Euro 2020 Final : Portugal vs ?

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Joe Martelo, Jul 12, 2020.

1. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    He’s posted a few times in the Barcelona forum and I’m subscribed to the Portugal National Team thread. I’m well aware of his intentions.

2. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Brought over from the Portugal forum...

Argentina won the 1995 edition when the tournament was played within the borders of Qatar itself.
    So now what?
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Portugal came 3rd , we have a good track record in that part of the world.

4. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    #29 Joe Martelo, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Also, if you are a Barcelona fan you should keep tabs on Francisco Trincao. By 2022 he will most likely eclipse Messi as Barcelona’s top player. The kid is a true gem.

In 2022 I would like to see this lineup :

———————- Patricio——————
    ————Quaresma——Dias————
    ————————William—————-
    Semedo————————————-Guerreiro
    ————————-Neves———————
    B.Silva—————Fernandes————-Trincao
    ——————Cr7———-Felix/LEÃO

5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    When they qualify. Which they didn't in 2003.

Only if Messi is no longer with the club.
    And even then I'm not sure he'll even be level with current Barca youth prospects Ansu Fati and Riqui Puig.
    Barca fans are weary of Portuguese youngsters given the recent experiences of Andre Gomes and Semedo.

6. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I can assure you that as a semi professional scout and a youth coach I believe Trincao has more potential than Fati or Puig.

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not only weary of Portuguese players, but am very weary of players integrating successfully in the Barca system that didn't come through La Masia. Way more have failed than succeeded regardless how highly touted they were before joining Barca.

For that reason, the potential of Puig is well above Trincao's IMO. But anyway, its not a competition. So many holes to plug in the current squad that there is plenty of room and opportunity for both to play and succeed.

8. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    So players have to fit the la masia system? Yet another reason why ronaldo is superior to Messi as he can play and adapt to any system and style.

this is a quality I value, with the youths I coach I encourage adaptability and have had players switch and retrain in multiple positions. I was coaching a midfielder who started out as a goalkeeper a few years ago! When he joined me I saw his potential as a holding midfielder and last year he obtained a scholarship to play soccer in the United States with Michigan state. He may become a MLS player one day. I have tipped off some contacts from the Canadian soccer association to keep tabs on him, he also wishes to play for Trinidad and Tobago potentially as that is where his parents are from. I hope that Canada picks him.

9. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    As someone who claims to be a know-it-all on youth talent you sure spend a lot of time in an armchair fan's message board.

And yet many players who have played with and against both rate Messi over Cristiano, including his former teammates Scholes and Rooney among others.

Zacarías and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :eek:

What does any of that have to do with my point that good players often struggle to adapt to Barca's style?

11. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The response from the self-described semi-pro scout / youth coach speaks volumes. :rolleyes:.

12. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Gomes was a bust forsure, but from what I've seen and read, Semedo has been pretty solid. Don't get me wrong, I've probably only watched maybe a total of 8 or 9 matches in which he started, and the rest of what I'm basing it on is match reports. He seems to generally get a ranking of around 7. So again, nothing world class, but solid.

unclesox repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The guy is a wum, I wouldn’t even bother wasting any time with him tbh.

unclesox repped this.
  14. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    You wish you had credentials like me. Now that I am divorced I am free to pursue my dreams and am working on trying to become a full time professional scout or coach with a club in Portugal. I have many contacts who respect me.

15. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    So what if Portugal made the Nations League Final? It doesn't mean much especially going into EURO 2021 anyway and I wouldn't bet on Portugal winning it back to back. Portugal at best get to Final 4 and lose in the Semi Final. That is my honest prediction for Portugal.

Now as far as who makes the Final realistically, it will be Belgium vs Germany

16. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The draw was quite kind to Holland though. There's a decent chance that they avoid those 5 top favorites and also the second-tier of favorites (Spain, Italy, Croatia) until the semis.

18. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Last chance for Croatia with this entire generation. No more EURO for Modric, Rakitic, Lovren for sure. Few of them actually play Brozovic, Rebic.
    Italy might surprise, if they use catenaccio.
    Ntherlands has problems in the end, semi-finals, final. For sure, they often play great. Haven't seen the possible crossings in the knock-out stage. We also wait the rest of participants. I doubt that they can do much. There are complicated teams like Scotland, both Irish teams, maybe Bulgaria, Norway.
    IT seems that there are 10 teams in this EURO with interesting football. Others are mostly defensive.

19. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I do not see the reason why Portugal's chances should be considered any higher than some of the other heavyweight national teams.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    England. The amount of attacking options

Gazza66 repped this.
  21. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Croatia smashed tonight lucky not to be 7 or 8 down

22. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I think Portugal never had such a good and deep squad since 2006. And they know also how to use the pieces. It's a great squad but also a great team.
    Group F of EURO 2020 will be fun.

NewLaw83 and johnboys repped this.
  23. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal