Euro 2012 Referees

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Englishref, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    So far seen confirmation that Bjorn Kuipers (NED) and Cunyet Cakir (TUR) are on the list.

Still awaiting news on the rest...

2. rodvand

rodvand Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Norway
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Referees
    Cüneyt Çakιr, Turkey
    Jonas Eriksson, Sweden
    Viktor Kassai, Hungary
    Bjorn Kuipers, Netherlands
    Stephane Lannoy, France
    Pedro Proenca, Portugal
    Nicola Rizzoli, Italy
    Damir Skomina, Slovenia
    Wolfgang Stark, Germany
    Craig Thomson, Scotland
    Carlos Velasco Carballo, Spain
    Howard Webb, England

Fourth officials
    Marcin Borski, Poland
    Tom Harald Hagen, Norway
    Pavel Kralovec, Czech Republic
    Viktor Shvetsov, Ukraine

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for Atkinson over Webb. No major surprises though.

4. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Hate to say I told you so, but I've always maintained that Webb would go. It wouldn't have made sense not to send England's top referee, especially given he is still on the list for WC 2014.

Good mix of those with championship experience and those at their first tournament. Does mean it's fairly clear who'll get the big games, with them shared almost certainly between Webb, Rizzoli, Stark and Kassai. The final is also between those four as well, with Webb and Rizzoli starting as favourites IMO. Having said that, as it showed at the last World Cup, one key match incident wrong, as it's the end of your tournament.

Good to see Thompson getting a chance as well. Never heard of most of the 4Os though, which is strange given who else they had to choose from.

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Webb beat Atkinson and Stark beat Brych. Those can't be major surprises, as they could have gone either way, though I admit that I had recently thought the English choice was trending toward Atkinson.

Big surprise is Moen. Not only does he lose to Eriksson (which seemed a 50/50 bet), but he loses out on a fourth official spot to his countrymen, Hagen. Moen is Elite; Hagen is not. Moen did the U17WC Final; Hagen just started doing UCL matches. Moen is also younger, though by admittedly just a year. Seems very strange to pick Hagen over Moen.

A Ukrainian and a Polish 4th are a bit of surprise because no one could come up with two names that deserved to go. The politics are understandable, but these guys have no experience and an injury with one of them coming on would be quite interesting.

Kralovec is really the only experienced 4th. There were plenty of other guys who just started getting UCL matches that could have joined him, but UEFA opted to go a different route.

The full quintets, as they will be, are supposed to be announced in the coming days. Will be interested to see if Atkinson and Brych are involved.

As for the Final... frankly, I don't think you can discount anyone, except maybe Lannoy and possibly Eriksson. Kuipers, in particular, has been given some big matches and has performed very well the last two seasons--I'd put him in the mix from the start. And I wouldn't put it past UEFA to push someone like Cakir if he has a good first round, either.

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Collina on the selections and tournament prep: http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/matchorganisation/refereeing/news/newsid=1737289.html

Very interesting point from him that 11 of 12 are EURO rookies. That is a lot of turnover. And only 4 (Webb, Lannoy, Kassai, Stark) have WC experience. So for 8 of these guys, it's their first tournament experience at the top-level.

Poland v Greece is the opener. Safe to say that Webb won't be on it, but any other predictions? I think Rizzoli is a good bet if he doesn't get the UCL Final. Kassai or Proenca as the other options in my book.

7. jayhonk

jayhonk Member+

Oct 9, 2007
    Borski, the Polish guy looks legit:
    http://www.worldreferee.com/site/match.php?refID=704#

The Ukranian, looks a bit under-experienced, internationally.
    http://www.worldreferee.com/site/copy.php?linkID=1579&linkType=referee&contextType=stats

Politically, there has to be some Ukrainian. I guess this guy is it.
    I presume the biggest game in the Ukranian Cup is Dynamo Kiev vs Shaktar Donetsk, and he did the most recent one. Here is a clip which shows a pretty calm demeanor (on an almost impossible to call play).

http://vslive.tv/highlights/ukrainiancup/dynamokiev_vs_shakhtardn_26_october_2011_289807/

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but when you compare it to guys throughout Europe who have done UCL matches and are above him on the depth chart, he looks like an amateur. You've got young guys like Kelly (IRL), Schorgenhofer (AUT), Studer (SUI), Rasmussen (DEN), etc. who make a lot more sense.

That is the big question. Politically, if it's necessary, it's understandable. But I sort of wonder if these political problems get created in people's minds. Does having a 4th official at their home tournament really fill a void that either the Polish or Ukrainian federation has? I honestly don't know, but I tend to think when you are hosting the second biggest soccer tournament in the world and your team is competing in it, then having a 4th official (one who is likely NEVER going anywhere in international soccer) do 2 or 3 games is irrelevant. Would be much smarter, in my opinion, to bring officials who just entered the UCL and are rising fast.

9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been reported that Moen has said none of the Elite Referees were considered for a 4th official spot. That actually makes sense. So for Moen it was #12 or nothing (and I have NO doubt that he was #13).

Still doesn't make a ton of sense to have Hagen go, in my opinion. If you're giving Poland and Ukraine a slot, you're left with two spaces. Kralovec is probably the best non-Elite referee available, so he makes sense. Is Hagen really the other one? And why send a guy who is #2 in his country, when there were other options? In the end, no big deal, but it is a weird choice and not sure what signal it sends.

10. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    No real surprises, apart from maybe Lannoy still getting a shot. He hasn't good performances at the big matches.

What this shows is how success at the top level of refereeing can be fleeting. Just two years ago everybody would have thought that Olegario Benquerenca and Undiano Mallenco would get big games for years now they are not even considered the best referee from their own country even though they both have done nothing really to lose the spot.

Until last year nobody really heard of Pedro Proenca and Velasco Carballo.

I don't think Webb will get the Final. No referee has ever done the World Cup Final and European Championship Final. I think Kassai will probably get it, all though you can't really rule out anyone. I think Rizzoli should get it as he is probably the best referee in Europe right now, but I don't think UEFA will allow an Italian to get the Final for two consecutive tournaments. Also, I think Rizzoli is almost a certain lock to get the UCL Final this year, barring an Italian team being there. An Italian hasn't refereed that match since the Valencia vs. Real Madrid Final in 2000.

11. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Interesting that the AARs come from the same country as the CR/AR. So do you bring extra AR or extra CR? They have to call fouls so CR makes sense to me.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The AARs have been referees throughout the experiment. And they've been from the same country as the referee and ARs, too. Nothing is changing.

Only question is whether the AARs are "lower-level" FIFAs who have done it a lot (think Marriner and Probert in England) or if they take the next-ranking referees (Atkinson and Clattenburg) who are considered better officials but who have only been behind the nets a couple times, if at all.

In the case of England, Dean might be a compromise candidate, likely with Clattenburg, if Atkinson doesn't go. But the larger issue is whether the referees that just missed out (Atkinson, Brych, Undiano Mallenco, etc.) would be put behind the nets since they are so experienced and useful, or if that would be seen as too embarrassing.

13. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    I reckon that having passed on the opportunity to give officials experience as 4Os, they'll use some of the younger, less experienced officials as AARs. I'd go with Clattenburg and Marriner as our AARs. From an English pov, it'll be interesting to see who Webb's ARs are, as Kirkup and Mullarked have been almost exclusively with Atkinson this season, while Child and Beck have been with Clatts. Possibly it'll be Cann and Collin.

As for the opener, I'd go with Stark.

14. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reports from England that the FA has confirmed it's full team to support Webb:

ARs: Kirkup and Mullarkey
    AARs: Clattenburg and Atkinson
    Reserve AR: Child

The public naming of a Reserve AR makes it seem that a full group of 6 will be sent from each country. If that's the case, the fourth official would be the true odd man out on each crew. It does make sense... you wouldn't force an active AR from another country to travel to a stadium just to sit there as a reserve.

Anyway, this clearly answers the question if the "next" referees will go and stand behind the goals--at least for England. I think, honestly, it's the right call. But that's going to be a lot of referee "firepower" on the field at once for some of these crews.

As an aside, interesting that Darren Cann has seemed to fall out of favor.

15. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or would the reserve AR just be called in if someone failed the fitness test..... Otherwise they would stay home

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought would happen and what has happened before. But in those situations, the reserve ARs weren't publicly announced. This seems to be announced as a team. But perhaps it's just the FA saying this is nominated and UEFA will then confirm only 5, rather than 6. Not sure why they'd put Child's name out there, though.

Sending the reserve AR to the tournament really does make sense, though. Logistically, in a tournament where you have dedicated fourth officials for about half the assignments, if you didn't bring dedicated reserve ARs it would mean for half the games you'd have a single AR breaking away from his team to go sit with a crew of 5 that he's not going to work with at all and hasn't before. In the disaster situation where a reserve AR is actually needed, wouldn't it be better for him to be familiar to the team members? And it just adds to the cohesiveness of the teams by not breaking them up at all.

Two other things just dawned on me...

1) I wonder what the procedures are going to be for replacing the CR. Let's take an theoretical example. Webb's team of six works a game with the Ukranian fourth official. Webb goes down injured. Does the Ukrainian step into the middle of that crew, or would Atkinson or Clattenburg take the whistle? The Ukranian, who has never worked even a UCL game and never worked with this crew? Or one of the English Elite Referees? One option makes a lot more sense than the other, of course.

2) Will they make the CRs, like Webb and Stark and Rizzoli, serve as 4th officials on their off-days? Or will they give Atkinson, Clattenburg and the other Elite- or Premier-level AARs the chance to serve in that role? Again, one makes way more sense than the other.

17. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As for #2...no idea.

For #1, pending IFAB approval, the Sr. AAR will take over instead of the 4th. I can't remember where I read that, but it was somewere reliable.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good, though not sure why that would take IFAB approval. Competition authorities and federations are free to dictate who takes over. In fact, when you think about it, the IFAB doesn't even distinguish among personnel insofar as who serves in what role; they just define the roles. Registration and categorization is on FIFA and the federations on down.

19. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Not quite sure about that:

Pg 26:

pg 55:

Having the Sr. AAR take over isn't one of the options in the guidelines. Decision 2 would not seem to permit the competition authority to deviate from the directives about 40 or Sr AR taking over.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point and find. My mind was thinking that since competition authorities were free to decide between the fourth and SAR, they were free to add the SAAR into the mix. Had totally forgotten that such power was spelled out in the Laws by the IFAB, so now I see why DudsBro was right. Thanks.

21. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    And here are all the teams:

Referee: Cuneyt Cakir (TUR, photo)
    Assistant Referee 1: Bahattin Duran (TUR)
    Assistant Referee 2: Tarik Ongun (TUR)
    Additional AR 1: Huseyin Gocek (TUR)
    Additional AR 2: Bulent Yildirim (TUR)

Referee: Jonas Eriksson (SWE)
    Assistant Referee 1: Stefan Wittberg (SWE)
    Assistant Referee 2: Fredrik Nilsson (SWE)
    Additional AR 1: Markus Strombergsson (SWE)
    Additional AR 2: Stefan Johannesson (SWE)

Referee: Viktor Kassai (HUN)
    Assistant Referee 1: Gabor Eros (HUN)
    Assistant Referee 2: Gyorgy Ring (HUN)
    Additional AR 1: Istvan Vad (HUN)
    Additional AR 2: Mihaly Fabian (HUN)

Referee: Bjorn Kuipers (NED)
    Assistant Referee 1: Sander van Roekel (NED)
    Assistant Referee 2: Erwin Zeinstra (NED)
    Additional AR 1: Pol van Boekel (NED)
    Additional AR 2: Richard Liesveld (NED)

Referee: Stephane Lannoy (FRA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Eric Dansault (FRA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Frederic Cano (FRA)
    Additional AR 1: Fredy Fautrel (FRA)
    Additional AR 2: Ruddy Buquet (FRA)

Referee: Pedro Proença (POR)
    Assistant Referee 1: Bertino Miranda (POR)
    Assistant Referee 2: Tiago Trigo (POR)
    Additional AR 1: Manuel De Sousa (POR)
    Additional AR 2: Duarte Gomes (POR)

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 1: Renato Faverani (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 2: Andrea Stefani (ITA)
    Additional AR 1: Gianluca Rocchi (ITA)
    Additional AR 2: Paolo Tagliavento (ITA)

Referee: Damir Skomina (SVN)
    Assistant Referee 1: Primoz Arhar (SVN)
    Assistant Referee 2: Matej Zunic (SVN)
    Additional AR 1: Matej Jug (SVN)
    Additional AR 2: Slavko Vincic (SVN)

Referee: Wolfgang Stark (GER)
    Assistant Referee 1: Jan-Hendrik Salver (GER)
    Assistant Referee 2: Mike Pickel (GER)
    Additional AR 1: Florian Meyer (GER)
    Additional AR 2: Deniz Aytekin (GER)

Referee: Craig Thomson (SCO)
    Assistant Referee 1: Alasdair Ross (SCO)
    Assistant Referee 2: Derek Rose (SCO)
    Additional AR 1: William Collum (SCO)
    Additional AR 2: Euan Norris (SCO)

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (ESP)
    Assistant Referee 1: Roberto Alonso Fernandez (ESP)
    Assistant Referee 2: Juan Yuste Jimenez (ESP)
    Additional AR 1: David Fernandez Borbalan (ESP)
    Additional AR 2: Carlos Clos Gomez (ESP)

Referee: Howard Webb (ENG)
    Assistant Referee 1: Michael Mullarkey (ENG)
    Assistant Referee 2: Peter Kirkup (ENG)
    Additional AR 1: Martin Atkinson (ENG)
    Additional AR 2: Mark Clattenburg (ENG)

Fourth Officials
    Marcin Borski (POL)
    Tom Harald Hagen (NOR)
    Pavel Kralovec (CZE)
    Viktor Shvetsov (UKR)

From 30 April to 3 May 2012, Euro 2012 referees and assistant referees will take part in a preparatory workshop in Warsaw. The referee quintets will train together in their team base camp. They will also undergo fitness tests and review the application of the technical instructions they have received.

The lack of Steve Child suggests to me, as I suspected, that he's a reserve in the sense that if either Kirkup or Mullarkey get injured/fail the fitness test, he'll replace them.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I guess Child must be a reserve who is only there for a failure of a fitness test. Still seems strange that the FA would announce him then. And the "reserve AR" position at the matches is going to be a weird assignment now--at least when one of the dedicated fourth officials is used.

So some different approaches, for sure, with these selections/nominations.

England and Italy, straight-out, go for their highest ranked referees. All three referees are Elite referees in those quintets.

Slovenia, Sweden, Hungary and Scotland appear to go the same route, though their AARs are a lot less well-known than Atkinson, Tagliavento, etc.

Spain and Portugal go a similar route, each taking one other relatively top-tier referee as an AAR, but they leave home their elder, Elite referee (Undiano Mallenco and Benquerenca) who have each had their time in the sun and were passed over for the tournament.

France and Netherlands take an entirely different approach and both put very inexperienced officials--internationally--at the AAR position when they each had other officials who whistle UCL and EL matches (Blom, Nijhuis, Chapron, Duhamel, Gautier and Turpin). Turkey seems to be a little bit like this, but to be fair, their other referees available aren't that experienced in their own right.

Germany is its own case. The other top referees that could have gone, Brych and Grafe, were passed over. Apparently there is speculation that Brych will go to the Olympics and they didn't want to waste an AAR assignment on him here. Meyer makes sense, as an Elite referee who is pushing the retirement age. But I have no idea who Aytekin is and why he'd leapfrog a lot of other more experienced officials.

Overall, England and Italy quite clearly put the strongest crews forward, at least on paper.

23. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good find.

Now that the "standby ARs" are on an official document, it does make me wonder again if they are standing by at the tournament or this just means they are standing by through the next two months as the potential replacement.

The use of designated reserve ARs is new, but sensible (and it seems to indicate the standby ARs might not travel to the tournament). I get why they chose a Polish and Ukrainian, but I have no idea how they went about picking the other two. With everyone's future tied to the trios (or quintets) they are in, I wonder how much good it does a Slovakian or Irish AR to attend this tournament by themselves.

25. DudsBro

DudsBro Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England