Euro 08 Qualifiers: Other Teams [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by MicFW, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm, I have not watched the france game, but I have to totally disagree about them at WC06.

They deserved to win against spain, thoroughly outplayed brazil and did enough to win against portugal. Then had italy on the back foot for most of the 2nd half and extra time.

But yeah, this result is a big result for scotland!

2. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ********! Godamn France, had to ******** themselves over. Ugh.......right when it matters.

3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    They really should have been dumped out in the first round. Unfortunately none of the teams in there group were able to take advantage of the horendous showing they had in the group phase.

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That is true, but then korea and togo can say that they were lucky that france didn't turn up as well :) So that logic can go both ways.

5. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIRST to Qualify

I posted this elsewhere, but I thought it would be good here, too!

First to Qualify:

D: Germany needs 1 point in either of two October matches to Qualify.

A: Poland can qualify in October if it beats Kazahkstan, and Portugal and Serbia lose both of their October games (to Azerbaijan, Armenia, and Kazahkstan)
    B: Scotland can qualify in October if it beats Ukraine, and France loses to Faroe Islands and Lithuania (yeah, right)
    C: Greece can qualify in October if it beats Bosnia and Turkey.
    E: Croatia can qualify in October if it beats Israel and either England beats Russia.
    F: Sweden can qualify in October if it beats Liechtenstein and Northern Ireland.
    G: The winner of Romania-Netherlands can qualify in October if they win their second October game, and Bulgaria does not win in Albania.

Germany looks like a pretty good choice since they have 7 wins and 1 draw so far!

6. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  7. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: FIRST to Qualify

This isn't meant in an arrogant way, but

Does anyone else agree with this sentiment...

I, as a germany supporter, have never in my lifetime ever been worried about not qualifying. The quals have always been "overlooked".

being at the tournament always felt like a formality. In fact, until the quarters it's always felt like a formality too...

anyone else agree?

8. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I absolutely agree.....did we have ever any problem to qualify?....and we are good tournament team...

if I look at current qualification games...Italy, France - both played in finale in world cup - and now?:).....Germany is the best team in Europe now.

we must win the European Cup...cause we are the best....
    maybe it sounds arrogant too....but I don´t know better team in Europe currently!!!

it is pleasure to watch our team!!!!

9. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Well, yes. In 2001 we had to go to the play-offs with Ukraine. It was after the home loss against England which they celebrated until recently like a WC title.

Yes, but I would not be too overconfident. It is still 9 months away and a lot can happen like the injury pest we have right now. I still think we need Frings + Ballack in the midfield and a fit Klose up front if we want to win the whole thing. Of course there is a whole Bundesliga season in between and some of the younger players can improve and impress. The good thing is that we have a real competition for the starting XI since the WC. Almost no place is guaranteed anymore.

10. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

yes I remember this game....however, look where finished England in WC 02..and where finished Germany....we played in Finale...England won qualifying game....and they celebrated it like wild....5:1 in Munich...however, they can not win important games:)....But in general, Germany always qualified.

I know I´m too optimistic...and as you right said many things can happen until Euro 2008..
    last Euro also won Greece - totally unexpected....so anything is possible....however, looking at current performance of European teams, Germany is the BEST.

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Lets not forget that was only the second loss EVER for the German national team in WC qualifiers.

I was worried that we wouldn't qualify that year, but thankfully Ballack and schneider had 2 huge games against Ukraine.

We have been piss poor in the last 2 EC's so lets hope that things return to normal (IE semifinals or better finish). I would be perfectly happy with any finish in the top 4 after EC2000 and EC2004. That way we can prove that WC2002 and WC2006 were not just flukes.

12. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't share that line of thinking because, do you know what germany's euro record was like before 2000?
    60,64 - did not enter. sepp herberger thought it was pointless. he only focused on world cups.
    68 - missed out on final four simply due to overconfidence in the last game away in albania. drew it 0-0
    72 - FIRST - landslide win
    76 - SECOND - on penalties. This loss is overlooked always. England should stop blaming it on bad luck and work on improving like germany did here.
    80 - FIRST - very impressive win
    84 - QUARTERS - something like 68 really, but also due to inability to finish spain off after dominating play.
    88 - SEMI
    92 - SECOND
    96 - FIRST

Then add the world cup ones to that. And there was never a world cup where we didn't get to the quarters.

The two euros in 00 and 04 are like little dents that's all.

Also, nobody would say that 02 or 06 were flukes. Especially given how convinving each game in 06 was. And how good the team has been since. In 02, if I am not mistaken, half the side was from the CL runners up, and half from the CL champions of the year before. Better than the resumes of england's so called "world class" players these days ;). Also, in 01 and 02, the BL was higher in the UEFA coefficients than the EPL. I am just using the english argument back on them now.

Personally, I would be somewhat disappointed with anything other than winning the trophy.

The german national team is celebrated a bit too much for coming 3rd recently on all levels ;) Ballack was right in ein sommermarchen with his point. 3rd and even 2nd is no big deal at all for the national side.

13. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah, good for Scotland, but I also hope France can qualify nonetheless. Third place for Italy, that would be a laugh!

Very bleak outlook for Ireland now, they are basically out of the race. Too bad, I hoped that they could make it this time, especially with the Czechs going south!

14. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I love Scotland. Realized it at around half time yesterday

15. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR

I think if we had to qualify for WC2006, we wouldn't make it :eek:

16. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea I hope they qualify as well. It's a shame a group with Italy, France and a strong team like Scottland will only have two spots. I can't imagine a Euro Cup without Henry, Sagnol or Ribery.

AHHHH!!

17. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Actually a lot of people think that 06 was due to home team advantage.

And 02 was also considered to be a bit of a fluke given Germany's extremely poor form in qualifying as well as the 2 EC's either side of the tourney.

Lets not forget that in 2004 there was a lot of talk going around about Germany's great 40 year run finally comming to a close. So this year's ECs and the 2010 WC are a great way to brush off those fears.

18. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

no, Klinsi would have managed it!!!...we would have qualified!... look how we played at Confedcup.....so why we should not qualify for the WC 06?

19. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

No, not a lot. Ony certain people and we know who they are. :)

Same nonsense from the same people. The final showed that the team was actually quite good. It was not Germanys fault that Spain and Italy managed to lose to Korea. Also by the same standards Italy's title in 06 could be called a "fluke" given how crappy they played in the group phase.

This kind of argument is coming usually from people who have never won anything meaningful since 40 years. :D

This "lot of talk" and those "fears" where again mostly wishful thinking from some people. :D For me the low point was not the EC 2004 but the EC 2000. I think with better tactics we could have done better in 2004.

Anyway the downturn started already in 1998. Thats almost ten years ago. Back then a number of changes in the youth work etc. were set slowly into motion though largly unnoticed by the general public let alone abroad. It is not that Klinsmann/Löw came into an empty space and didn't have any young talents to work with or something. Yes they brought in a lot of new fresh ideas, tactics into it etc.. But the turnaround came not out of nowhere.

20. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yggdrasil: I agree with you whole heartedly, but I just love playing devil's advocate with squidward. Sometimes his comments regarding the German team are so exagerated that its embarassing.

21. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    BTW, did anyone here see Portugal and Scolari sinking to another low yesterday?

22. Yggdrasil

Yggdrasil New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Actually France were the much better team in that game. But again they couldn't score.

23. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

:eek::D