Euro 2020 Group F (France, Germany, Hungary, Portugal)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by nirvaanfc, Jun 6, 2021.

?

Who finishes top two from Group F?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2021.
  1. France

79.4%
  2. Germany

38.2%
  3. Hungary

8.8%
  4. Portugal

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    France vs Portugal will play draw, I am pretty sure. France generally does that. If France loses they risk playing Belgium first round, and if Portugal loses they risk going out. They also play last so I just cannot see them not playing a draw and ending 0-0.

2. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Difference between finishing first and second in Group F:

1st place path: R16: In Bucharest against 3rd place team (probably Switzerland or Austria), then if win that QFs in St. Petersburg, probably against Czechs or Swedes.

2nd place path: R16: In London against D1 (England most likely), then if win that QFs in Rome, probably against Spain.

1st place is obviously the better path. England at home would be a challenge, England's rather tepid performance so far notwithstanding. And Spain in the QFs would be no picnic either.

SF19 and JoseEmidio repped this.
  3. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That was the Low plan all the time, line Germany up as Atalanta to maximize the impact of Robin Gosens. Genius - hands up for anyone that took my fantasy sleeper advice ;)

https://footballfutbolcalciosoccer.blogspot.com/2021/06/euro-2020-preview-group-f-france.html

"Fantasy Football Sleeper Option: Robin Gosens (DEF - 5m)"

Great to have so much excitement on the last day in this group. Literally everything to play for and for everyone. Kudos to the Hungarians who fought bravely in both home games.

4. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    France struggle often against smaller teams but they usually do the job against big teams. It's a psychological thing.

5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They rely on countering so it is harder from them versus teams that sit.

SF19 repped this.
  6. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Give Me A Break.

LOw may ass is a genius, EVERY ONE who knows Portuguese football knew Semedo was a Major Liability, German did what German has Always done against Portugal, one way or another: Focus in on a Defect and Exploit, Exploit Exploit, 2014 Pepe acting like he would get away with half the shit he got away with for Real Madrid, this time Semedo, PLUS, Santos told Bernardo not to cover Semedo all the time, a Scolari move Worthy of ridicule. Germany are Good, they are almost always a bet for the semi-finals. But, after the France game many discarded them, after Portugal, many have forgot their defects. Also Italy and German depending where they finish, no more Home games until the QF, after that none at all.

Germany Will not win Euro 2020.

artielange84 repped this.
  7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #157 Cris 09, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Most people actually discarded Germany BEFORE the France game. As a matter of fact, many German fans were predicting a "3-and-Out". I predicted a 2-1 win for France but Germany held on. I think after that match many saw Germany being able to hold on a bit longer. France was unlucky with some of their counters and Germany unlucky with Hummel's own goal, but that's part of it. Let's see how they do vs Hungary.

My predictions for the winners; Italy. They are the team to beat with a solid defense.

Also, I agree...no, Loew is NO genius. He is a liability...especially insisting with this 3 in the back formation. If Flick was German manager, I would say Germany had a great chance of winning the tourney.

BocaFan repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I agree that this Germany team doesn't look like title-winning material. [But in 2022, look out! ]

Portugal just made it too easy for Germany. Seemed like they got beat on the same or similar play like 5 times à la Saudi Arabia in 2002. lol

Kamtedrejt and Cris 09 repped this.
  9. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Please Portugal, can you not draw The Netherlands in the next round? Thanks from the entire Dutch population.

10. Laaura

Laaura Member+

Apr 2, 2009
    Manchester
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I feel for you, cause we feel the same way about Germany haha.

BocaFan and DutchFanatic repped this.
  11. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So I've heard. We've exorcized our demons when it comes to Germany, Spain, Italy, etc.

But Portugal; we still need to get our revenge for Euro 2004.
    and WC2006.
    and Euro 2012.
    and Nations League 2019...

But we did beat you guys 3-0 in a friendly. That counts for something right?

... right?

12. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ 2002 World Cup qualification too.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #163 BocaFan, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    Really shaping up to be Holland V Portugal/France on Sunday.

Still a chance for Holland v Scotland though, which would be a tad better.

14. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    It will be Holland vs Croatia

15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Look where do you take this confidence in Croatia? Croatia are nowadays a sad cry of their 2018 version. Personally as a supporter of them I know that Croatia won't go through.

BocaFan repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, Scotland have looked better than them so far. Just a question if Scotland expended too much energy and emotion into the England match and whether they can get back to that level for today's match against a non-rival.

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There are 3 realistic scenarios left. Two of them have Holland playing the 3rd place team in group F. The other has them playing a team from group D.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Do you guys know when Germany and Hungary last met in a competitive game? Yep

19. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    They are still decent. Croatia are not at all the 2018 team but they still have some good players. I mean they really did play well against England (England were just better), and should've beat the Czechs if not for a very controversial penalty. They will narrowly beat Scotland.

20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I expect third place of A C D F go through which leaves them playing Group D and that's likely Croatia.

21. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    A C D F would put Belgium against 3rd of group of death. Belgium would be in that scenario at disadvantage having to play a powerhouse probably in every round.

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Yeah I think it will be Belgium vs Portugal which will be really fun to watch!

23. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    wrong thread

BocaFan repped this.
  24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It would also increase the stakes in the Portugal - France match. Not that F2 has a cake walk, but Belgium then Italy is pretty brutal. And the match against Belgium will be on 2 days less rest than what Belgium are getting after playing a mediocre Finnish side.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  25. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it makes you feel better, you have the U.S. on your side, having kicked them out of both the 2002 and 2014 World Cups