Euro 2012 Quarter-final: England v Italy 24/06/2012, 19:45, Olympic Stadium, Kiev, Ukraine [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... but without the midfield mobility :D

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have your read "Fever Pitch"? At the club level we always think "this is our year" and at the national team level we say "we know our team is shit, but you never know we might pull it off" :D

3. lost

lost Member

May 24, 2006
    England
    anyone know if italy are looking at going back to the 3-5-2 from the first games or sticking with the 4-4-2 from the ireland match? i know chielini is out but i don't think this is the end of the world for them, he is a thug. they will be strong on the wings defensively, with the legs to exploit spaces that open up, but not the talent to create space, like playing with 2 milners. they, like us, bring on the late 'attacker', for us its been walcott, for them giovinco.

one of the biggest fears is pirlo. his link up play in mf, plus his shots , dead balls and crosses. he must be worth a goal or two against our static lines. plus if we defend like we did v sweden he will create a few. i would like to see him get a few kicks if it is possible. can we not create a situation where the ball is played high towards him allowing us to go into a 50/50 challenge or 2 with him. one decent kick and his game is over.

balotelli and casano i am happy to be facing. yes, they can go crazy and score something special, but generally they are poor mans zlatans, and we have a very real chance of keeping both silent for the night.

as karloski said on the other thread, a win v a 'big' side would be the most welcome of refreshments to come out of a tournament for a long time, and its not like getting one over on this italy team is asking for the earth. as i have said elswhere, we have 1 defeat in 15, and that was under mong pearce, italy has 3 defeats in their last 6, including 3-0 at home to russia, 1 or 2 nil at home to usa, and a lone win v already defeated ireland (popn 4.4m).

finally, i am once again over the fking moon that we have roy in the job. he has managed in italy at the top level, he knows their methods and approach, he also has ample, and i mean ample, of previous when it comes to successfully planning and executing the demise of a variety of italies biggest sides over his 40 year managerial career. none of this a guarantee of progression but i am hopefull.

4. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was reading on another forum a comment from an italian fan who thinks england are the favorites in this game. Apparently italy do well against technical teams but become unstuck against physical/athletic teams. Even compared it to how arsenal fare against stoke :D

5. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's perfectly obvious that BOTH sides are trying to portray themselves as the underdog to a quite ludicrous extent. To me that says that we both think the other side can do them some damage, (and vice versa), and are unsure what will happen. Frankly that seems a fair assessment.

If our defence and keeper are solid, the midfield tick over without making too many mistakes and Rooney, Young and Welbeck play like they can play we'll be difficult to handle but you can say the same for Italy as well.

In all honesty I think we've all accepted that we've done well as far as it's gone. I don't think ANY England supporter was expecting too much so, as long as we give a reasonable account of ourselves in the Italy game, even if we lose, that's fair enough.

What we don't want to see is another anaemic showing like we had against, say, Algeria in 2010 because that was plain embarrassing. If we get beaten by an Italian team that plays well on the day, so be it.

Prenn and kopiteinkc repped this.
  6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I remember a line from the 1966 movie "Goal" "And the Italians went home to tomatoes"

This is a winable match for us, probably the best chance out of the bunch.
    But I won't be too disappointed if we lose, (You know slash my wrists) unless we make complete turds of ourselves and lose badly. (then I might)

7. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    He looks like the guy who comes runninng into the office and says "There's trubble at th'mill!

8. Trequartista10

Apr 10, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flaming for this? No, when Juve play Arsenal in the CL, you may see me again, and then, I may flame. That's where the heart really is.

9. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm on the pessimistic side because the only Italy game I've seen was Spain, and I was very impressed with the way they matched an elite team. I guess Del Bosque's no striker experiment made the job easier. Also with a tight tactical game likely, I think they have more individuals capable of a bit of magic that could decide the game. If that is what decides it though, it's a roll of the dice and could just as easily come from say Walcott as from Cassano.

10. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I hear Hodgson is basing his plans around stopping Pirlo .

usscouse repped this.
  11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    yeah unchanged team and looking to tuck in the wingers and squeeze the middle. Will be a very congested game.

12. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I disagree with an unchanged team !
    I would have brought in Carroll and Walcott in exchange for Young and Welbeck .

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Battering ram up top y'mean? Yeah, that could work. We probably need to unsettle their back line, particularly if they go with a back 3.

Walcott I'm not sure about, he's sometimes so ineffective it's like being down to 10 men but, then again, so has Young in the past few matches, less so the last one tbf where he did some decent work. Rooney should have taken that early chance he was presented with.

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    My team would be

4-3-3

------------Hart

Johnson---Terry---Lescott---Cole

--milner--parker----gerrard

---Walcott--Carroll--Rooney

Keep it compact in midfield to cover Pirlo and go with 3 up front .

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It's argued by the pundits that Rooney is "rusty" but my concern is he's just carrying on in the same "stage fright" way he did in South Africa. Young has run out of credit (Milner didn't have any to start with) and the failure on the flanks only confirms my view Lennon should have gone.

16. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure Rooney had 'stage fright'; he's just a streaky player.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Then how do we explain how the man with the "sublime touch" starts to resemble Norman Wisdom on a bad day, rather than our only "world class player" as the pundits call him?

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Walcott is a sub. Just doesn't have the game for a start. Rooney, well he's had a match and has been training since the start, so he has to start. Carroll, dunno, might be the man to upset the Ities. If he doesn't start and we're not scoring...then get him on sooner that later.

19. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    but he's like that in the league for long stretches

20. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Are yellow cards cancelled a the end of the group stage? Because Gerrard is on a yellow at the moment and if we win then we can't afford to lose him

21. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nope, after the quarters.

22. BillThomas

BillThomas New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Can't see our boys doing much in this game. We don't offer much compared to Germany, Italy and Spain. Probably even worse than Portugal!

23. bigbravejohnterry

bigbravejohnterry New Member

Jun 23, 2012
    I see us winning 2-0.

24. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ah damn, that really is a stupid rule.

I don't know why, but for some reason I am actually feeling confident about this quarter final.. usually I feel optimistic, but I think if we can play well and Rooney can step up a bit, then we have a good chance.

25. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, it's very good. It means a booking in the semi will not rule you out of the final.