Euro 2016 qualifying

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by Belgian guy, Feb 23, 2014.

1. avdmeers

avdmeers Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Belgium
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Thanks! Nice game, hopefully your team taught Wilmots a thing or do about our defense. Perhaps next time you will have Insigne, Verratti and who knows Balotelli and we will have our Mertens, Fellaini and Kompany and we'll beat you again.

As for analysis:
    - Cavanda was dreadful, Italy picked up on that quick. First goal was his fault, at this level you should not be ball watching. He did atone in the second half with his offensive capabilities. Hopefully it's just nerves, like Nainggolan back in his debut who turned out great.
    - Witsel should be banned from ever shooting at the goal. I'm trying to remember the last time he actually aimed the ball between the posts. Slow again, no decisive passes.
    - Still have trouble reaching our striker, but they did have their chances. Impressed by Batshuayi, I firmly believe we need a striker with an attitude like him.
    - Good game Carrasco, but the level of Cavanda brought down the right flank.
    - I'm getting more confident in our attack, in a year or so, Hazard + De Bruyne are going to be a force to be reckoned with.
    - That said, expected more of Hazard, sometimes just blatantly strolling around, only showcased his acceleration 1-2 times.
    - Alderweireld's aim ... *drool* omg what a player. So underrated.
    - Mignolet won us the game. What a luxury to have two great keepers.

- Vertonghen: 7
    - Lombaerts: 8
    - Alderweireld: 7
    - Cavanda: 4
    - Nainggolan: 7
    - Witsel: 6
    - De Bruyne: 9
    - Hazard: 6
    - Carrasco: 9 (that dribble for the 3-1...)
    - Lukaku: 7
    - Denayer: N/A
    - Mirrallas: N/A
    - Batshuayi: 7 (messed up his defensive duty during Italy corner saved by Mignolet)

2. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah your defense was really lucky at times because of how bad Eder and Pelle actually are.

These are the real teams best XI:

Belgium:

-Lukaku-
    -Hazard-De Bruyne-Mertens-
    -Witsel-Fellaini-
    -Alderweireld-Lombarts-Kompany-Vertogan-
    -Courtois-

Italy:

-Giovinco-Gabbiadini-
    -Insigne-Marchisio-Verratti-Berardi-
    -Darmian-Chiellini-Bonucci-Florenzi-
    -Buffon-

Its too early to predict who will win now because a lot could happen in terms of injuries and more, but I seriously have a strong feeling we will meet in the quarterfinals.

3. avdmeers

avdmeers Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Belgium
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Definitely not the best XI for Belgium, more like:
    -?-
    -Hazard-De Bruyne-Mertens-
    -Nainggolan-Fellaini-
    -Vertonghen-Vermaelen-Kompany-Alderweireld-
    -Courtois-​
    A fit Nainggolan will always play for Belgium, at the expense of Witsel (too slow) if needed. Striker is yet unknown, but Lukaku is not meant for tight spaces.

For Italy I'm still hoping Balotelli to sober up. When fit he's one of the best. Alas, that chance gets smaller every day.

4. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Balotelli is ok, but I have trouble trusting him up front that he will actually play as a team. Not really a team player honestly, and for that reason, he costed us many games. Giovinco and Gabbiadini are great 2 up front. Gabbs also has huge potential.

5. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013
    As much as I like Dries I think Ferrera Carrasco is a must going forward.

I also think Denayer needs to be in the lineup.

Like Batshuayi as the 9

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Carrasco was lucky with that goal. I think Mertens is better. Didn't he score quite a bit of your goals in your qualifying campaign? Keep in mind it was only a friendly and not all players perform their best during friendlies.

7. The411

The411 Member

Oct 12, 2013

You really need to lay off the homerism and I say that as someone with Italian roots.

Carrasco was hardly lucky he's immensely skilled and he's been a monster for Athletico this year.

This is the least talented Italian NT that I've seen for 30+ years.

It also happens that Belgium is as talented as they've ever been and there is a lot more to come.

8. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its true Belgium is quite talented. I didn't say Carrasco is always lucky, he was talking about that specific goal. And anyway no its not the least talented azzurri team in 30 years. 2010 W.C. was worse, and possibly this is more talented than Euro 2012. We were actually quite lucky in Euro 2012, it was a complete fluke. Anyway Mertens has been doing well for Napoli, and I think he scored quite a bit of the goals in your qualifying campaign.

9. avdmeers

avdmeers Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Belgium
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not skilled enough to make an impact on the right flank though. Only started pulling through when he switched to the left flank.