Euro 2012 Group A: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'Group A - Poland, Greece, Russia, Czech Republic' started by mfw13, Dec 2, 2011.

1. rusrocket

rusrocket Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    With t-34 you don't need a visa:)

2. leszek-antonio

Mar 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Really good analysis. Yes, all three teams are the type of teams that Poland likes to play against (unlike Croatia, Portugal, Denmark, Sweden, England and ofcourse the really top teams...) This is becasue of their style of play, especially Russia is very similar. All three teams aren't technical teams which is good news for Poland.

And yes, at home Poland has always done very well against these three. Much, much better than say against Denmark or Sweden for example.

3. SIFA

SIFA New Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    I'm not gonna predict te outcome of group A. but i want to share a preview i have written for my website:

• Co-host Poland are determined to make it at least through the group stage. Euro 2008 was very disappointing for Poland, they finished last in their group with only one point. That will be the worst-case scenario for Poland this time, so prepare for a furious and aggressive Poland because they will not let that happen.
    • Russia is the highest ranked nation on the FIFA ranking (12th) and have had a great Euro 2008 when they were knocked-out in the semi-finals by final winners Spain, after they beat the Netherlands in the quarter-final. They sure want to match this achievement in 2012. They were the only nation from the current group A who made it through the group stage in 2008.
    • Former champions Greece went from being the best in 2004, to the worst performing team in 2008. The pressure of being the defending champion was too much for Greece four years ago, resulting in 0 (zero) points in the group stage, having scored only one goal (Charisteas vs. Spain). Now is the time to set that straight.
    • When the Czech Republic first entered the European Championship in 1996 (until 1992 as Czechoslovakia) they made it all the way to the final. Eventually Germany was too strong for the Czech Republic in the final. Germany striker Oliver Bierhoff scored the golden goal in extra time and blew the Czech dream to pieces. In 2008 they only managed to win the opening game of Euro 2008 versus Switzerland, and that was all she wrote.
    So, with this little preview we can conclude that all of these teams really have something to play for. Whether it's performing good for the home-crowd (Poland) hungry for more (Russia), or revenge for a disappointing Euro 2008 (Czech Republic, Greece and Poland). The majority may label this group as being the “weak” group, but this group will probably show fun and extincting matches to look forward to. Opening games: Poland vs. Greece on June 8, followed by Russia vs. Czech Republic on June 9.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTXV4qMXoc"]Stadiums[/ame]

4. rusrocket

rusrocket Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    Just out of curiosity, what is ZSSR? I first thought it was a typo, but given the keyboard layout, that doesn't seem to be the case. :)

5. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    i don't know if Zahzah is Polish but its the Polish abbreviation for USSR or CCCP

i think it also works for some other Slavic languages that use the Roman alphabet

but of course you knew that

6. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On QWERTZ Keyboards the Z is right next to the U.
    Because Zahzah lists Crvena Zvezda as his favorite club, he is probably from Serbia. And in Serbia they use QWERTZ.

7. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    How?

8. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    from the context and the smiley face that you used

but if i was wrong and you did not know and the context did not provide you with any clues... then i guess you did not know :)

9. rusrocket

rusrocket Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    It was me who orinally inquired about zssr, and no the context didn't provide me with any clues and no I didn't know why zssr was used instead of ussr.

10. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    right, sorry

and my apologies to g74 as well for the mix up

but seriously, you guys did not get the context of ZSSR? from this paragraph?

Russia: 1 game played, 1 game won (3:1)
    (If you take into ZSSR they have played 6 times with 3 draws and 3 wins for Poland with goals scored/conceded 8:4).

really?

11. rusrocket

rusrocket Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Club:
    Spartak Moskva
    I knew that the country discussed here was Soviet Union, I just didn't know at that moment why ZSSR was used as opposed to USSR and I guess I was to lazy to google it:)

12. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Looks like both Cech and Rosicky are super hot at the right time; the Czech Rep is now becoming a major player in this group.

13. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Certainly Lewandowski, Piszczek and Kuba at "Polonia" Dortmund have done very well this season.

So perhaps those three are grounds for some optimism for Poland.

14. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    those three, home advantage, relatively balanced group are the only point of optimism for the somewhat pessimistic Polish fans

15. CanStriker

CanStriker Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Well I think the Lewandowski-Kerzhakov debate is over.

22 goals, third place in the Bundesliga scoring race for Lewandowski. And his second German title (might add a Cup next week).

16. dlugi

dlugi Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Legnica, Poland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    We're always a bit pessimistic :D But I think it's ok, because we care more about quality of our NT. And I believe that coach and players care too.

But ofcourse, we mostly place hope in those 3 + Szczesny. Defensive formation is our worst fear though.
    [​IMG]

marek repped this.
  17. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    defensive formation or actual defensive players? Wojtek is money...but there is only so much he can do (see Boruc in Euro) I am curious how Perquis plays and whether Smuda will play Polanski with Dudka in middle......the defense is going be a problem area...Piszczek wont be going forward as much ha

18. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lewa looked brilliant again today v. bayern in the cup final...fergie was in the stands to watch the in-form Kagawa but he take note of Lewa terrorizing bayern's defense again
    let's hope his form continues to Euro...

19. marek

marek Member+

Lechia Gdańsk
    Jun 27, 2000
    Club:
    OSP Lechia Gdansk
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland

love that photo!

I've been trying not to get excited about the Euro, expecting our usual ending... but those three are a good spine for the team to build around

20. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah....honestly it seems that it has been a long time since we had three players with this much success playing abroad

21. Smoga

Smoga Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Last time, well....2002 we had Hajto, Waldoch and Dudek. All 3 with leading roles on their teams, but when it came to the nitty gritty they blew it. Now we got four great players all in a different formation, plus perhaps a better supporting cast, and a coach who may have a better understanding of how to utilize them. I believe it's all in Smuda's hands....he must figure out how to get the best out of the team, the way Klopp has done with BvB.

22. dlugi

dlugi Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Legnica, Poland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Actually I meant that in this whole "friendly road to Euro" they've been always playing with another players in the defensive line. I would love to see this line-up in defense with all guys in top form:
    Piszczek(BvB) - Wasilewski (Anderlecht Brussels) - Kamiński (Lech Poznan) - Boenisch (Werder Brema)

but I bet Smuda won't try it. ;p

Don't forget about Murawski from Lech in the middel. Somehow Smuda loves him. I'm not sure if he's better than Polanski, but... maybe he is :p I never compared them before actually.
    And I think that Piszczek will be going forward because as I noticed from last friendlies Polish NT is a BvB-wannabe :) Just compare highlights of the Pokal Final and the Poland - Germany friendly. Trying to press and to counter-attack after receiving the ball. Peszko screwed up three 99% occasions but luckly for us Germans screwed their occasions as well.

Doesn't this look familliar?:D

23. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Boenisch even match fit....i know he has been injured most of the season but he fell out of favor with his coach...
    as for Murawski...he appears to be a more creative player than Polanski...but Polanski's spacing and defensive workrate is much better...Peszko? let's just say that Koln should ask for a refund...
    either way...i like our chances to come of the group as the group is very balanced....we are playing at home and our talent level is right on par with other teams in the group

24. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hajto and waldoch never won a championship....the BVB trio has three trophies..

25. dlugi

dlugi Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Legnica, Poland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You're coming back after a long injury and coach put you in the first 11 vs. Schalke - I wouldn't call it "felling out of favor" :)

Even if he was injured for 90% time of the season I think he's better choice than Wawrzyniak. Wawrzyniak makes stupid mistakes + Boenisch is younger (he should get experience before 2014WC) and simply.. better.