in the match (or a local)... that would not be good for someone like me who’s not a European citizen...

Here’s hoping they allow non-citizens by the knockout stage

21. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  22. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    22,500 fans at Wembley for each England match at Euro 2020
    The FA wants 45,000 fans at the national stadium for the semi-finals and final

Martyn Ziegler, Chief Sports Reporter
    Thursday April 08 2021, 5.00pm, The Times
    Wembley will be a quarter full for each England match at the tournament
    There will be 22,500 fans at Wembley for each of England’s Euro 2020 group matches, the FA has guaranteed Uefa.
    The number of spectators will be more than twice the number permitted under the government’s roadmap out of the Covid lockdown but the matches at Wembley Stadium will have special status as test events.
    The figure, 25 per cent of Wembley’s capacity, was confirmed to Uefa before a meeting of the 12 host cities today. The FA has not yet given its final plan for the Euro 2020 semi-finals and final at Wembley — Uefa has extended the deadline to maximise the attendance — but it is aiming for at least 50 per cent capacity, 45,000 fans, for those games.
    Under the roadmap, sports events can have 10,000 spectators from May 17, and restrictions will be eased still further after June 21. England’s matches in group D are against Croatia on June 13, Scotland on June 18 and the Czech Republic on June 22 — but even though the last group game is after the June 21 date the plan is still for 25 per cent capacity.
    The Scottish FA has confirmed to Uefa that it will have 25 per cent capacity for the four matches at Hampden Park, which is just under 13,000 seats.
    The meeting heard from several host venues, including England, that they intend for fans to take lateral flow tests the day before matches, or possibly to provide proof of vaccination.
    Uefa’s plan is to have a ticket-sales window for Scotland fans, who have not had a chance to buy any since the country qualified via the play-offs, via the Scottish FA in early May. There are likely to be 3,600 tickets reserved for Scottish fans for the England v Scotland group match on June 18, 16 per cent of the total capacity.
    A ballot will take place around the same time to decide which of the existing ticket holders for the matches will still be able to attend — those that miss out will receive full refunds.
    The meeting also heard plans for teams and officials to be exempt from any quarantine restrictions in force in any country if they stay in bubbles, eat only in the hotel and only use authorised transport.
    Uefa is expected to decide by April 19 if any of the 12 host cities will lose their games as a result of being unable to provide guarantees of fans attending. Dublin is the most at risk, with its matches likely to be shifted to England — possibly in the north of England rather than London — and Scotland.
    Bilbao’s games are also under threat due to demands being made by the local authority, but the Spanish FA has indicated it would seek to host those matches elsewhere in Spain.
    Rome and Munich have still also to provide central government guarantees over a minimum of 25 per cent capacity of the stadium but it is understood there is confidence inside Uefa that those will be secured.
    Plans for the 12 Euro 2020 host cities
    London
    22,500 fans (25 per cent capacity) at three group games at Wembley; FA aiming for 50 per cent at the other four games it is hosting (one round-of-16 match, two semi-finals and the final).
    Glasgow
    Hampden Park will have 12,750 fans, 25 per cent capacity, for the four matches it is hosting.
    Amsterdam
    At least 12,000 spectators and possibly more will be able to attend matches in the 54,000-seat Johan Cruyff Arena, which will stage three group games and one round-of-16 game.
    Copenhagen
    At least 11,000 will be allowed into the 38,000-capacity Parken Stadium, which is staging three group games and one round-of-16 game.
    Dublin
    The Irish government has refused to give any guarantees for fans, so its hosting of four matches at the Aviva Stadium is under threat.
    St Petersburg
    The 68,000-capacity Krestovsky Stadium in St Petersburg, which will host a quarter-final and three group games, will be at least 25 per cent full and is likely to be 50 per cent of capacity.
    Bilbao
    The Basque government’s demands over Covid rates may mean Bilbao’s San Mames stadium loses its four matches and they are staged elsewhere in Spain at 25 per cent capacity.
    Munich
    There has yet to be central government guarantees over fans for the three group games and a quarter-final at the 70,000-seat Allianz Arena but Uefa is confident the matches will go ahead there.
    Budapest
    Budapest’s 68,000-seat Puskas Arena is expected to confirm 25 per cent capacity for three group games and one round-of-16 game.
    Baku
    There has been no official announcement over fan numbers for the three group matches — two involving Wales — at the 69,000-seat Olympic Stadium but Uefa is understood to have received reassurances.
    Rome
    Is due to host three group games, including the opening match of the tournament, and a quarter-final at the 72,700-seat Olympic Stadium. The Italian government has still to confirm numbers but is expected to be around the 25 per cent mark.
    Bucharest
    Romania is planning for 13,000 fans at the National Arena, which seats 54,000, and is hosting three group games and one round-of-16 game.

mazinio, Real Mardin and BocaFan repped this.
  23. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I didn't read that at the time because Baku is not a place that matters to me for the Euros, but that appears to be a bad sign for any non-European person. Especially because I was assuming that Baku and St. Petersburg (maybe London too) would be the least restrictive of all venues.

mkdaman1818 repped this.
  24. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    Spiritually maybe, but when you factor in inflated ticket prices the OP was correct to raise the point that locals may not flock to all matches.

A number of matches at Euro 96 which did not involve England directly or indirectly had poor attendances:

Spain v Bulgaria 24006 at Elland Road (capacity 40000)

Romania v France 26323 at St James Park (capacity at the time 36000)

Bulgaria v Romania 19107 at St James Park (capacity at the time 36000)

Russia v Czech Republic 21128 at Anfield (capacity 42000)

Croatia v Portugal 20484 at the City Ground (capacity 30000)

Czech Republic v Portugal (Quarter Final) 28832 at Villa Park (capacity 40000)

Of course, this year could well be different in that the lack of live football for much of the past year could be a factor that drives up attendances and the stadium will only need to be 25% to 50% full to be at the new Covid Secure "capacity". Equally, the knowledge that you're risking exposing yourself to a deadly virus by going to a game could deter casual fans who otherwise may have gone to a match not involving England for a day out. We will see.