Euro 2012 Quarter-final: England v Italy 24/06/2012, 19:45, Olympic Stadium, Kiev, Ukraine [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jun 20, 2012.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    There were diagonal balls available. The full backs, Milner, Young and even one of the forwards came out/up for them.

Ashley Young had a poor tournament because he always struggles for consistency at this level. Portugal's midfield is light years better technically than any three CM pairing in England's squad.

Well take your idea of playing Parker and Milner with Gerrard more advanced. This is an extra body but these two players are awful technically and can't play long passes or short passes. Putting them in front of a defence that struggles to bring the ball out isn't going to solve the issues of creativity.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Well it's only the third time we've ever won two games at a Euros and only the second time we've ended up unbeaten. Not too bad considering it was one of our worst squads ever.

sendorange repped this.
  3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    nice, imo just like people on the arsenal forum, u can't just judge teams from 1 or 2 games and evaluate their whole history, same as people who read club forums and use the fans knowledge as their own.....watching a team regularly through different eras is the only way u can evaluate....pseudo knowledge is what i call it!

ox can defend his position as well as young at least and he doesn';t lose posession or is barged off the ball as easily

young is shite for utd, i know a season ticket holder who hates him too....useless player

4. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think having a couple of central defenders who are good on the ball would help, Lescott makes John Terry look like Xavi. He looks scared when he's on the ball at the back.

3 midfielders is a must, even if they don't have the skill of the other countries, we still need three. I can't see how Barry can argue that having 3 midfielders is not a good idea because they don't have the talent of the Portugal midfield 3. Does this mean we should have 2 midfielders and look even weaker in the middle of the park?

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    what england need is wilshere to be fit or to have a deep lying midfielder who will come and get the ball off the cbs and start moves a la pirlo as well as competent passing central midfielders....with good service welbeck will be dynamite, if carrick had not been an arrogant twat, we may have looked better

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I didn't say we shouldn't have played three midfielders. Why is it always one way or the other with people? I'm only saying that Hodgson had little time and stuck to what he knew and we ended up penalty kicks away from a semi-final. If we had played more attacking and fell apart it would have been more a case of moaning about player quality rather than formation though I guess.

I don't agree with the idea that playing 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 automatically makes us much better though from an attacking standpoint or defensively. If we had the players available it would but just chucking deadwood into a hole doesn't solve things.

Prenn repped this.
  7. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Well I think having Rooney and Welbeck/Carroll stuck up the field doing nothing was a waste of time. It would have been better to have any midfielder in there even if they aren't the best. They couldn't do any less than Rooney and Welbeck were doing. They could have told Phil Jones to man mark Pirlo and that would have been a hell of a lot more useful than Rooney and Welbeck sat there watching the midfield run round in circles.

'Hodgson had little time and stuck to what he knew'

I would say that if Hodgson only knows bunker 4-4-2 long ball then the FA made a huge mistake in hiring him. I don't know why we keep getting managers who insist on playing and failing using this system, it's clear as day that we always get over run in midfield yet manager after manager comes in and slaps the old 4-4-2 formation on the board in the dressing room.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Welbeck did very well covering the room around Pirlo though. It was only when he left that Pirlo really dominated.

9. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He didn't do that well, Pirlo still had a huge amount of time on the ball when Welbeck was on the pitch, once Carroll came on the situation just got worse. I don't know how Welbeck who is suppose to be the furthest man forward can man mark Pirlo out of the game better than a Phil Jones could have done.
    That's my point, I'm not blaming Welbeck but Hodgson shouldn't be asking a forward to do the job of a midfielder, Welbeck should have been up front on his own with the sole job of getting the ball and putting it in the net, not being asked to pick up Pirlo.

10. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I get the impression he's a bit of a flat track-bully/ small-timer. Lot's of talent and if he's the most gifted player on the pitch he will shine, with and against good players he hides.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Pirlo plays deep. Just infront of the defence so there's nothing wrong with a forward covering him.

Certain people want an extra man to be more defensive and man mark and the others want someone extra to help us create more chances. Neither is focused on the lack of quality which is the main issue.

No playmaker and no genuine DM.

12. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a question for you Barry. Do you think Norway, Belgium, Sweden and Ukraine had a better 11 players on the pitch than England when we played them?

13. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pirlo can have the ball around his own 18 yard box, he isn't doing any damage there, I was more worried when he was in England's half and no one was within 20 yards of him.
    Rooney and Carroll both in Italy's half stood there watching.
    I don't care what player has the ball around their own 18 yard box, I am worried when opposition's best player has the ball in our half and no one is anywhere near him.
    Pirlo may come and get the ball off the central defenders but he doesn't stay there, he works his way up the field so he can play a killer ball

Phil Jones should have been on with the instructions that the moment Pirlo crosses the half way line you stick to him like a fly on sh!t

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Belgium did I think. This is going over old ground anyway. Already said the style was set up to be hard to beat with the short amount of time we had.

Prenn and The Potter repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Because Hodgson made attacking substitutions that made it harder for us to defend. What did you want Jones on so that we could stop Pirlo and get to penalties?

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If thats so, hopefully Hodgson has now realised it is massively flawed system in a tournament environment. We shouldn't be being dominated by second and third tier teams which includes players from lower\lesser leagues. It's unacceptable.

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    u don't want pirlo man marked? then the team has to defend him and put pressure on him and recover in zones....we were awful, at least danny tried to limit pirlos time on the ball

if anything, take rooney off for carrol!

18. Salazar

Salazar Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Preston, England
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wanted Jones on so Italy wouldn't have the ball for the whole of the second half. I wanted him on to break up their play and not make it so easy for them to keep possession and finally I wanted him on to stop their best player from doing any damage.
    Swapping Carroll for Welbeck didn't exactly give us more of the ball or create more chances in front of goal, you need to get hold of the ball in the first place for that to happen. It's not rocket science.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    What third tier team? I can't recall many host nations going out easily and we only needed a draw. This idea that we've got to always dominate lesser teams because Milner and Parker play in a better league is utterly mental.

20. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I never said dominate.....Being on par with the likes of Norway\Sweden when passing in midfield is not a lot to ask for. The passing, movement, positioning throughout all 6 games has been atrocious...I don't know why you're defending it.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yawn. This happens all the time on here after a tournament. If you don't moan continuously about how wrong the manager got it then you are defending the main problem.

I've said about 10 times that the real issues start now for Hodgson. If he continues on the same path then he'll quite rightly get criticised. I'm not going to bash him after he had no time to work on almost anything, had numerous injuries, very little technical quality in midfield and a range of player issues that have plagued other managers with much better squads.

Prenn and sendorange repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That I agree with. Apart from anything it implies that if you haven't got the best midfielders in the world you shouldn't bother having any at all.