Pre-match: (EURO 2016 - Semi Final!) Germany vs France 7.7.2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jul 3, 2016.

?

If germany = X then X =

1. Champions

84.6%
  2. 4th title

76.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My post-tournament thoughts.

Things that worked well:
    • Our CB pairing of Boateng-Hummels were fantastic when they were on the field together. So much skill and technique in one pairing it's unreal. And at Bayern they will only get even more opportunity to develop chemistry and understanding, much to my Dortmund fan chagrin. As well, Neuer is still the best in the world; it was unfortunate that he was unable to show that in the France 2-0, but I still believe it to be true.
    • Our ability to retain possession only grows with every tournament, and our players are extraordinarily adept at winning 50-50 balls and passing out of tough situations to reset the attack. This is important not only for the attack, but also for the defence, because the less our opponent has the ball the less opportunity they have to put our defence under pressure. Kroos also grew into his role as the primary playmaker and was awesome the whole tournament, except for the Italy game, where Eder did fantastic pressing on him to lessen his influence.
    • I know Kimmich-Hector as a FB pairing were underwhelming, but I think the FB problem was at least partially patched through their work. Gomez also had a very good tournament, and hopefully he continues until the WC2018 in Russia.
    Things that didn't work:
    • I was a big proponent of the false 9 proposition, but it's clearly just not working. It needs to be scrapped entirely; from Mueller to Goetze. Loew needs to bring two real 9s to every tournament from now on.
    • Let's be honest; Mueller was the flop of the tournament. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he needs to figure it out and bring it come 2018.
    • Our team needs to work on keeping their hands to themselves in the penalty box; whatever the f*ck kind of drills are needed, they have to happen.
    Players that could've helped and Loew should consider bringing them next time:
    • Schmelzer: It's time for Marcel and Loew to bury whatever hatchet they need to bury. Hector wavered between solid and terrible; he needs competition and Schmelzer should be that competition.
    • Stindl: @Dage has a point; Stindl is a neat player that deserves a call-up. At least see whether he can handle the 9 spot.
    • Dahoud: Dahoud would've been a excellent replacement for Khedira; Can was average in his tournament debut. Dahoud is a really exciting prospect with a great skilllset, he should get a call.
    • Weiser: I would die if Loew consistently played a RB that actually played RB for once. Kimmich did a nice patch job, but against the best competition, he got exposed a bit.

2. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And incorporate Weigl asap!!!

Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  3. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    only when he joins bayern next year or so

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He's an 1860 boy so....

5. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    thats cool.. we will just erase that part of his life and say that he is a Munich product. after all there is only one team in munich that actually matters

Zullu repped this.
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well, we have beaten ourselfs last night. Clearly. France was good on the counter, but that´s about it. Aside from the once again atrocious penalty call, we had this game in our hands from minute 10 upwards. It was clear that we somehow suffered up front from having three holding mids in our 11, but we controlled the midfield all the time.

I am far from being a Loew fan, but I´d say the only thing you can criticize in his tactics was to bring on Sané this late. I have a feeling that he might have done miracles to our offense if he came on a little earlier.

What´s the aftermath of this tourny: Matthaus Sammer sumed it up quite well in my opinion. Overall, our tournament was good. Not really good, but good. I would guess Schweini will probably retire from the Nati now, so should Poldi (but never will, as we all know). Let the no. 9 project die once and for all, and establish some of the new gunz in the course of the next 2 years.

Reflecting the EC as a whole: I have never, ever, had this less of interest in an Euro as this year. I dunno why this really is, if it was because of the extended stack of teams or anything else. I just couldn´t care less about this tournament somehow. Looking forward to some club footbal again now.

7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1860 has to come forward and save Germany yet again

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Id say in Löw's current system the wingbacks are the mos important position and for that we only fielded average there. Normally youd put your best players there but they are just not there. So why this system in the first place?

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How do you figure that the wingbacks are the most important in Loew's system? If anything Loew is guilty of undervaluing the FB position; just fielding a rotating bunch of randos there.

10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The whole system of possession is directed at the moment when a diagonal ball is played towards one of the fullbacks who is then ought to play the ball into the box. Comparable to Tuchels or Peps systems. Kimmich is a greenhorn and not a winger and Hector is 26 and hasnt played a single minute of CL. It is not just the striker problem. It is a striker and fullbacks problem and we all know about it

Obsidian repped this.
  11. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BTW. thanx @Lahmfan for your thread opener abilities. Think you know that it's been the last time

12. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Strange how we thought that we have a scoring machine but a questionable defense right before the first match at the tourney.

13. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    That mood seemed to be shared in Hamburg

Nothing like the excitement and young people on the streets compared to 2014 or 2012

I wonder if it is World Cup hangover?

Minttunator repped this.
  14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #664 Dage, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Manuel Neuer: "Wenn man das umgekehrt sehen würde", setzte er an, "wir hätten hier ein Heimspiel gehabt und wären so aufgetreten wie Frankreich, dann hätte glaub ich unser Stadion gepfiffen."

I try my best..

Manuel Neuer: "If the Situation had been vice versa and we had had a home match and would've played like France, all of the audience would've whistled."

Minttunator and timh19 repped this.
  15. biohazard

biohazard Member

Sep 2, 2013
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still can't understand all this drama about us playing badly. Did we really suck? Not total mayhem, but a lot of other forum members complaining about us being poor.
    Can't understand that, IMO we played very well, France( intentionally or not doesn't matter) looked like any other random European side vs us and we were hit by injuries big time. I am not very egoistic and do not like to say out bold statements, but i think without Piggy's ********up, we win the game easy. Add our injured players(and Hummels) and this wouldn't even be a contest.
    I really really liked how we played and i can't express how proud i am of this team. Kimmich isn't RB, but he did alright, his offensive part was a bit weak, but overall i think solid. Weiser would've been a better option on attack i think. Hector basically the same, just left foot and nothing more. Pretty 1 dimensional player and what bothered me yesterday was that he didn't even try to take on Sagna or put in crosses.. Just those passes with Özil and Kroos.
    Oh and those diagonal balls from Boateng and Kroos were just sublime. Had we had some threat from wings, we would've murdered them. Bellarabi in the left and Sane on the right would've been fatal.
    Just my thoughts after waking up. Still feeling a bit sad about the result, but i am still ********ing happy about how we played and this team is ********ing amazing.
    Curious to see what's gonna happen with Kimmich at Bayern and hope Hector improves his offense and Weiser or someone else develops into a great RB.
    Oh and if someone didn't get it, i ********ing love this team to death <3.

16. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yeah - I don't think the team played badly

One dumb mistake cost the game basically.

I think you can say that the team is not quite good enough offensively to retrieve a game like this - certainly not as good as the 2014 team.

You wonder what a fit Reus might have achieved - as he brings shot volume which was completely missing

Minttunator, MatthausSammer and Obsidian repped this.
  17. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    bayern fault

18. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My conclusion is it was fatal for low only taking one out and out forward, clearly last night Germany were lacking a quality center forward, they had France on toast, come next world cup qualifying matches Germany need to bring fresh personnel in to freshen things up and replace the injury prone
    Schweinsteiger is done
    Khedira is injury prone
    Gotze needs to be dropped
    Reus is injury prone
    Podolski out
    Shurlle out
    Gomez ?
    Germany need to replace these guys and make sure they use no injury prone players for the world cup qualifiers

Minttunator repped this.
  19. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    TEAM FOR 2018.....
    NEUER Should still be good
    Defenders:
    Kimmich Hector, Boa Hummels Badstuber Rudiger , Mustafi, DURm etc...
    Midfield.
    Weigl, Kroos, Gundogan, Kramer, CAN
    Attacking players
    Muller, Draxler, Sane, Oezil, Reus and hopefully some others

Minttunator repped this.
  20. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
    Hope you don't get your hopes too high for Badstuber, just saying. Try Tah or Süle instead.

Minttunator and Lahmfan repped this.
  21. albert_mk87

albert_mk87 Member+

Aug 27, 2008
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    dont know why Low started playing more defensive formations in this euro. Ok vs Italy i understand but vs France instead of playing our game 2 midfielder Ozil infront of them and two wingers we decide to go with 3 midfielders one of them being Schweini and another one being Can who probably never played as a midfielder for germany. So we end up having Ozil infront of them roaming to the right sometimes and Muller who was very bad the entire euro plus without much support from the wings this year he and Lewandowski havent done sh it.

We won the WC playing like that and suddenly Low decides to go ultra defensive and having the possesion but creating zero chances like watching Bayern under Pep in the CL semis.

Schweini and Poldi should just retire from the NT maybe even Low if he continues to play the same players over and over again instead of preparing younger players in the qualifications and then give them a chance in the tournament.

Players like Tah,Kimmich,Weigl,Sane,Brandt, should get more games from now on. We need FB too , Kimmich is ok vs weaker teams but he is not a RB vs good wingers and Hector is just a average FB going forward and back.

Minttunator repped this.
  22. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Mustafi was the reason germany lost. His situation vs pogda was the worst challenge i ever seen. He was more responsible for the goal then neuer or kimmich.

23. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    TBH I didn't expect a lot out of this team going in..

Transition period, key players injured, terrible form the last 2 years, unfit players.

We managed to do well despite some flaws on our team.

But the fact that THIS team managed to grind it out until the semis is a good sign.

I honestly wasn't as excited for this tournament then usual, I think the format change really killed it for me. It's like I knew none of the matches had any real ramifications until the KO round.

This game itself it seems like it just wasn't our day, neither team played great and a mistake or 2 cost the entire game and tournament.

Germany have to have their players healthy for the next one and solve the striker situation ASAP. They also need to have the FB situation fixed as well.

Now on to the club season, I won't bother watching the final..

Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  24. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Euro 2016 - the hand at the balls of Euros
    [​IMG]

BorisG, Lahmfan, Minttunator and 2 others repped this.
  25. Berlin1971

Berlin1971 Member

Jun 22, 2006
    I was nervous about this match for several reasons and in the end Germany just couldn't overcome several obstacles:

-Injuries to Reus, Khedira, Gomez and Boateng in-game; Hummels suspended

-Lack of a clinical striker

-The physical and emotional toll of beating Italy after 120 minutes and an epic penalty shootout; while France breezed past a weaker Iceland team.

-France playing at home

-The array of talent that Dechamps has at his disposal is impressive. There is a star player at almost every position. When you can bring in a stalwart defensive mid with a lead like Kante for Payet, and then Gicnac for Giroud, and Cabaye for Griezemann - they have very few weaknesses to exploit. And as a Spurs fan I know Lloris' capabilities - he showed off most them last night.

It was a testament to Germany's quality that they were able to own possession and even dominate at times - especially in the first half. A penalty awarded just before halftime was very fortunate for France, and Griezemann's second was a bit of luck as he struck it straight at the center of goal and the ball found it's way through Neuer's legs.

As the above poster said, it wasn't their day.

Minttunator repped this.