Euro 2016 Referee Assignments & Discussion

Discussion in 'Euro 2016: Refereeing' started by London_ref, Mar 1, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuipers for France-Iceland. Mazic as 4O.

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So Clattenburg out of contention for Final unless Collina is willing to wait for semis to finish and wait for Wales to lose to Portugal.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Clattenburg gets the non-Wales semi. Big game, likely. And ensures he isn't in conflict.

Eriksson for Wales-Portugal.

Then either Rizzoli, Kassai or Kuipers for the final. If Italy loses, it is easy. If they don't, whoever does better this weekend has the inside track.

Or... Eriksson is simply being held for the Final. That would be unprecedented. Which, of course, would fit in with what Collina has done recently.

AremRed repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So Rizzoli on the Final? Clattenburg on Germany/France? Eriksson on Wales/Portugal? Mazic as 4th on the Final?

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or swap Rizzoli and Eriksson. Your option and that option are the two most logical. But recent history does show there could be other avenues that Collina could pursue. I think the only two people who have to work again are Eriksson and Clattenburg. The third referee is probably Rizzoli, but I wouldn't set it in stone.

Also don't think Mazic has to be on the final. But also no reason he wouldn't be. He seemed to help Brych with a caution so might get rewarded for that.

6. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    With the way Collina has assigned the Champions League it wouldn't shock me if Eriksson got the Final, but it would go against every "assigning practice/tradition" for about the past 10 years at Euros and World Cups. Usually you do at least one knockout game and then the Final. Here, Eriksson would get the Final without doing a knockout game.

If Eriksson gets the Final, that means Collina either penciled him in before the tournament or decided that he was gonna get it after the group stages. Which I just find odd considering he gave Clattenburg the CL Final after a CL semi and Cakir did two CL semifinals.

It's not that far back, but since Euro 2008, the Final referee has done at least one knockout match. Rosetti did a quarterfinal and then the Final. Proenca did a quarterfinal and then Final. That was with a smaller format and less games.

Euro 2004 and Euro 2000 were different as the Merk and Frisk only did group stage matches, but that kind of made sense as they wanted to spread the games out. Only 7 knockout matches, so it kind of wouldn't be fair to have one guy do two out of the 7. Then again, Rosetti and Proenca did do two out of the 7.

Here there are 15 knockout matches and I would find it weird for Eriksson to not get at least one game prior to the Final.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't disagree. Just saying it's possible and the only other logical option if you assume Eriksson has to work and Clattenburg will work again (which seems to be the two assumptions that everyone is making).

Also possible is Clattenburg getting two games if Wales loses and he performs in the semis. That would be just like the UCL this year, as you referenced. In that case, we only have two referees left.

The final still could simply be open though. If it's Eriksson and Clattenburg for the semis, the final might just go to whomever ends up with the best overall scores among Kuipers, Rizzoli, Kassai, Mazic and Skomina. I think it's fair to cross Skomina off the list at this point. But we haven't seen Kuipers again and I honestly couldn't tell you who scored best among the other three right now. I don't think it's safe to presume that Collina and UEFA see Rizzoli and his team as head and shoulders above the rest.

8. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    #158 NW Referee, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    EDIT: This announcement which is from the UEFA website appears to be wrong and that Eriksson is the Referee for this match. Not sure how you could screw up an announcement like this.

6 July: Portugal v Wales
    Referee: Felix Brych (GER)

Brych oversaw the 2014 UEFA Europa League final between Sevilla and Benfica. Among his six UEFA Champions League assignments this term were Barcelona-Atlético Madrid, Chelsea-Paris and Juventus-Manchester City.

Assistant referees: Mark Borsch (GER) , Stefan Lupp (GER)
    Additional assistant referees: Bastian Dankert (GER) , Marco Fritz (GER)
    Fourth official: Milorad Mažić (SRB)
    Reserve official: Milovan Ristić (SRB)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro/news/newsid=2372154.html

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #159 MassachusettsRef, Jul 4, 2016
    What is your source? I have the following but don't see UEFA confirmation on these or yours.

Eriksson for Wales-Portugal. Marciniak as 4O.

Rizzoli for France-Germany. Skomina as 4O.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite interesting. A few reporters and other prominent referee websites announced Eriksson for this and Rizzoli for the other match within the last twenty minutes. Wonder how that bad information got out.

Brych getting another match surprises me for a number of reasons. But all along we've said to expect the unexpected.

NW Referee repped this.
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the matchcentre section on the UEFA site shows Eriksson. Someone has made a mistake because at this very moment the UEFA site shows both Brych and Eriksson reffing this match. Weird for such confusion to be so (relatively) public.

12. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Surprised me too. But as you say "expect the unexpected..."

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    #164 NW Referee, Jul 4, 2016
  15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also the other match has Rizzoli with Skomina, which would be fascinating if only for the implications on the Final.

Of course, we now seem to have two different sources officially from UEFA. So that's a problem.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starting to look like the Brych announcement is wrong.

NW Referee repped this.
  17. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    #167 NW Referee, Jul 4, 2016
  18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it is Eriksson and Rizzoli, what does that mean for the Final?

A - Clattenburg if Wales loses.
    B - Clattenburg if Wales wins because Collina doesn't care one bit about old rules.
    C - Kuipers if Wales win? He seemed to do the best overall of the QF referees. Mazic as the backup plan seems the other option but also a huge stretch given his UCL season.

19. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Or Brych could handle a Wales-France final. Having your country in the semis doesn't preclude that, as EURO 2012 shows. And it doesn't seem like he's out of contention yet, if the (wrong) announcement today is anything to go by :p

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The wrong announcement was actually a cut and paste of the Portugal-Poland announcement. I wouldn't read too much into it.

21. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
  22. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    I would agree with that. But you do expect them to get their announcements right!

23. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    #173 NW Referee, Jul 4, 2016
    I like either Clattenburg or Kuipers as a choice for the final depending upon the permutations.

I think Kuipers in particular has had good match control and rapport with the players and they seem to respond well to his style.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. The real question is whether or not option B is on the table. Call me crazy, but I think it could be. Not using Clattenburg after he was the star of the season and flawless this tournament makes no sense, when he could easily have done France v Germany. Collina might throw this rule out, too.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuipers has gone home according to his own federation. So that eliminates one option.

News report in German also saying Brych is home. But who knows how well sourced. Should get confirmation later today of who is remaining.

IASocFan and London_ref repped this.