EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Costinha literally allowed Christeas to jump right in front of him on that goal.

He also had this gift for Owen against England:

Great player for Porto, not as a good for the Selecao.

2. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In regards to Euro 2008 against Germany, I see sorry ass Paulo Ferreira getting onwed on 2 of the Germany goals:

The same sorry ass Paulo Ferreira who was so bad against Greece in the first game at Euro 2004 that he got benched for Miguel and never saw a minute after that.

The Special One repped this.
  3. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Best chance for Portugal to win EURO was 2004 in their own backyard

4. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    paulo Ferreira sucked for the seleccao.
    I believe he played in the 2004 final, forced substitution after Miguel sustained injury.

5. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    yes, but in 2016 they took the chance when it presented itself after ended up
    On the theoretical easy side of the draw.

I tell the kids I coach life is often about taking chances when they present themselves.
    That’s why I rarely ever didn’t end up with the girl that I wanted, although I got burned by the last one with my divorce .

6. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Think about this...if Portugal had won back in 2004 and then beat France in 2016, they would have 2 Euro titles which means 2 stars on their jersey

7. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    we don’t have stars on our jersey. Teams only seem to put a star after a World Cup win.

8. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I think that Portuguese fans who voiced their worries over our defensive prospects were well off the mark.

In 2021, Eduardo Quaresma should start alongside Ruben dias. That would be an immense partnership.

9. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Euro 2021 XI

3-5-2

———————-Patricio—————-
    ————Dias—Pepe——Quaresma—
    R.Pereira——William——————Guerreiro
    ————Fernandes—B.Silva———-
    —————Felix——Cr7

Area 51 repped this.
  10. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    For EURO 2021 I would go with a 4-3-3

GK- Rui Patricio
    LB- Raphael Guerriero
    CB- Ruben Semedo
    CB- Ruben Dias
    RB- Joao Cancelo
    CDM- William Carvalho
    LCM- Bernardo Silva
    RCM- Bruno Fernandes
    LW- Joao Felix
    CF- Cristiano Ronaldo
    RW- Diogo Jota

11. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Jota has been extremely underwhelming this season, he needs to regain his form to show that last year wasn't a one off.

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'd actually be very interested to see that tested.

Neves is a natural in that role as well with 3 CB's. Danilo for steel if needed.

Eduardo Quaresma needs a lot more seasoning though...the postponment of the Euro could indeed be a blessing, Ricardo etc regain fitness and our younger players gain a year of experience. Trincao/Leao have an extra year to really establish themselves....

Only downside is that Pepe/Ronaldo will be a year older..and it's clear by watching his games at Porto that he's a shadow of the player he used to be.

13. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Ronaldo is 35 already and is only getting older...36 by the time EURO 21 starts and he will be 37 by the time Qatar starts. I can honestly see Ronaldo calling it an international career after EURO especially if Portugal doesn't win EURO again.

14. SCP21

SCP21 Member+

Jul 1, 2011
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I find your obsession with age really strange. If hes still performing, why does age matter?

15. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Why would ronaldo call it quits after Euro , when the World Cup is only one year afterwards ? Doesn’t make sense.

his last tournament will probably be Qatar.

16. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    eduardo Quaresma is really good. He reminds me in a lot of ways to Pepe in terms of speed and agility, but Ricardo Carvalho in terms of football IQ. Anyways join my zoom conference on Thursday (50$ admission fee , otherwise you will remain in the waiting room. PM me
    For details ). I will discuss him and some other youth on Sporting in-depth.

The above lineup is based heavily on Amorim’s tactics which I hold in high regard.

17. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you seem like you know what you are talking about. It’s a pity you don’t post more

18. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Do people actually pay for your zoom conferences? Have I missed something? What are your credentials?

19. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Are you new to the forum?
    I haven’t noticed your posts to be quite frank.

By way of introduction, I am 36 years old and live in Toronto, Canada. I was born in Northern Portugal (Vila Real area) but arrived with my parents in the early 1990s.

ive been back in Portugal many times. As a youth, I played as a midfielder. I turned down a scouting position with Vitoria Setubal in 2015 ad my ex wife didn’t want to move to Portugal.

when I was a youth player, I won an award for goal of the tournament. It was similar
    To the recent goncalo Guedes goal
    Against osasuna.

I am currently trying to get back into football and become a full time scout or coach.

I also coach some youth teams on the side and offer private lessons.

anyways feel free to PM me
    For more details if you are interested in my services .

20. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Portugal no doubt will have pressure put upon them given the last EURO tournament where they won it all and being the defending champions, even more pressure not just from the fans but even more pressure from the Portuguese media in Portugal. Yeah they won Nations League too but basically the Portuguese people will demand victory. Nothing less than the title or bust basically. So will Ronaldo and company rise to the occasion again?

21. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    it’d hard to say but I think the postponement will help many of the younger players.

22. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Yeah it will but the pressure is still there from the media nonetheless but if Portugal wins it again, this is just one more accolade to Ronaldo's resume. But I would say it puts him over Messi as far as being the GOAT.

23. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    In his defense, Ballack blatantly pushed him in Germany's 3rd goal. One of the many times we've been screwed over.

24. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    From posting and reading around the forum, it seems that people are writing us
    Off from future glory .

25. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I guess they are because well if you think about it Ronaldo is not getting any younger. He is 35. By EUROS he will be 36 years old which means he is more or less on his last legs. But even besides Ronaldo, Portugal still has a great team regardless with such names like Bruno Fernandes, Joao Felix, Semedo, Sanches, Bernardo Silva, etc but Ronaldo basically puts them over the hump but without him I don't know if Portugal can get it done.