Euro 2004 Player of the Tournment!

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Kontra, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
  2. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    As good as those two players have been, there really hasn't been a standout player to idolize from this tournament. Think of it this way, is there anyone whose play, just based on EURO 2004, deserve the European Player of the Year? I didn't think so.

Coaches, tactics and teams where the benefit of the group is above individual has won here. I prefer to have the players play, despite whatever the coach thinks, but that would personally have me sitting on the bench for thinking that way. Individual genius is frowned upon now. Sachi's way of coaching has won out, even if it meant benching a Roberto Baggio-like player these days. just my opinion.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Rooney if he didn't get hurt.

Baros had a good EURO, especially considering he sucks at Liverpool.

And as much as I despise Portugal, Maniche has played great.

4. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Deco will be player of the year 2004 :) Won championship, won CL and will win European cup

5. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    man, I said this in another thread and I'll say it here, Deco has dissapointed me the most of all the Portuguese, he doesn't do anything, he just complains, after all he did for Porto, he comes on Portugal and dives and cries. Player of the year, ha.

6. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't have said it better.

7. tomvandamn

tomvandamn New Member

Apr 9, 2003
    new york
    this will be awarded alot depending on tommorows game

id say maniche or ronaldo pending on tommorows performance

8. Briman14

Briman14 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    How about Traianos Dellas of Greece? In addition to heading home the winner against the Czechs, he has been the anchor of Greece's outstanding defense. He has been the best defender in the tournament and in my view the most valuable player as well.

9. simao20

simao20 Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SoCal
    My vote goes to Maniche, the most consistent player of the tourn

10. Por2gza

Por2gza New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    AZORES

Why do you dispise Portugal?

11. Por2gza

Por2gza New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    AZORES

You must not be watching the same games as I have been. Seriously Deco has dominated throughout this entire tourny... they all have frankly (all meaning everybody on the Portugal Team) He's contributed all the way to the finals with his outstanding play and I can't wait to see him dominate some more tomorrow in the final.

12. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was disapointed with Deco against England (I think maybe it was Spain?)- he simply wasn't connecting with the others.

In the other games he started he has been very good - although against Holland he did disposessed very easily which was very surprising - he just didn't protect the ball very well when he had it for more than a few touches.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You can't really say Maniche has been the most consistent, his goals were pretty much by luck. And why can't a defender be the man of the tournament? Everyone recognizes the play makers and goal scorers but not the players that defend leads and don't allow any goals.

The Greek defense has been unbelievable throughout the tournament, not so much against Russia, but they held their own against every team they've played and are the most disciplined players of this tournament. They have what Portugal lack in that case, but they lack the sense of attack and adventure that Portugal has.

14. digme

digme New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    i am really surprised somebody at least didn't mention Nedved. What a crock you all are! if he was healthy and the czechs were to pass through, he would have at least been considered by UEFA. To be honest though, it should be Figo, just for the simple fact that he Carried them on his back against Holland. He basically was everywhere for that game, and that for a man that was very upset previous game and walked into locker room tells me he really wants this! watch out Greece! but the greece will most likely tackle him nasty and try to take him out of the game. (the same nonsense that the Italians used to do)

15. VivaPortugal

VivaPortugal New Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    I would vote for Ronaldo...he is an excellent dribbler, a good goal scorer and most important he added something to the team that they were missing in that first game against Greece...he seems to be one of the best...

Others are Milan Baros, Nedved, Figo, Maniche (definitely best goal of tourney), and Ricardo Carvalho...I also think players like Miguel and Ricardo were very important up to this point..

16. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Figo (If Portugal wins and he performs well in the final).

17. Iberian

Iberian Member

Jun 10, 2004
    New Jersey, USA
    I have to go for Figo. Nobody has shown so much involvement with his team as him, even when he left the field pissed off that he was substituted. How he came back against Holland just shows it. Also, Portugal is in the final because of him, and Greece does not have a sharp player deserving of such honor, unless you want to pick Dellas, and defenders don't usually get this far. I'd say that if Portugal wins, it's Figo, and if Portugal does lose Figo for sure. It would be a way for Portugal to get well deserved recognition, and nobody better than Figo for such thing.

Also, as Maniche did score a hell of a goal, I still like Baros' goal against Holland better, as it was a perfect example of team play and execution which was similar to Maniche's (power shot in the far corner). Still, I do think that Maniche will take the honor, he is in the final.

18. Briman14

Briman14 Member

Jun 10, 2004
    If Greece wins tommorow, their is no offensive player you could give the reward to (barring a charisteas double). So why not reward their defense which with the exception of the russia match has held Portugal, Spain, Czech Republic and France to a combined two goals. Dellas has been outstanding throughout and would be a fitting choice.

19. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Figo wins the award then the award is in fact a sham. The award is for player of the tournament not player of the final or semifinal. Just look at what Figo has done so far. He was disappointing against Greece, Russia, Spain, and England. So even if he has a great final that still means he wasn't good in 4 of the 6 matches. That is not "Player of Euro 2004" credentials. To be honest there is no clear cut winner right now. If I was handing out the award I would still give it to Nedved. He was the best player on the field in every match he played. Unfortunately he got hurt. The same applies to Rooney who would still be my second pick. But if it has to come from a player from either Greece or Portugal(which is the inevitable outcome) then there are only 2 contendors: Carvalho and Dellas. Both of these players have been consistent throughout the whole tourny. But somehow I doubt we will see a defender given the award. I'm really anxious to see how UEFA screws this up.

20. BoMBa CLoT

BoMBa CLoT New Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Karagounis hands down!

Figo, Ronaldo, Deco blah blah were all ok, nothing more. Football is not about big famous names which it seems many of the ppl here only concentrate on. When u watch football watch all the players for god's sake.

I never knew Karagounis till this tournament and the way he held the flag for the Greek was truly astonishing! But now u wouldn't know anything about that, WOULD YOU? U were busy watching Ronaldo dancing like a putz and then falling over with the mildest of touches... yeah a great player indeed.

21. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, how in fact are you related to Karagounis? Cousin? Brother-in-law?

22. Por2gza

Por2gza New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    AZORES
    Nah, I still feel that he contributed a lot during this whole tournament. He has done a lot of ball control, quick passes, and has made an all in all superb appearance to take Portugal to the finals. I know he will continue to do so in the final this afternoon.

23. Por2gza

Por2gza New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    AZORES
    I don't think I've ever replied to something you've written, although I have been tempted to, and now that I read this post of yours, you have definitely made me want to say something. Clearly you are not a Portugal fan (which makes us pretty opposites i guess you can say) but clearly you don't know anything about Figo because he has done outstanding., He's the captain and will always be the captain even when not playing and deserves player of the tournament over anybody.. even if the other player scores 30 goals, or the other defenceman blocks 2000 shots. He is the one that creates all the passes, goals, everything in the game.. he's the "talker" to position his team when they aren't in position.
    You say that "He was disappointing against Greece, Russia, Spain, and England" haha.... that's bull, although i betcah those are one of your teams?
    Come on, get seroius dude and UEFA is going to pick a player from Portugal as clearly they've done very well.

24. Kontra

Kontra New Member

May 27, 2004
    Porto
    Deco's performance in this Euro is being underrated. The diference with him playing and not Rui Costa (who is a wonderfull player) is brutal. Everyone seeks Deco in the pitch to give him the ball for him to coordinate the Portuguese atack. Its impressive how many times the ball passes by his feet. Beside that, his defensive job is outstanding.

But still, he's playing only at 70% cause of an exaustive season.

25. Pazarius

Pazarius New Member

Jan 10, 2004
    England
    I don't think any Portuguese attacking player deserves the award. They have all been too inconsistent.

I think picking any Greek player would be an insult to the other Greek players, and would detract from the real message Greece's success brings; that the best players don't always make the best team. And it's the best team that wins.

Personally, I think the award should go to a player who has been outstanding in every game he's played, even if that means picking someone from a team eliminated earlier in the competition.

If they have to pick a player from Portugal or Greece, probably Carvalho deserves it most.

Figo? No, no matter what he does in the final he doesn't deserve it. He has (or should have) taken himself out of the running with four average performances.