Euro 2020 - Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by noar1985, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I think if I lived in Europe, it would be an easier decision to me. I just don't know if Americans will still be pariahs (rightfully so because we absolutely suck at controlling the virus) by then in some countries. I believe all of my tickets are Level 1 and Level 2, so it's harder to comfortably keep than if I had all Level 3 tickets. If I had all Level 3, I would just roll with it. Cutting down to London and either Dublin or Copenhagen is something I am considering too because it is much more minimal travel than my original plan.

M, BocaFan, Ric_Braz and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Galatasaray & Nottingham Forest
    Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    Not sure if anyone else noticed the following clause form the refund policy but another one to be wary of:

"Postponement of the Match: For the purposes of this refund policy, a Match is “postponed” if the Match does not, for any reason, ‘kick-off’ on the originally scheduled date and is instead re-scheduled by UEFA to a later date.In the event of the postponement of the Match before entering the Stadium and in the event of the postponement of the Match before kick-off for any reason other than Force Majeure,the Ticket(s)will be valid for the rearranged playing of the Match.The Successful Applicant shall be entitled to a refund equal to the amount of the face value of the Ticket(s)if the Successful Applicant is unable to attend the rearranged playing of the Match.In the event of the postponement of the Match before kick-off for a reason of Force Majeure, the Ticket will be valid for the rearranged playing of the Match.The Successful Applicant will not be entitled to a refund of the Tickets if the Successful Applicant is unable to attend the rearranged playing of the Match."

Bearing in mind Force Majeure now includes pandemic as a reason, the way I read this is if your match is postponed because too many players tested positive for Covid-19 (which let's be honest, is something that does happen) and you can't make the re-arranged date, you lose your money.

3. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    #5553 Real Mardin, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    Some are praising UEFA for the way they've handled this, I'm really not so sure. Ticket holders are being put in a position where they have just over a week to decide to "stick or twist" but aren't being given enough information to make an informed decision.

UEFA themselves won't even know where the matches will take place until 5th March, yet we have to make plans by 26th January. My Wembley tickets could remain Wembley tickets, or they could become Munich tickets, or Paris tickets or even Moscow tickets. And if I can't or don't want to get to the new venue but UEFA allocate me a seat - tough luck old chap, you've just lost your money! We are not being treated fairly here.

As a law graduate I agree with those who've previously said that changing the terms and conditions unilaterally isn't lawful (this is one of the first things you learn on a law degree), but let's be honest, who is actually going to take on UEFA over this? Your legal fees and time off work etc would far outweigh the cost of any un-refunded tickets.

I agree with Harbs in that another factor to consider is will a reduced capacity Euros actually be any good? Chaps, these tickets don't cost pocket change, we've all paid top whack for the big match tournament atmosphere but it sounds like we're going to get a half to two thirds empty stadium and the inevitable loss of atmosphere that goes with it. Note UEFA aren't offering a 50% discount if the big match atmosphere is ruined by a half empty ground and an atmosphere that feels more like a pre-season friendly than an international finals tournament.

However, the real elephant in the room when it comes to making this decision in just over a week is that none of us really know whether we'll be vaccinated in time for the tournament. I appreciate people will have different views on this one, but in a World where I haven't seen my parents in nearly a year and work from home wherever it is possible for me to do so due to the fear of Covid-19 transmission, I am not going to take the risk of attending a football tournament unless fully immunised. Now according to the OMNI calculator, even if the UK knocks out two million vaccines a week with a vaccine uptake rate of only 52%, my second jab could be delivered as late as the 11th of July (the day of the final). If OMNI are correct in their forecast I'm not going to be protected in time to attend these Euros. But OMNI could be wrong and the UK government could exceed all expectations and deliver three million jabs a week. We won't really have an idea of how quickly vaccines are being delivered until around the time UEFA makes its decision on where the games will take place, which makes the position they've put us in so unfair.

Like La Parka, I will hold off making a firm decision until the end of next week just in case we get a firm commitment from the government about exceeding their current target of two million vaccines a week, but in reality I know I'm just delaying an inevitable application for a full refund.

LaParka710 repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I think by then all the players will have had a chance to get the vaccine.

5. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    It's not impossible that Scotland could play at R16 Budapest if they get their act together, if so tickets will be like gold dust, I'm definitely holding on to mine. I also think that after the pensioners and vulnerable are vaccinated they might open up the private sector so you can queue jump if you need it for travel, hopefully not for a ridiculous amount.

6. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    If paid for privately maybe, but we don't know for certain that private vaccines will be available by then. As far as the UK teams are concerned, under current forecasts there is no way healthy football playing age people will be vaccinated by the NHS in time for the tournament. Besides, the Oxford vaccine only gives 70% protection even after the second dose, so it's quite conceivable that we'll get vaccinated people who still suffer from the virus.

7. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The Oxford vaccine has been calculated to have 70% Efficacy after one jab and up to 90% with the second.

8. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    They messed up their trials so nobody's sure, but the unambiguous recommendation is still 2 jags for protection to last. I'm hoping that Johnson and Johnson's one gets going soon in big quantities which could be one jag only.

9. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you have jags in Scotland?

10. Dave123007

Dave123007 Member

Juventus
    Portugal
    Aug 10, 2019
    It's likely they will postpone it one more time to 2022 if they have to make a decision on March.

11. Barney Rubble

Barney Rubble New Member

Scotland
    Dec 2, 2019
    Very much so - from the west end of Glasgow, Partick Thistle Football Club are known as The Jags.

Real Mardin repped this.
  12. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Certainly, I'm hoping to blag one on Tuesday when I wheel my mother in for hers (unlikely), and I drive a mint condition E-type (Nissan Note).

Real Mardin repped this.
  13. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Along with Caley and Buckie in my part of the world. We've got more than we know what to do with really.

14. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    I don't want to turn this thread into a row over the efficacy of different vaccines but the 90% claim regarding the Oxford vaccine has since been disputed by people who frankly know much more about the subject than me.

15. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I think UEFA handled it really well until this episode. Maybe it would be the same exact situation (individuals are not sure if they will be vaccinated and every venue will host) in March, but I don't like they are making us decide before they confirm all of the venues. If they confirm the venues on March 5th and make us decide two weeks afterwards, it will still be tough, but at least, we have as much clarity as possible.

Real Mardin repped this.
  16. steven191919

steven191919 Member

Arsenal
    Croatia
    Dec 11, 2017
    Definately agree that they could have given us more clarity etc before having us make a decision. I for one am keeping my tickets for the UK games. Im hoping the vaccinations (which seem to be going very well) make a huge impact, and that Boris wants to “showcase” the UK with everything thats happened with Brexit, and to take credit for saving the tournament. Wishful thinking? Perhaps but I will take the chance.

LaParka710 repped this.
  17. Real Mardin

Real Mardin Member

Turkey
    Aug 22, 2019
    I'm not all that re-assured myself. They've added pandemic to the definition of Force Majeure for a reason. Fair play, it sounds like if the tournament moves to Russia they'd refund my Wembley tickets but what if it moves to France (as is being speculated in some parts of the media)? You can get from London to Paris in just over two hours on the Eurostar so would UEFA deem that "reasonable travelling distance" and refuse me a refund?

Again, we're not being given enough facts to make an informed decision but are instead having to second guess future developments. Unsatisfactory.

I don't see why they can't commit to giving us a refund if the venue of our match changes or at least define what constitutes "reasonable travelling distance".

LaParka710 repped this.
  18. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    Not to mention, what happens if a new venue goes "the virus is still pretty bad in these countries, we don't want people coming in from them?" I highly doubt UEFA will refund in that situation either. It's not just the venues that UEFA has to provide further clarity on, it also has to provide some indication on how governments are going to do entry/exit. However, I don't see that coming in March.

I hate to say it, but I think I am talking myself into bailing on, at least, some of my tickets.

19. detredwin

detredwin Member

Oct 30, 2019
    With Trump finally reopening US to Europeans, I would think reciprocal move, with a 72hr test, is maybe 4-6 weeks away. So, at least that hurdle on complying with country entry requirements should be removed for those of us on our side of the ocean. Still, wonder if 48 hours between games in Amsterdam and Copenhagen would be logistically complicated under the covid shadow and whether it is prudent to just keep Amsterdam and return Copenhagen. Do most of you have games better spaced out or also jammed like this?

20. LaParka710

LaParka710 Member

Köln
    Ukraine
    Feb 20, 2020
    I don't know if I agree with that because case counts are so high. If the case counts here go down, then maybe Europeans will let Americans in. Granted, in theory, we have a better chance of cases going down going forward.

I have the 19th in Budapest, 21st in Amsterdam, 23rd in Dublin, 26th in London, and 28th in Copenhagen, so yeah, I'm cutting it close.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    The incoming Biden Administration has made it clear that that re-opening isn't going to happen.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...trictions-move-biden-quickly-rejects-n1254619

LaParka710 and BocaFan repped this.
  22. generals soccer

Feb 7, 2006
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be off here, but I think it is all down to getting some people to return their tickets. The likelihood is a reduced capacity Euro tournament so rather than having to forcefully remove tickets, get some folks to give them back now.

Charlie_USA, Ric_Braz and BocaFan repped this.
  23. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I agree with this, a pandemic was always part of Force Majeure, they're just trying to make it easier to cut the numbers down if they have to, by scaring people they might have to fly to Vladivostok.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Good point. This could be a calculated move from UEFA.

Could of course backfire. :laugh: I am thinking that the request for refunds will be weighted towards those matches where tickets were less in-demand in the first place. E.g. a lot of St. Petersburg tickets could be returned whereas the vast majority of people may hang on to their London semifinal tickets.

Charlie_USA repped this.