Euro 2020: Italia - Galles

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by calabrese8, Jun 19, 2021.

1. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]

"il biscotto non ci piace"

We are not a team that is going to lose to drop into second for a "better draw". That is a small country mentality... we are Italia and teams should worry about avoiding us. We want the win and the record for unbeaten games consecutively.

Could see some squad rotation for this one... rumours are Belotti, Chiesa, Emerson and maybe Verratti to start.

Forza Italia!

Tifoso and Nabolidaboli repped this.
  2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A very tricky game, Wales is also in good form and confidence is high in their camp.

3. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I’m hearing Berna, Cristante, and Bastoni may start as well. I honestly think our B team should still beat Wales. I hope that Barella gets the day off. We don’t need him getting hurt tomorrow.

4. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    This is a tough game. Finishing second may actually lead to an easier road to the semis, although it is always hard to tell at this point. I'm of the mindset that you go out each game to win and get better. Sounds like there will be a lot of turnover in this game.

Part of me wants the same formation so they can keep up the cohesion and momentum, but realistically, this could be a long tournament. With lots of subs available, a deep confident bench could be the key to winning it all. The big pluses of turnover are:

1. Keeping players like Spinazzola and Barella fresh. Barella is running his tail off and letting Jorginho have time and space that he needs. He keeps that midfield together.

2. Getting Belotti and others out there to build their confidence is crucial too. If Immobile goes dry and we need punch off the bench, this is a good way to get it.

3. Getting all the players involved increases the team dynamic even more. Everyone playing for each other...no divas.

FORZA AZZURRI

Nek Sanalet and calabrese8 repped this.
  5. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Lineup is going to be:

-------Bernardeschi---Belotti---Chiesa
    -------Verratti ---- Jorg ------ Barella
    Emerson -- Bastoni -- Bonucci -- Toloi
    ----------------Donnarumma-------------

He's changed 7 players. That's a lot but it will be good to get Belotti, Chiesa, Bastoni, and Verratti playing time. I don't know why he loves Bernardeschi as much as he does. His form lately could cripple any squad. Let's hope he brings it today. Bernardeschi is a real enigma to me. At Fiorentina he was fantastic. But, at Juve, he's bulked up a lot and just seems really slow on the ball. Mancini does seem to like him though.

6. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Too much turnover, I fear Wales wins.

7. Nabolidaboli

Nabolidaboli Member

Sep 7, 2018
    pessina is starting over barella as well.

8. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I am happy to see Bastoni start and very interested to see how well he plays.

The defence is in need of rejuvination.

9. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Verratti in beast mode today. Don't ever doubt him again.

indestructible repped this.
  10. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Pretty impressive how they rarely miss a beat despite the changes. Mancini has done a brilliant job.

Nek Sanalet, calabrese8 and Nabolidaboli repped this.
  11. BOSNAINTER

BOSNAINTER Member

krajina
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Feb 17, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    who is the last that scored against italy dzeko right

12. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Everyone playing well. I think Berna actually had a better first half than Chiesa. Verratti looking good, Pessina will be a nice backup throughout this tournament. Three in the back not a bad idea when Bastoni and Toloi are in the squad. Obviously, 3 5 2 is something Mancini plans on using along with 4 3 3.

Stamos and calabrese8 repped this.
  13. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I believe it was van de beek

gumbacicc repped this.
  14. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Felt like a friendly but mission accomplished.

11 straight shutout wins… Italian record 30 game unbeaten streak and euro record first team to go 3-0 in group stage without conceding a goal. On we go…

indestructible repped this.
  15. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Reserve force went out and put in a solid performance. I missed most of the first half because I was on grill duty (Father’s Day)

Bernadeschi and Belotti for all their faults, you could have seen they left their souls on the field.

AVANTI !!!

16. Non Venite in Puglia

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 26, 2021
    Although Verratti had a solid performance today, I don’t see how he gets in the starting 11 for the Round of 16 match. It would be a decision that is completely contrary to the way Mancini has managed this side to date. No individual is greater than the team’s objective and the most in form players have always been given precedence. Locatelli must start, but it is a welcomed site to see Verratti fit and available.

I think Bastoni also had a tremendous game today. Utterly neutralized Bale. Acerbi is a good defender, but he has had moments that are suspect in each of his appearances. If Chiellini isn’t good to go for the Round of 16 tie, then I think Basto should get the nod over Acerbi.

Stamos and calabrese8 repped this.
  17. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Another strong win. 1-0 didn't reflect the performance. Could have easily been 2 or 3 goal win. Although to be fair, Acerbi gifted Ramsey a nice chance (great job by Donnarumma of making himself big.) We also lost a lot of headers for some reason.

Wales fullbacks are going to see Chiesa in their sleep. He was torching them with his pace. I thought the midfield was very strong with Verratti playing well (despite almost giving me a heart attack with his usual dribbling in dangerous areas near the box). Bastoni was really good on Bale...maybe a touch too aggressive but he seemed to get away with it.

3 shutout wins, rested, no yellow card trouble, and playing well. What more could we ask for??

Nabolidaboli and calabrese8 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #18 falvo, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Matteo Pessina certainly made the rounds playing for 7 clubs before his 24h Birthday.

[​IMG]
    He is kind of a fairy tale story as he almost didn't make the team but because of Stefano Sensi injury, Pessina was called up to the tournament in his place.

I'm happy he got the game and group winning goal!

[​IMG]

19. Stamos

Stamos Member

Apr 6, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It'll be interesting to see how Mancini handles this (very welcoming) dilemma between Verratti and Locatelli. After today's game, I'd disagree with anyone who thinks Verratti isn't in form or that he doesn't add immense value to the midfield. It was intriguing to see how involved Verratti was today, as opposed to Jorginho - who usually carries the bulk of the possession. You throw in Barella, with his pace and skill on the ball, and you have a world class midfield.

If Locatelli starts next game, I got no complaints. But with his type of game, he might be better suited coming off the bench attacking tired defenders, similar to Chiesa.

Nabolidaboli and Nek Sanalet repped this.
  20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Le pagelle dell'Italia - Verratti e Jorginho, c'è di meglio nel ...

[​IMG]

Euro 2020 Italia-Galles 1-0, pagelle: Verratti brilla, Bale ...

[​IMG]

21. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #21 Nek Sanalet, Jun 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Verratti had a great game. It's a wonderful problem for Italy to have. Four top shelf midfielders with a very solid Pessina as a fifth option (I said on this board many times that he deserved to be on the squad over Sensi). And Chiesa had a phenomenal second half where he absolutely terrorized the Welsh defense. Berna had a good game. Bastoni was immense. Hard to really criticize anyone. The team is firing on all cylinders.

On another note, which I see many people mention here and elsewhere....who cares if we get Belgium in the quarters. They should be shaking in their boots having to play us. We are the nation with 4 WC and 1 Euro. They have never won anything....that weighs heavy in big moments.

Nabolidaboli and calabrese8 repped this.
  22. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I am enjoying the new way of Italian Soccer its nice to see the change in strategy and attitude, Hopefully this will lead to more victories in big games and a new approach inn how Serie A teams and the league run things

23. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quarter finals is winner R16 matchday 2 vs. winner of matchday4. Assuming Italy win their R16, and Belgium win their. So it will be a Italy vs. Belgium in the QuarterF.

Bring it on, Belgium here we come.!

totti fan repped this.
  24. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    I have to give you guys your props and your respect for not only dominating Group A but winning all 3 of your group games decisively. Italy you guys just might be favorites going into the Round of 16. You guys play attractive football under Mancini and to think under Ventura you guys looked horrible. It is a good thing to see when Italy are not only always present at major tournaments but dominant.

25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Mancini knows his best 11. Locatelli is the first choice until he isn’t. I expect the line-up vs. Ukraine/ Austria to be the same that played the Swiss. Verratti can either sub Locatelli or Jorginho (god forbid) since Locatelli can be both a mezzala or play the pivot. Jorginho is our most important player so let’s hope he never goes down with an injury.

Like I said in an earlier post, Chiesa will be at his most useful when we run into defences that play higher. He has the speed to punish

calabrese8, gumbacicc and Ofori repped this.