Pre-match: (EURO 2012 - Quarter Final) Germany vs. Greece 06.22.2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I have to agree, his inbox link up was great at times with his surrounding players..

It's great that we have such a talented and deep bench that we can argue about these things...
    Every country in the world would give their left nut to have the problem we have ;)

2. FCB_KVB

FCB_KVB Member+

Apr 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I was skeptical of so many changes to a winning team. But I have to say Loew had it all figured out. Reus showed excellent movement and energy, although he did miss 3 glorious chances. Klose linked up well and Schurrle had a few good cracks on goal. All in all it was a good performance. Khedira was undoubtedly the Man of the Match. He's been the unsung hero in the last 4 games.

But with such an offensive line up, Germany got caught on the break, something that they can't afford against more attacking opposition. Boateng needs some a winger who tracks back and helps him out, whereas Lahm can totally hold his own. For the next match I'd like to see

Neur
    Boateng-Hummels-Badstuber-Lahm
    Khedira-Schweinsteiger/ Kroos
    Muller-Ozil-Reus
    Klose/Gomez

Schweinsteiger had a rare poor game, most of his passes were misplaced and he was off the pace almost the entire match. Maybe Kroos should start.

3. SLC25

SLC25 Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Jordan
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Shweini was very bad today, not sure if its the ankle injury he picked up against Denmark or another thing, but I hope returns to form before the semi final. Sloppy passes like that can hurt us against Italy/England.

Didn't Like Shurrle today, too many shots and lost the ball quite easily, the first Greek goal was off a lost ball from him.

Also Klose didn't have a great game either I prefer Mario he is linking up just as good but his scoring touch is better at the moment.

Hoping to see Mueller, Rues, Ozil and Mario in the semi

4. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No one would put bender in replace of boetang??

I thought bender looked better going forward then boetang, with less brain farts..

5. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    The way Reus created Oezil's chance in the 22nd minute was Messi-esque stuff. For me, he is the real German Messi(not Goetze or Marin). His style(speed,dribbling,movement,vision,combination play and finishing) is the closest to Messi from all the top players these days. He looks dangerous every time he touches the ball. He is so direct. No tippy tappy stuff..... just gets down to business. Football is about goals not possession.
    As I said a few days ago, I expected him to become one of the players of tournament like Oezil and Mueller two years ago and was very disappointed that Loew didnt give him a chance in the first 3 games. Now he showed what he is all about. Hopefully he starts against Italy and scores the winner and then the same against Portugal in the final.

6. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I don't think he is better going forward, simply because he has far less experience in that regard. I do think Boateng gave a world class performance against both holland and portugal, so I would start with him.

7. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I am fairly surprised Reus started at all, I wonder how Podolski is feeling atm. We played much better today than any other game in my opinion, and not just because of Oezil but our wingers were just all over the place. Reus definitely needs to start the next game, what a crazy ass finish for the fourth goal.

I am just surprised that Podolski didn't start, I thought after his 44th goal Loew would have made the case for him again. Hope he doesn't though.

8. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    No, its just that he had a near perfect display against those two teams, and was tested on numerous occasions - its almost impossible to replicate that performance against a mediocre team like greece. Hummels is still my defender of the tournament, along with the indomitable Gerard Pique.

9. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

10. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Good Game from the boys last night. They wasted lots of chances again and the combinations didn´t click for a long time, since they haven´t played in this formation before. BUT, we were the far better team and I had no doubt in the whole game that we´re gonna bring it home. It was just a matter of time and how much goals we get to score. The 1-1 was a bad mistake forward (misplaced passes were a huge problem last night IMO) and a huge mistake by Jerome, who didn´t do shit to cover up Samaras. Nevertheless, great display of what is possible. Still lots of work to do for opponents like Italy or England though.

Negative points:
    - the way we played seems arrogant for lots of parts of the game and ended with loads of totally dump misplaced passes. Unacceptable.
    - Schürrle wasn´t all that good last night. Plenty of mistakes and plenty of lost balls...not that much better then Poldi, but certainly faster and more dangerous
    - very few to see from Mario Götze, I´d like to see him with more playing minutes

Positves:
    - Özil, Özil, Özil
    - Reus looked great for most part
    - Hummels still the best CB of the EURO till now

11. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The thing is this is not Germany's B-team (i.e. weaker team) this is Germany's starting eleven against a team like Greece. Against Italy/England we will most likely see a different starting eleven, because we can't play the same way against them as we did against Greece.

Equilibrium repped this.
  12. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I wish there was. Those are good games to watch and allow reserves to play. You get a medal and can end a tournament on a positive note.

13. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Congrats for advancing;) We fought hard but were simply outclassed

MicFW, Obsidian, Lahmfan and 5 others repped this.
  14. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The Russian and Polish teams look truly dumb right now.

15. Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I would bring Bender back in for Boateng 100%
    Reus should definitely start in place of Podolski 110%
    Never liked Schuerrle, Mueller should return - but Goetze could start because Mueller is a great sub to bring on, doubt it will happen though
    If things keep improving i think it barely matters who plays between Klose and Gomez - both have benefits
    Of the players that havent been on yet i want to see Guendogan the most

Neuer
    Bender Hummels Badstuber Lahm
    Khedira Schweini (Guendogan)
    Mueller (Goetze) Oezil Reus
    Gomez (Klose)

16. StrangerThan

StrangerThan Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Park the bus they said. Everything will be fine they said :D
    [​IMG]

On a serious note, I'm not worried about two conceded goals (PK was rather harsh - kinda charity penalty - 'cause Boa usually does a safe job blocking shots with his back or stomach or ass in both NT and Bayern. For the first one Samaras did tug Boa's shirt to make it past him into the box i.e. fouled him though linesman didn't see that). You could see our approach was total attack with both fullbacks going full forward so we only had 2 CBs at the back. Sometimes even CBs went all attacking... The only thing I would improve rn is our finishing. Fooking hell, it was frustrating before El Capitan's goal. I have to say all our goals were totally amazing.

P.S. And Jogi, take a bow.

17. bayern is god

bayern is god Member+

May 26, 2007
    india
    I would be Mad if Marco Reus doesnt start against Italy/England.

Just watched the Replay all over again and the Kid was Stellar.

His Off the Ball Movement was Top Class and his link up play with Ozil was Telepathic.

Cant wait to see Dortmund(with Reus,Gotze and Lewa) tear it up in the CL next season.

In Hindsight,Madrid's moves for Ozil and Khedira has worked out really well for the Mannschaft.They look hungry and have the Cutting edge they lacked in the WC and look like Champion players.Winning La Liga was definitely a huge upside for them and it shows in the Swagger they bring to the middle of the Park.Respect.

My Team for the Next Match:

...................Neuer.....................
    Boa.....Hum.......Bads.....Lahm
    ...........Khedira.....Kroos............
    Muller..........Ozil................Reus
    ...................Klose........................

18. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yeah, we aren't really technical nor quick thats why we play like that. We play to our strengths, namely tough defence, dead ball situations, clever counters, deadly finishing

19. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Santos really blew it with the goalkeepers. He didn't call up Kapinos, Karnezis both young and talented, nor Chiotis(old but in-form). Sifakis is good but he lacks match practice. He went instead with both old and average Chalkias and when it was evident he was simply not up to the job he had to throw Sifakis into the deep.

20. Matakos

Matakos Member+

May 18, 2009
    Macedonia, Greece
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    They are technical and quick but nothing really beyond that. They lack character

bayern15 repped this.
  21. Kais3r

Kais3r Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think someone was asking about Ozil's pass stats on here, so here is a pic (from another forum BTW):

[​IMG]

FourFourTwo have an app (powered by Opta) where you can see all the stats for each player in the Euros: http://fourfourtwo.com/statszone/

Unfortunately i don' t have an iphone :( but if one of you guys download it please can post up Khedira's stats?

Also Schweini's please. I want to see his failed pass stats :p

bayern15 repped this.
  22. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well to be fair Schweini is quite aggressive and defends as well. Ok this tournament he hasn't been as much but with Bayern he is, I feel injuries are holding him back at this moment unfortunately.

I do think people who call Khedira the best may be overrating him quite a bit, but he's been playing well. I was thinking maybe Kroos would be good but the way he is playing at times is impressive. His passing at times is really silly, but he is making it up in other areas. Anyways curious to see how he does vs Italy/Eng, anyone can look great vs a crap Greece team. But nonetheless, Khedira looks a better player than 2010. Ozil has been worse than 2010 atm, not sure if he is going to turn it into the big matches but shining vs Greece and playing a petulant little whiny bitch vs the other big teams isn't impressive to me. Pig also seems poor other than vs Netherlands. Imo both Ozil and Schweini need to raise their level.

Also Reus for Podolski please. :)

23. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely. It's not a coincidence that our two best performers are from Madrid. The quality they gained is irreplaceable.

Also for those with the FourFourTwo app, look at Oezil's passes to Klose and Gomez when they are on the pitch. It's not a surprise but just re-enforces what has been said here before.

24. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lahm has easily been Germany's player. I don't see how Ozil could be one of the best tbh he's been way off form other than Greece while on Khedira surprisingly I concur.

25. Leinad

Leinad Member+

Jun 13, 2006
    Düsseldorf
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    1:0 - all Lahm's work.
    2:1 - cross Boateng, goal Khedira.

Our offense still lacks effectivity except Gomez. Klose wasted quite a few good chances and wasn't really sharp.
    He only ran 8,2km, that's just bad and a lot less than Gomez against Portugal for which he was criticised.
    Klose had also the fewest touches on the ball (just 35, even Gomez got 8 in his 10 minutes) and the worst passing accuracy of all players. He also had a lot of unusual technical problems and missplaced some easy passes.
    That was at best an average performance by Klose and he is obviously not in the shape we would need him to be for opponents like Italy, Spain etc.
    What the game really showed is that Özil needs support from the midfield and Reus provided this. Those two had a good understanding, switched positions often and had some good combinations between them.
    That was for me the main difference to the other games besides the obviously lower quality of the opponent.